Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #1

Dash Cam Recomendations

I've read some of the old threads on Dash Cams but technology changes so fast I wonder what folks are using and will recommend today. I had purchased the Geko from Costco, it stopped working and is going back. Also, any thoughts about putting one in the back window of my 5er?
Thanks!
2015 Coachmen Chaparral 336 TSIK

Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Dash cam for the front.....I agree but which brand to buy.

Dash cam for the rear.....reminds me of what Mario Andretti used to say...

"Whatsa behind me.....she's a no matter".

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Dash cam for the front.....I agree but which brand to buy.

Dash cam for the rear.....reminds me of what Mario Andretti used to say...

"Whatsa behind me.....she's a no matter".

Hahaha! That's funny, gotta love Mario!
2015 Coachmen Chaparral 336 TSIK

Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:01 AM   #4

We got one of these. They are amazingly small but good. They are not specifically designed as a dash cam but can be easily set for such (continuously record and overwrite prior sectors until told to stop and save what you need; auto in and off with the ignition controlled power source).

Black Box Mobius Pro Mini Action Camera - 820mAh Battery - 1080P Full HD Mini Sports Action Dash Cam - DVR Video Recorder with WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) Large FOV, Motion Detection & Time Lapse https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N6AWQ5I..._cCf8ybDCT6Y03
Old 04-14-2017, 12:27 AM   #5

This is by far the best on the market and I've had one for 3 years and never had a problem.

https://www.blackvue.com/dr650s-2ch/

You could put one in the 5er if you wanted. Single channel.

You won't be able to watch anything on your media centre on your dash, but only a device connected by wi-fi.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:47 AM   #6

I have a dash cam in my truck with both front and rear cameras. I purchased it to record what's going on around me. As far as putting one in the back of your camper, a dash cam will be good only for recording. I cannot use my dash cam for monitoring the traffic behind me while driving. Dash cams have ultra wide angle lenses which makes everything look very far away. On the monitor, a car that is 10' behind you looks like it's 100' back - way too small to accurately judge distance for changing lanes, etc. This situation is made worse with the very small monitors that come with them. If you want to monitor the traffic behind you, you will most likely need a rearview camera that doesn't have such a wide angle lens and usually comes with a much larger monitor. Larry G.
aufinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:07 AM   #7

I use a dash cam to record the road as I am driving. I do not use it to see what is coming up on me. I want it in case I am involved in an accident.
This is what I use.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LSA2QU2...I30VXM107L7L1Q

This has a 160 degree wide angle lens and can record for about 20 hours before it records over old video with a 64 GB sd card.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash Cam.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	134687  
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #8
WDW

Have a sophisticated one and it's a pita. However my new one is a Garman and I really like that a lot especially for a simplistic ease-of-use. Got it through the factory refurbished store at a huge discount.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #9

I have always used RoadHawk cameras. Last year I finally switched out the original RH-1 (still works) for the HD-2.

RoadHawk HD-2 -

Perhaps a little more expensive than some you can buy but definitely worth the cost IMO.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran RV Owner

Aukey Dash Cam

I bought an "Aukey" from Amazon. I put a 64GB memoery card in it and it should record video for hundreds of hours before it ever overwrites a file.

Here it is at Amazon;

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-1080P-V...aukey+dash+cam
Old 04-14-2017, 09:11 PM   #11

I just bought a dash cam that I saw on the infomercial. Around 60 bucks out the door. Simple setup; works great. But you do have to buy your own SD card. And the battery is only good for about an hour, so you pretty much have to keep it plugged in.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:26 PM   #12

I use a Black Box G1W-X, ordered on Amazon for $50. Or order direct from bboxcam.com with free shipping.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:41 AM   #13

I got the HD Wheel Witness with GPS tracking. One awesome unit and could not be happier with it. The video is super clear. Even at night you are able to read the license plates around you. Very wide angle and HD. The GPS module just adds to it. It pinpoints you on a map showing your speed and all kinda of details about your driving. Many have even used this feature to eliminate bogus tickets as it will show your precious location and your speed at that location. Has a lane changing feature that warns you if you start to drift. Just loads of features and if you watch Newegg and Amazon. The price is reasonable for all you get.
PupScrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
For an RV dashcam I bought a Cobra 1080p Collision Detection CDR840 Drive HD Dash Camera with GPS from Costco. What I like:
  • Good video quality
  • GPS
  • Crash detection - marks files when the RV stops suddenly
  • Loop recording - when it runs out of space it record over old video (except for crash detection)
  • Power on record - plug it into the cigarette lighter and it records from key on to key off
  • Motion detect record - only records when the image is changing
What I don't like:
  • Requires mid-high tech understanding to use
  • software supplied with it is poor
  • instructions are poor
  • usability is poor
So for $125 it's a good cheap Dash Cam - works with 128gb card (16+ hours of video). If you are good with tech, it's a good deal.

I was on the fence about buying a dashcam and Costco has them on sale. I passed and drove home in my car. On the way home I had a person make a right turn in front of me from the left lane, so I had to turn right or hit them. A few blocks later someone in the left lane jumped in front of me. In both cases if I were in my motorhome I would have hit them (not the stopping or turning capabilities of a Malibu). I turned around and drove back to Costco and bought the Dashcam. I plugged it in and drove home, on the plus side I did not need it.

