Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2016, 11:22 PM   #1

Dash Cam as a Rear Observation System?

Between Dash Cams and Observation Systems (like Furrion), I'm wondering if instead of getting both, if anyone uses a dash cam as a rear observation system. I already plan on getting a dash cam to record what's in front of us, but thought it might be helpful to have one to record what's going on behind us (as in behind what we're towing) and is there a type that will also let us observe/view what's going on at the same time.

And while we're at it, can't someone invent one systems that does it all, lol! TPMS, Rear Observation, Dash Cam Mgmt and GPS all in one! The first paragraph was serious, this paragraph is just me being silly All this technology is enough to make my head spin
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:58 AM   #2

Thinking about maybe using this product:

"EsiCam-Portable-Wireless-Trailer-Creative"

Thoughts anyone?
Old 08-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #3

Smile Bump!

Old 08-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #4

That cam looks great except it's battery powered. Gonna be a hassle to keep recharging it.

I use the Sharx system. Displays on iPhone, iPad or Android device. You have to install a separate wifi router somewhere in the trailer but it works fantastic. You can view it on multiple devices simultaneously. Depending on the size of the SD card you use it records continuously for 6-12 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TN...-FL&ref=plSrch
Old 08-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
That cam looks great except it's battery powered. Gonna be a hassle to keep recharging it.

I use the Sharx system. Displays on iPhone, iPad or Android device. You have to install a separate wifi router somewhere in the trailer but it works fantastic. You can view it on multiple devices simultaneously. Depending on the size of the SD card you use it records continuously for 6-12 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TN...-FL&ref=plSrch
Thank you! This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for - there are so many products out there! I will definitely check out your recommendation Part of the challenge too will be exactly how we want to install/attach it to the trailer. Thanks again!
Old 08-27-2016, 01:07 PM   #6

I did not think that "dash cams" were designed for outside use in open weather?
wzpsjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #7

It's not a recording device, but I've installed a cheap, wireless, Peak antifreeze brand $65, from Menards, back up camera on our Rockwood 2304KS. I have it on all the time during travel, and it is the perfect rear view, providing a panaramic view of what's behind me, and what's coming up. The monitor is suction cupped right in front of my steering wheel for quick reference. And, especially for being so inexpensive, it works magnificently. I did have to buy a 25' extension cable for the camera $12 eBay.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzpsjm View Post
I did not think that "dash cams" were designed for outside use in open weather?
You're right, they're typically not - I'm looking for is something that's a hybrid for the back/rear of the travel trailer - where it records and allows us to view/observe what's going on while we're on the road - both a security-type feature and safety feature. I will have a typical dash cam for inside our tow vehicle to record what's going on in front of us
Old 08-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
It's not a recording device, but I've installed a cheap, wireless, Peak antifreeze brand $65, from Menards, back up camera on our Rockwood 2304KS. I have it on all the time during travel, and it is the perfect rear view, providing a panaramic view of what's behind me, and what's coming up. The monitor is suction cupped right in front of my steering wheel for quick reference. And, especially for being so inexpensive, it works magnificently. I did have to buy a 25' extension cable for the camera $12 eBay.
Thank you! Except for not having a recording feature, that sounds like a nice alternative
Old 08-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #10

I also bought the Peak brand backup camera. Be sure to buy the one that has digital written on the cover and unit. I did not know this and bought the non digital unit to monitor a triple tow trailer. The blue tooth would not work due to interference from the 2015 GMC blue tooth. Contacted their Cust service and they offered to exchange it. No extra cost, talk about great service!!! Hooked it up today without the giver in between. Worked perfectly. Will know if the signal will pass far enough with the fiver in between in a few days. PS. I have it powered with the headlights, so I can return on the running lights during the daytime.
Randy-2198 is offline   Reply With Quote