Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #21
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDually View Post
Don't know if this would apply for a RV VIN but....

Several years ago I received a letter from the Impound lot saying they have an abandoned 1977 Camaro stored there that the VIN was traced back to me. The storage charges were approaching $1,000.00.

I did own a 1977 Camaro but sold it around 1993 so I no longer had the bill of sale or anything proving I sold the car.

Turned out the car in question had the identical VIN to the Camaro I owned where it was copied to the derelict Camaro.

Why it was traced back to me than to the people who bought it or whom ever they sold it to I couldn't find out.
In Texas the DVM has a form you can complete when you sell a vehicle that lets the DVM know you have sold it. I have used it in the past and never had a problem.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #22

I have to Laugh about the (Vin#s)! When you find out PLEASE let the Service Tecks at Goshen know how to find them! Site#s/LPNs/are a PAIN to find at Elkhart Fairgrounds! The best place to hide if you were (On the lamb) would be the Rally! Its HARD to locate Members! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I have to Laugh about the (Vin#s)! When you find out PLEASE let the Service Tecks at Goshen know how to find them! Site#s/LPNs/are a PAIN to find at Elkhart Fairgrounds! The best place to hide if you were (On the lamb) would be the Rally! Its HARD to locate Members! Youroo!!
It's not the rally we are talking about, it is the internet we are talking about.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
It's not the rally we are talking about, it is the internet we are talking about.
I know what were talking about, VIN#s I can go to any RV dealer and copy all you want! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker1944 View Post
Tin helmets anyone?
More stylish and better coverage....

Old 06-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #26

We have more important things to think about... such as where are my keys?

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:41 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
We have more important things to think about... such as where are my keys?
If its not my keys, then it's where's my phone.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker1944 View Post
Tin helmets anyone?
I keep going back and forth. Which do you prefer? Just normal rolled sheet or HVAC tape? Tape sure stays in place better through any outdoor activity, but it's so much easier getting a nice peak for maximum signal deflection with the rolled sheet.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:38 PM   #29
Always Learning

Good stuff, everyone. Thanks for answering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
For automobiles/trucks etc....A person can copy the VIN # and go to a dealer to order a remote or a key...I cover my VIN with a blank business card...J

What's interesting is that where I live, the police department offers vin etching on every window in order to mitigate the risk of your car being stolen.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:52 PM   #30

VIN.....

OMG.......really. I'm 70yo and never heard of such a non-issue
Maybe paranoia .....😳
craigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:01 PM   #31
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
In the case your talking about, it's more about a scammer using the posted pics, including having the VIN, and possibly "selling" a camper they don't possess, via online ads such as rvtrader.. In which case, the buyer who buys site unseen, exchanges monies site unseen, is the one stuck after they think they're getting a screaming deal.

I may be wrong, but I believe this is the concern
BINGO

With a VIN I can post a vehicle for sale, you can run a CarFax on it that will show it clean, then I can set up a meet and rob you when you show up.

The less you post online about who and where you are, the better.
Try not to voluntarily be a victim.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #32

danger of posting vin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I have been warned in the past and commonly black out my VIN when posting pictures of my yellow or white stickers on the camper. And, I just saw a post where a classified ad was warned and pic removed for the same. On the flip side, I texted pics of stickers to a buddy here on the forum and he chuckled that I blacked it out- saying that he sees hundreds of VINs in a week and wasn't sure why people were concerned.

I'm curious what the risk is here? Given a VIN, what dastardly deeds can actually be done?
Oh my God. Doesn't anyone have common sense any more. Every motor vehicle and trailer has a VIN in plain view. if you want the vin from any vehicle all you have to do is look for it. all cars and trucks have them right in the dash that can be seen by looking in the windshield.
gunn1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:49 PM   #33
Who Dares, Wins

I recently took a case where a female moved here from out of state to rent a home in the town I work. She sent her deposit had keys sent to her, had a contract, spoke to the property owner.. She showed up and put the keys in the lock and they did not work so she called us when she was unable to reach the "home owner." Turns out pictures of the newly rebuild home (burnt down in a fire 6 months ago) were on the internet and were used to set up a rental on a reputable realtor site. A total scam. This is about all I could think a real threat might come from.

