Old 06-12-2015, 08:35 AM   #1
Damage caused by dealership

I really could use some thoughts and advice from the wise experienced members, please. We bought a new 2015 Sabre 5th wheel late last August that I dearly love. It had a few warranty repair issues, but the dealership was very helpful and we agreed those would be dealt with when we brought it back to be winterized. We took it in to be winterized in October and it took all winter to get it back (waiting on parts from the factory). To be honest, this was not a major problem but now things turn tricky. We have 3 major camping trips planned starting in less than 2 weeks and all reservations have been paid, and we are looking forward to them. In rearranging the basement, we noticed the water filter case was shattered then that the outdoor shower head was cracked. We talked to the dealer and they agreed to look at it, as well as check why the bedroom carpet was wet from all our rain.
Got a call from dealership, and they said all water lines had to be replaced, all faucets and the airconditioner had to be replaced. I'm not sure how the air conditioner fit into this delemma, but they are replacing it. There was not a drop of antifreeze in the camper, so it just hadn't gotten winterized.They said the water leak in the bedroom was from a faulty window calking which the fixed. ( I wonder how the window leaked with the slide in, is this possible.).
Now to make an already long post be short, if this was your new camper, can you tell me if there are other thing that should be checked?
We are crossing our fingers to get it back in time for our trip. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated

Proud owner of a 2015 Sabre 33RET S-6, Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Denise S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #2
Bummer. If you paid to have it winterized and it was a good sum of money I would wait till all repairs were complete and then demand reimbursement or credit for the winterization that obviously did not occur. Hope this issue gets ironed out justly for you.

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
Did they replace the WH? If there was water in the heater it also has to be replaced.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #4
Everything with (WATER) needs replaced! Toilet/Water heater/o/s Shower! You are talking (MAJOR REPAIR)! When they said (ALL the Water Lines) need replaced they have NOT checked all the other (Water Items)! Your in for a LONG deal! Have they talked about a (NEW) trade? Youroo!!
youroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Have they talked about a (NEW) trade?
I would pursue that. I can't imagine they would have the entire water system replaced before your scheduled trip. You had very limited use and the damage was a result of their negligence.

Bum deal... I feel for you.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:15 AM   #6
I would demand a new RV. You will never be sure they repaired everything inside the walls. And how much damage to the floors/walls/ceiling has already begun because of the water intrusion?

For what you are paying for the unit, it's not worth having one that is now questionable because of their actions.
"Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been." ~ Jimmy Buffet

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #7
Whatever you choose to do (have repairs or demand replacement) the dealer needs to provide a "loaner" camper for your scheduled outings. I would also be sure to have in writing that they will pay for repairs if that is the option you choose. Their shop doesn't sound very reliable.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
I would like to know the dealership so as to stay away from them.
hilitephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
I would to since it's in Iowa!
If they bought it where they live that is.

08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:37 PM   #10
You really don't know how much damage has been done. It could take months or even multiple seasons to show. I would be especially concerned about the water heater. And as was mentioned by someone else, there could be water intrusion/damage that is unseen now that could take multiple seasons to show itself.

Don't be too nice! You deserve a new unit - and if a suitable one isn't on their lot now you deserve a loaner/rental unit for your upcoming camping trip!

If necessary, make a BBB report ... and if a local TV station in the area has one of those consumer reporting segments like "10 On Your Side" on whatever, give them a call if your don't make any headway.

You invested good money and you left your unit in their hands in good faith for them to do the job you paid them to do. IF they had followed-through, your investment would have been protected. You did your part, they didn't. They are liable/responsible. RVs can be money pits enough and they've put your unit at serious increased risk for problems.

Good Luck.

305RESGUY is offline   Reply With Quote