Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2019, 10:06 PM   #1

CURT 51180 Echo Mobile Electric Trailer Brake Controller Bluetooth-Enabled

CURT 51180 Echo Mobile Electric Trailer Brake Controller with Bluetooth-Enabled Smartphone Connection

If I lose my wireless on my computer, I lose my web page. If I lose connectivity to my trailer will I lose my trailer.

It says it will use the last settings programmed into it. I do not think I would trust my TT with this.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
Site Team

The Bluetooth connection has absolutely nothing to do with the control of the brakes. That's all handled internally in the controller. The Bluetooth connection just sets the gain and boost and allows you to see the output, but the control is done whether there's a Bluetooth connection or not. I know there's a lot of doubt, but it's as safe as a hardwired unit. In fact it is a hardwired unit, it's just located somewhere besides in the cab.

The only issue I really see with it is if you got into a sway condition and lost the connection you couldn't manually apply the brakes to straighten you out. Realistically how often does that happen in a properly set up combination?
Old 11-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
The Bluetooth connection has absolutely nothing to do with the control of the brakes. That's all handled internally in the controller. The Bluetooth connection just sets the gain and boost and allows you to see the output, but the control is done whether there's a Bluetooth connection or not. I know there's a lot of doubt, but it's as safe as a hardwired unit. In fact it is a hardwired unit, it's just located somewhere besides in the cab.

The only issue I really see with it is if you got into a sway condition and lost the connection you couldn't manually apply the brakes to straighten you out. Realistically how often does that happen in a properly set up combination?

It only takes ONCE and that can happen with even the best of setups. A huge gust of wind, driver swerving to avoid a LARGE object in the road (it's instinctive), or even someone suddenly swerving into your lane, can cause your trailer to have a mind of it's own.

No thanks, I'll stick with a hardwired unit. Something to consider about Smartphones. Most will go into a blank screen mode after a certain amount of time to save battery. Waking it up can require all kinds of different methods depending on the phone type and user settings.

Somehow I don't see having to first "wake up" my phone in order to get to the Emergency Stop button as a benefit at all. Think of all the damage that could occur while doing so and if the user is ultra security conscious they might even have to enter a password.

I guess I could see the benefit of something like this in the "Rental Market" if the tow vehicle has a factory wired 7-pin receptacle at the bumper but no controller wired in.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #4

It has good reviews, I am guessing you old timers ( no offense, I am almost there!) don’t like the technology. I am adding one to my TV. I believe I will give it a try.
NCScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCScott View Post
It has good reviews, I am guessing you old timers ( no offense, I am almost there!) don’t like the technology. I am adding one to my TV. I believe I will give it a try.
Aren't you glad we live here in the US where we're free to disagree.

In my case it's not the "technology" but the lack of a perceived need.

I know it's the "in thing" today to control everything from one's Smart Phone. I can monitor my batteries, see who's at my front door, turn on or off my alarm system, access my bank(s), spy on my kids (via a family location app), tell my insurance company how good I'm being on the highway, and on, and so forth.

I just don't see the need to control my trailer brakes from my phone.

Has nothing to do with being an old fart or "Luddite". My old brake controller is doing a great job and my phone is doing too much

An added thought. Be sure to leave the phone in the truck when you go to a Forest Service pit toilet. Lose it down the hole and it will be "no brakes" on the way home. Horrors!!!!

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
An added thought. Be sure to leave the phone in the truck when you go to a Forest Service pit toilet. Lose it down the hole and it will be "no brakes" on the way home. Horrors!!!!
Once its set up, there is no need for the phone, It gets its settings from the phone and keeps them until you want to change them later.

The main disadvantage is manual control of the brakes.

Its useful for people that don't have wiring already installed on their tow vehicle or tow with many vehicles.

The problem is people don't understand how they work and have this vision that with no phone there are no brakes which is entirely untrue.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, controller, electric, led, trailer