I do not know if our PennDOT records are open to the public anymore for a small fee(used to be $10), but VINs are in plain site on car's dashes, under most of the rear license plates and on other key parts in a vehicle or on the frame if you know where to look.

I know from a VIN in PA here I get your name and address I then can open name and date of birth search you by registered city or just open and find you. NJ gives your driver's license number attached to your tag when I run it. I also says whether you are a licensed driver or not and some even give a phone number and driving record. I cannot remember if NJ gives your SS# on a tag but it does when I run your NJ DL# (if I see a NJ tag tonight I'll check).

Most states are this way now, some even return a photo from the owner's driver's license. I get a photo back when I run the driver's license number. PA tag and VIN checks only just provides tag, expiration, owner name and address and whether it is a suspended tag for no insurance or unpaid / bounced registration check (there are two other reason they can be suspended as well but I have only seen them a few times in 10 years).

So maybe a slight risk is out there.... But I do not think it might be as much as a threat as one might think. That being said I try to block out my tag on my truck and trailer if I notice it just so no one tries to find me due to my job. I had been tracked down once before. I also try to keep photos of me and my family off the internet. It is just safe, common sense internet security procedures IMO.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #34
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunn1976 View Post
Oh my God. Doesn't anyone have common sense any more. Every motor vehicle and trailer has a VIN in plain view. if you want the vin from any vehicle all you have to do is look for it. all cars and trucks have them right in the dash that can be seen by looking in the windshield.
While this is certainly true, posting that same information on a web site visible all over the world is just silly, IMO.

I am sure that the Libyan prince who has my identical trailer full of gold bars that needs a place to store it till he gets here, came to my driveway to copy my VIN.

Seriously, why post sensitive information for the world to take note?
Old 06-28-2015, 07:07 PM   #35
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
BINGO

With a VIN I can post a vehicle for sale, you can run a CarFax on it that will show it clean, then I can set up a meet and rob you when you show up.

The less you post online about who and where you are, the better.

Try not to voluntarily be a victim.

But that isn't a danger to ME posting MY vin.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #36

Don't show VIN. The real issue is that someone can find you. Lots of folks have license plates in photos.

The special cases(gods children, all of them) may think you have wronged them in some way and want to find you. I am not worried about these flakes but they are out there.

Sorry for being harsh, these folks have nothing to do but imagine.

Ps. I am not a gun nut. Momma won't let me.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:17 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
For automobiles/trucks etc....A person can copy the VIN # and go to a dealer to order a remote or a key...I cover my VIN with a blank business card...J
I tried that once for a friend. She lost her keys, gave me the VIN and I stopped by the Chevy dealer on the way home. The VIN gave them the key code, but they would NOT duplicate a key since my name did not match the name on the sales record of the vehicle. And I had my own Silverado and Hummer serviced at that dealer for five years. They also would not accept her information over the phone.

I had to go pick her up and bring her to the dealer for the key!

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:21 PM   #38
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
But that isn't a danger to ME posting MY vin.
Quite right.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #39
Always Learning

Danger of posting VIN?

... hey mods, delete me ...
Old 06-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'll tell you why, not long ago near here someone took a vin "posted on ebay" from a camper for sale and fraudulently listed the same camper on Craigs list.
The fraudulent Craigs list add sold and collected the money .
When the buyer went to the fraudulent fake address there was no camper.

The authorities did a vin look up and went to the real owners house and untill the scam was figured out "about 14" weeks the guy couldn't sell the camper as it was impounded untill they figured out what was going on.

Do what you want because you will anyway.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote