Old 10-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockhals View Post
so if I leave the vents cracked and a window or two I should be alright using the propane heater?
Yes. I leave a ceiling vent cracked is all. Also depends on how often the door is used etc.

jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #12

Whoa! The propane combustion for a heater happens in the chamber that is totally outside your RV. If there was a leak between that external chamber and the inside of your RV you would have a big danger of carbon monoxide poisoning. There is no way that water vapor from your heater is entering your RV. In fact, heating the cold inside air as it flows thru the heat exchanger will reduce the relative humidity of that air.

Use of your gas stove and oven do inject water vapor into your RV, as does your own breathing. You need to have a window/vent open slightly to allow moisture from those sources to escape.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #13

First, I believe the moisture has a more organic component - ie. people. We are 70% h2o and it tends to come out at night in breathing and sweat. We camp with 4 or 5 in the trailer and the windows can be really fogged up on cooler autumn mornings.

LP does break down to water vapor in our garage with a catalytic heater, but RVs have heat exchangers that keep the burn byproducts out of the unit, particularly since CO is a big component of the exhaust.

Now all that moisture hangs around and can probably evaporate as the day warms up just to condense on surfaces again. Best plan, open a window at one end and a vent at the other to get some airflow through at night and in storage.

Frankly I have been planning on getting a small dehumidifier, and I like the sounds of that LG unit.
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Whoa! The propane combustion for a heater happens in the chamber that is totally outside your RV. If there was a leak between that external chamber and the inside of your RV you would have a big danger of carbon monoxide poisoning. There is no way that water vapor from your heater is entering your RV. In fact, heating the cold inside air as it flows thru the heat exchanger will reduce the relative humidity of that air.

Use of your gas stove and oven do inject water vapor into your RV, as does your own breathing. You need to have a window/vent open slightly to allow moisture from those sources to escape.
dead on right IMHO.

It's obvious over night, especially on cold nights, when all the windows are literally dripping with condensation. Furnace set to 60. Every day, once everyone is dressed, I turn off the heater, open all windows a little. In a hour or so, no moisture. Then we'll close windows and turn the heater back on. No moisture the rest of the day. Why? Because the door is opened often and we're not inside much, so there's less exhaled moisture and more air movement.

Bottom line: ventilation is good.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #15

Used the furnace all weekend with a couple windows cracked and the vents opened as well...no condensation at all!! Did however burn thru a full tank of propane though. How long do these normally last? 40 lbs gone!
brockhals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #16

you must have had very cold weather or thermostat set high. Open windows will let out what heat you did make. Did you crack a windows in your bedroom or open it? A 40# bottle lasts me a while, but you have to use some restraint...keep thermostat set low, only heat at night, etc. Use trial and error until you get what works for you.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #17

ya, it got down into the mid 40s Friday night, and mid 30s Saturday night. Plus ran basically all day Saturday until it warmed up enough for the misses...

I cracked a bedroom window, the kitchen window, and had two vents cracked as well. Probably lost some heat with the vents but that's better than waking up wet!
brockhals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #18

We use 30lb. of propane in 7 days when running the furnace heating water and cooking.
A dehumidifier is the way to go. You will feel warmer and use less gas trying to keep the TT warm.

caper is offline   Reply With Quote