Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
Always Learning

Danger of posting VIN?

I have been warned in the past and commonly black out my VIN when posting pictures of my yellow or white stickers on the camper. And, I just saw a post where a classified ad was warned and pic removed for the same. On the flip side, I texted pics of stickers to a buddy here on the forum and he chuckled that I blacked it out- saying that he sees hundreds of VINs in a week and wasn't sure why people were concerned.

I'm curious what the risk is here? Given a VIN, what dastardly deeds can actually be done?
Old 06-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #2

?? don't know what can be done, VIN is on trailer in plain view, so ?
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm curious what the risk is here? Given a VIN, what dastardly deeds can actually be done?
I don't think there is much risk. The "Drivers Privacy Protection Act" is supposed to protect your personal information from non-permitted use, however, there are a few ways around that. With a VIN about the only information a person could get would be your name and address. From there it's "possible" to run a credit check on you, but I don't know of many would be thieves that are too interested in your credit rating.

I guess it's feasible that some folks might think giving a would be thief the current location of your rig might be a risk, but I highly doubt an RV highjacking ring would make a road trip to pinch your rig.

IMO, much ado about nuthin.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #4
B47

Were there any reasons given for warning you not to post VIN number?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Were there any reasons given for warning you not to post VIN number?

Nope, just a general ominous "it's a bad idea to post your VIN on a public forum".
Old 06-27-2015, 02:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Nope, just a general ominous "it's a bad idea to post your VIN on a public forum".
Just an overzealous mod.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Just an overzealous mod.

Nah- it's not mods. This was a regular visitor and I've not only seen the warnings here. It's one of those "common knowledge" things; but I've never heard of specifics for what can actually happen.

I'm really just curious.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #8

I don't know how common knowledge it is.. I've never heard of. I would imagine if there were much of an issue then dealerships wouldn't display a vehicles VIN online as a matter of course.

There might be something to it.. I dunno. It might just be falling into the general scare of "never share any personal information online". It'll be interesting to see what others have to say on the matter.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #9

I am a police officer, certain states (NJ) have the owners name, DOB, SS# and address when I run the vin# on their vehicles. Haven't run an RV from NJ yet but can't imagine that information excluded.
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:03 PM   #10
Site Team

33 yrs in law enforcement. Can't imagine why showing a vin would cause trouble. Someone enlighten us.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #11

I see some pics on FRF of license plates that are blurred out.

Of course, I'm not smart enough to know how to do that.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:20 PM   #12

In the case your talking about, it's more about a scammer using the posted pics, including having the VIN, and possibly "selling" a camper they don't possess, via online ads such as rvtrader.. In which case, the buyer who buys site unseen, exchanges monies site unseen, is the one stuck after they think they're getting a screaming deal.

I may be wrong, but I believe this is the concern
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:58 PM   #13

Now, this is not an opinion of what you should or shouldn't do or whatever. This post reminded me of a story I recently read and I'm passing it along as best as I can.

A person was arrested for driving a stolen car, though the car was really theirs. As it happened, the vin # was copied and put on a stolen car of the same make & model & year & then that car was sold "legally". That car was stolen from the new owner & reported stolen. The police spotted the original person in this story driving their car & arrested them. I guess it all worked out in the end after a lot of expense & legalese & etc.

I don't remember where I read this but it was a story somewhere on the internet. I do believe it was a news story and true. Not sure if this can happen with an RV, what your chances are, etc, etc. I'm just passing on an interesting story I read about vin #'s.
GypsiesAtHeart2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #14

If a thief knew where your rig actually was, and your home address, it would make sense that you weren't at home, and that you were with your rig camping.
Leaves your home empty of people and able to ransack without risk....
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #15

I have posted about phone numbers on this site and others over the years.

I would blank out the plate number of my truck and trailer.

I am unsure why the vin number is an issue but I would post it without worry.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #16

Tin helmets anyone?
Old 06-28-2015, 01:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
If a thief knew where your rig actually was, and your home address, it would make sense that you weren't at home, and that you were with your rig camping.
Leaves your home empty of people and able to ransack without risk....
I don't usually tell anybody we won't be home for a few days. Only those that need to know. And I don't come on here telling the world I will be leaving for a 2 week trip to Timbuktu and will return on this/that day. When I do tell of a trip, it has already happened and I'm home already. Some folks even turn their email to vacation mode telling everybody they are gone and will answer them when they return.

As far as a thief wanting to know where I live by tracking my tag, well, let's just say I'm well protected.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Actually in healthcare a vin number is considered protected information by HIPAA because you are able to use the vin to obtain information about an individual. As others said, at minimum you can obtain a name and address and possibly more. Now you come on here and post you are on a trip and bingo a thief can hit your house. They could also use that info to scam you or someone else. It is a safety issue for yourself so we recommend against doing it. However I have seen many truck forums where individuals freely post their in for help. It is up to you if you feel like exposing that info yourself. Personally, I black out vin and license plate info.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Nah- it's not mods. This was a regular visitor and I've not only seen the warnings here. It's one of those "common knowledge" things; but I've never heard of specifics for what can actually happen.

I'm really just curious.
For automobiles/trucks etc....A person can copy the VIN # and go to a dealer to order a remote or a key...I cover my VIN with a blank business card...J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #20
Retired

Don't know if this would apply for a RV VIN but....

Several years ago I received a letter from the Impound lot saying they have an abandoned 1977 Camaro stored there that the VIN was traced back to me. The storage charges was getting larger every day.

I did own a 1977 Camaro but sold it around 1993 so I no longer had the bill of sale or anything proving I sold the car.

Turned out the car in question had the identical VIN to the Camaro I owned where it was copied to the derelict Camaro.

Why it was traced back to me than to the people who bought it or whom ever they sold it to I couldn't find out.

Ependydad: As for blacking out your VIN I see nothing wrong with being cautious... That's the age we live in today.

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote