Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2019, 02:47 AM   #1

Curt echo wireless brake controller

Hey Everyone,
Just bought a 2019 Geo Pro 19fd and can't wait to get outdoors as soon as this snow melts up here! Brrrr

So here's my question... Instead of the traditional brake controller that's mounted below the steering wheel on the dash trim, I'm considering buying the Curt Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller. Has anyone had any experiences using this product?
I'd just prefer something that isn't permanently attached to my new vehicle and the option of using it on different vehicles/trailers.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
GeoPro Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #2

Never heard of that one.. interesting though..

I've used a Prodigy P3 in the past.. it is removable and you can purchase additional wiring harnesses as well if needed and use it in another vehicle.

Bluetooth is generally pretty good. However, I've had issues using headsets outside in the past. I don't know I'd I'd want to trust potentially my life on it.. you never know when an issue will arise when it's absolutely needed. A wired connection is probably better but maybe someone else will chime in that's actually used it.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #3

I just looked at this on the e-trailer site. Looks like the only real difference in operation is that you use your Smartphone (bluetooth) to engage the brakes manually. The unit is "wired" just like the others but instead of having to buy a harness or tap factory wiring, it uses what it needs from the 7-Pin socket.

I can see it's attraction for those who tow may have to rent/borrow a truck to tow a trailer with brakes.

Considering how often I use the manual lever I don't really see the need to have your phone app running as a big issue other than in an emergency. If I had one of these I might dedicate one of my old phones to this task with the app running all the time with nothing else. Since it would only need bluetooth even a phone with no service would work just fine.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post

Bluetooth is generally pretty good. However, I've had issues using headsets outside in the past. I don't know I'd I'd want to trust potentially my life on it.. you never know when an issue will arise when it's absolutely needed. A wired connection is probably better but maybe someone else will chime in that's actually used it.

The great thing is, it uses 'profiles' you create for different tow vehicles/tow trailers... So if your phone battery dies or you lose BT connectivity all together, the brake controller still works using the last used profile. The only downfall is not being able to use the manual emerge braking button.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:47 PM   #5

I actually work in the technology industry.

Give me manual hard-wired any day of the week. Less fiddle that way.

Just my opinion.. yours may differ.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #6

RVI Brake System, best on the market, small, lightweight, comes with tablet and wifi hub adjustable real time braking updates, Google RVI and go to their site.
Flapjackdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I actually work in the technology industry.

Give me manual hard-wired any day of the week. Less fiddle that way.

Just my opinion.. yours may differ.
Especially on a brake controller that you absolutely want to work 100% of the time.

Bluetooth isn't anywhere near that reliable.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #8

Can you picture it.. emergency braking situation.. dig the phone out of your pocket, fiddle around trying to find the app on your phone.. 2-3 seconds to launch and connect. Then find the manual button and tap to engage.

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me.

I can reach down and run the lever much better. Less fiddle for an already tense moment.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #9

suggest you look at Prodigy RF brake controller

The Prodigy RF brake controller has worked very well for me the last 5 years. Nothing is installed in the tow vehicle, the manual control plugs into lighter socket. It would be much easier in an emergency situation to grab the manual control instead of pulling out my phone, turning it on, finding an app, and then puting on the brakes...........
jerryinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #10

I guess I didn't make it clear. The RVI Brake System goes inside the tow vehicle on the floorpan. It attaches to the break pedal and plugs into 12v for setup and alignment in 30 seconds. It use inertia to brake the tow vehicle using it's own brakes. It has a safety cable if you tow connection should break between the RV and the tow. The tablet monitors your braking and connection in real time inside the RV. I dont fiddle with anything, sensitivity can be set between emergency and normal braking operations. Works flawlessly. No hardwired to run and I know my tow vehicle is going to stop. Hope this clears the confusion.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:53 AM   #11

Sunseeker 2400R MBS, Ford Ranger tow.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #12
24v

I agree with the Prodigy RF suggestion. I have used mine on 2 different trailers and trucks and it works perfect. I love that I can put it away in the glove box when not in use, then pull it out and plug into a cig lighter when I want to use it.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:35 PM   #13

Bought me a Echo and plan to take its first trip this week. Heard good things from a company that uses them in their business.
bvfdchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:18 PM   #14

You'll love it. So simple and easy to set up and works great.

Tags
brake control, controller