Old 11-29-2015, 11:27 PM   #1

Cruise light 282 xm radio antenna

I am trying to figure the best way to route an xm antenna. The radio is located in the middle of the trailer. I am not sure how to run the antenna to the outside of the trailer while keeping the wire inconspicuous.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:59 AM   #2

Hi Happy, like the name. In the picture you can see my xm receiver right under the television. I love satellite radio and needed to listen to margaritaville while camping...lol. I'll tell you how I did mine, and see if it helps you. I pulled the radio and there is a large space behind it. To the right of the TV there is a small space maybe 2"8" that goes up to the ceiling. This was used as a wire chase for speaker wires and other things. On the side of the entertainment center, which you can't see in the picture is a panel. I took a thin blade flat bar and popped the 1" trim that goes around the panel off. Then I pulled of the 3/16" thick plywood panel off. This exposed all the wiring and the wire chase. I took a 1/4" thick x 12" long drill bit, I pushed it around in the insulation a bit to see if I could feel any wires. When it felt ok I drilled a hole through the roof. There was not enough space to get your hand in the ceiling to pull the antenna wire down, so I used a small snake. I secured the antenna to the roof and sealed it. Hooked up all the wires on the inside, used a small Brad gun and put the panel and trim back on. It worked great all wires neatly hidden and I get perfect reception. Two things to be concerned about: once you drill through the roof I'm sure it voids any warranty, and two make sure you use a sealant compatable with your roof material. It really wasn't that hard, but I have no issues taking things apart. Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1448894297584.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	95272  

abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:14 PM   #3

A bomb, great job! Thank you for sharing! I've been completely spoiled by having xm and can't go back to good old fm! I think I will take things apart and check it out. I'm pretty handy and it's good to know it's possible! I was even thinking of somehow tapping into the existing radio antenna on both ends (as it is only an antenna) to avoid drilling. I haven't had a chance to really get into it and see for myself. Always good to see what other fine folks have done first!
Old 12-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #4

That's not a bad idea. Using the existing antenna as a snake to pull the XM wire through the roof. It could make things alot easier.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:55 AM   #5

I'm like you guys- I gotta have my satellite radio! I take my portable receiver and set in inside the outdoor storage area behind my entertainment/fireplace center. It's a first generation radio and puts out a real strong FM signal. I just put the FM receiver on 98.9 and it works pretty good. My antenna just goes on the table below the storage area. Not the greatest setup, but it will do until this spring when I can run/hide the antenna wire. Do you guys have your antenna on top of the RV? You're a brave man to drill through the roof!

Edit: Abomb- just saw your satellite receiver in the picture. Didn't notice it before. I think that's the same one I have. Do you run a hard wire or just use the FM output like I do? Thanks.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:08 AM   #6

Hi tdst51, I ran the wire. The aux plug for the trailer radio is in the back of it. So I had to pull the radio out to plug it in. I get perfect reception.

Tags
antenna, light, radio