Old 02-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #21
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
I noticed that several dash cams have built in gps. I get that the gps provides location data, but how does that benefit ?
Sales gimmick. Why does one pay extra for GPS when all you have to do is look at the video to see where you were when.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:00 PM   #22
Who Dares, Wins

The GPS will also tell how fast YOU are going... SO when you wreck and were doing a 120 it can hurt you.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #23
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
The GPS will also tell how fast YOU are going... SO when you wreck and were doing a 120 it can hurt you.
I think the prudent thing to do if one is in the wrong is not show any dash cam data. It's your property and you wouldn't have to give it up without legal proceedings against you. By that time....well, SD cards don't always record.

On the other hand, video evidence will show the speed by just measuring the time between two reference points.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:12 PM   #24

The reason I wanted, and got, GPS integrated into my dashcam was this.

I was driving on I-4 eastbound between Tampa and Orlando at night. There was minimal traffic and I was in the middle of three lanes. We got hungry and decided to stop at the next exit to grab something.

I checked my rear view mirror and saw headlights a LONG way back. I turned on the turn-signal (my wife is a stickler for using them and makes sure I do) and started to slide over.

Holly mackeral 0000 a car flew by me on the right side, nearly taking the shoulder. It was literally like I was standing still. I was doing 70 at the time. I had to swerve to avoid a crash.

As the car clears me I see it's a squad car. He blips his emergency lights then shuts them down again. Yup this guy was flying down the freeway with no emergency lights or siren and nearly rammed me as I changed lanes.

Guess who got in trouble. ME I got a ticket for innappropriate lane change or some such language.

Had I had video evidence along with mph tracking, I might have had a chance to fight the ticket. As it was, his supervisor gave me a bum's rush when I tried to tell him what happened, and I got to pay a $160.00 ticket.

As a civilian, you need every help you can get. Not to mention the overall driving challenges here in Florida (read crazy drivers).

I don't worry if my gps records me doing a couple of mph over the speed limit. After all, I drive by my speedometer not by gps speed.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:34 PM   #25
Who Dares, Wins

There are some BAD driver's down in FL... I think the rejects from NJ and NY got sent down there!

Emm-dee I get you there. As far as any legal speak I would also surmise that the GPS makes sure the other side cannot say the spot in question could be another spot instead. In a DUI case I was once handed a photo of a road to look at. The defense attorney wanted me to look at this photo and explain the "scene of the crime to them." Even though I knew where it was I cannot assume that everyone else will as well.. The GPS gives the proof of where it was the timeline shows when it was so that it cannot be claimed that anything was altered or changed by a program. It retains a chain of evidence in what is occurring.

As for timing two points, it is used all the time to pace cars with things like VASCAR.. But in a court hearing the defense will most likely require an expert to determine the speed from two timed points in a video, not from you, and this is assuming the cameras doe not move or is not shook loose due to an impact. GPS tells the speed, no questions asked (within a few MPH)

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 02-03-2016, 12:28 AM   #26

I have two 4-Sight [that might be 4Site] units. One in the wife's car and the other in my PUT. These units aren't cheap, about $185 plus $45 for the optional GPS ant, but you get what you pay for. They have two cams that rotate fore and aft and anywhere in between. I have one forward and one out the back window and they are crystal clear pictures. They come with a 32gb card that loops when full. They also have audio,
With the optional GPS antenna, it records speed, lat/long, a Google map pix of your location and much more than I can remember right now.
If you get rear ended or the car in front of you backs into you, it's all on record as is anyone that cuts in front up close and slams on brakes.
No question as to whether you ran a red light or not. It's right there in living color. Also has a shock sensor that locks in the video if you are in a wreck.
It may be overkill, but I carry an extra micro sd card so I can swap them out in case I have to turn it over to a cop, I'll have the real one. Both our units are hard wired to the ignition and mounted behind the rear view mirror. The rear facing cam peeks around the end of the mirror, so it's not in the way.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:28 AM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

As far as using a dash cam gps against someone for speed involved in an accident, the cars computer will tell that along with whether you were accelerating or braking and other data as well. This happened here last week, when a young girl hit a school bus head on at 101mph, accelerating, and not wearing a seatbelt. Everyone on bus was ok, she did not survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-03-2016, 05:05 AM   #28
Who Dares, Wins

Yes, those black boxes have been recording all sorts of data for many years. It is amazing, but not surprising, how much info they save considering everything is computer controlled anymore.

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 02-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #29

That's for sure doc, and probably in ways us minions don't even comprehend. I'm still going to buy one for my truck, and possibly another for the wifes car. I want to play with one for a while though. I just believe that the dash cam might save someone a ton of grief if you became a victim of some stupid fraud, or insurance crash scam, and the rare "bad cop" situation since they also record audio.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #30
Who Dares, Wins

I agree, I'd still do a dash cam.. We will never have access to the black box so the dash cam becomes our black box.

As far as recording audio just make sure your state allows it. It is typically ok every where (that I know of) to record the police but other maybe not.. It all depends on the expectation of privacy and whether there is single person consent (you know its there so it ok or duel consent (Both of you know it on).

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8