Example video: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cdrdwd/27885864483

I own a Mobius camera for cycling and love it, but it does not have GPS or crash detection. For cycling it's great, 2 hour battery life, the size of a matchbox and good 1080p video with lots of options.

I own it for the same reasons I own a dashcam, A SMALL PERCENT OF DRIVERS ARE MOST OF THE PROBLEM (and many of them are holding a cell phone). On a bike I do not fear angry drivers, I fear the cold calculating cellphone users who don't care about anyone else's life.
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:25 AM   #15
DW's 401(k) Plan

Kind of an answer to the OP.... I just ordered (yesterday) a wireless monitor and camera setup off eBay to do exactly what you are thinking. I already have one camera that shows from my rear bumper to the front of my toad.... Now I want to see past the toad and the surrounding area. The monitor for this new rig has a micro SD slot, to record anything which may happen.
Once I get things mounted, I will report back.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #16
Failure is my business

I've been running a Lukas LK-7950 for a year or so. It is a front and rear recording unit that also has potential to integrate OBD2 data. Has GPS speed tracking and can also be set to record when it senses motion while parked. Also has G-sensor so it can be set to record impacts on a separate sd card while driving or parked. It's a bit tweaky and some of the firmware upgrades have been interesting as it started only speaking Korean after the last one, but after I conquered the app and fixed the language it's been great. It's not wireless so it wouldn't work for towing, but in my car and truck it's been great.
Current vehicle list: 17 RAM 3500 4x4 Cummins Aisin 4.10, 16 Flagstaff 832IKBS, 14 RAM 1500 4x4 Hemi 3.92 Bilstein 5100's Derale oil cooler, 97 F150 4x4 5.4L 278,000 miles, 80 Firebird Esprit Aussie Burnout Car https://youtu.be/v06VjII7HmE, 78 Harley Davidson FX 79,000 miles dad bought new, 71 El Camino ZZ3 TH400 12-Bolt, 37 Ford 3 window 502 Chevy dad built
Days Camped: 2016: 43, 2017: 83, 2018: 44, 2019: 78
2Evil4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #17

Well, came upon this one while searching for recommendations - also looking for one now.

Had been thinking about it for putting in our Class C as a "Just in case" but after the phone call from the brother in law think there is no way I'm traveling without one now...

They are hauling their TT home to Ohio from FL and, while in traffic - middle lane - semi passed on the right - cab just got past and decided to move over into them. Hit their awning post, front door, tow mirror. Luckily both ok but trucker never even slowed down. License plate on trailer too dirty to read and could only catch a number off the trailer.

Dash cam most likely would have caught a whole lot more had they had one.

Filed police report after calling and meeting them at exit they were directed to.

So, along with the OP I'm researching different models now as well....

Appreciate the replies and based on above probably looking for one that has the GPS, etc. included.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
Well, came upon this one while searching for recommendations - also looking for one now.
Had been thinking about it for putting in our Class C as a "Just in case" but after the phone call from the brother in law think there is no way I'm traveling without one now...
They are hauling their TT home to Ohio from FL and, while in traffic - middle lane - semi passed on the right - cab just got past and decided to move over into them. Hit their awning post, front door, tow mirror. Luckily both ok but trucker never even slowed down. License plate on trailer too dirty to read and could only catch a number off the trailer.
Dash cam most likely would have caught a whole lot more had they had one.
Filed police report after calling and meeting them at exit they were directed to.
So, along with the OP I'm researching different models now as well....
Appreciate the replies and based on above probably looking for one that has the GPS, etc. included.
Fascinating. We had a big rig change lane on us in Baton Rouge,La. He never looked over, and had I not been able to change lanes quickly, he would have hit me on the passenger side. Also had a young lady roll backwards into the front of my truck at a redlight in north Louisiana. She volunteered that she did not have insurance, and then hauled butt. I wrote down her vehicle license number. Also had 2 witnesses. Ended up filing with my own insurance company...sheeesh. So, I bought a Whistler dash cam. Its okay, but it must be turned on every time I start the truck. Not a big deal, except I forget on occasion to start it, and one day, I'll need it just when I forget...lol
Old 04-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Fascinating. We had a big rig change lane on us in Baton Rouge,La. He never looked over, and had I not been able to change lanes quickly, he would have hit me on the passenger side. Also had a young lady roll backwards into the front of my truck at a redlight in north Louisiana. She volunteered that she did not have insurance, and then hauled butt. I wrote down her vehicle license number. Also had 2 witnesses. Ended up filing with my own insurance company...sheeesh. So, I bought a Whistler dash cam. Its okay, but it must be turned on every time I start the truck. Not a big deal, except I forget on occasion to start it, and one day, I'll need it just when I forget...lol
Yep, sister in law was driving and the lane to the left of them had traffic as well so not too many options but move over a bit and hope for the best...
Old 04-18-2017, 10:27 PM   #20

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
The best Dash Cam review site I have found...
https://dashcamtalk.com/

And some good info here too...
The Best Dash Cam | The Wirecutter
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote