Old 02-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #31

Dash Cam

After several events over the years, I have come to the conclusion everyone should have a Dash Cam. One minimum....
I just need to figure out how to mount on motorcycle to minimize vibration.
$50 Walmart special works fine..... just let it charge overnight before making adjustments for options.
Have Fun!!!!

Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Long story long, I had an uninsured gal back into my new truck recently. When I got out to look at the dent in my bumper, she told me she had no insurance. When I told her to wait, and I would call the police, she took off like a scared rabbit. I did get the tag number and provided that info to the police. I was fortunate that there was a construction site just across from the incident, and two fellows came over and gave a statement to the cop about what happened. The policeman was a nice fellow, and told me that they would be contacting her about the hit and run because that was against the law.
He also told me that there were teams of people where the car in front would back into someone in a nice vehicle, and there would be someone else behind that would get out and testify that the driver in the nice vehicle had hit the one in front. Then the front car would claim injury and settle with the insurance co for many thousands $. It's a scam, and the officer said he had worked accidents and recognized the front vehicle from a previous wreck.
Anyway, if you are caught in this, you wind up with a wreck on your record and higher insurance rates even though you are innocent.
As a result of this incident, I am looking at dash cams so I will have a video record. Does anyone else use a dash cam and which one do you use?
We have been running with a Dash Cam ever since Herk told us a similar story at Goshen '13 -- In fact, I had it shipped to the Fairground (Love Amazon Prime )

As for the visibility issue, ours mounts above the rearview mirror, so no problem there.

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I decided to get a dash cam, not so much for security or as a fail safe, but rather to document our travels. I'll switch out a couple cards as they fill and transfer to laptop or backup drive. The model I got also has wifi and an app, so may be able to download directly to a tablet or drive. May take the highlights and some of the more scenic drives and compose a video every year.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #34
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpence1 View Post
After several events over the years, I have come to the conclusion everyone should have a Dash Cam. One minimum....
I just need to figure out how to mount on motorcycle to minimize vibration.
$50 Walmart special works fine..... just let it charge overnight before making adjustments for options.
Have Fun!!!!
I have a G1W mounted on my Harley using a standard handlebar mount by RamMount. It works great (wired to the ignition side of the Harley electrics) except for distortion you'll get from reflections coming off the plexiglass (or whatever material it is) windshield. I get the same "distortion" result with both the iPhone and GoPro, but if I needed the video for "evidence" I'm satisfied it will be adequate.

Here's a sample from the G1W where you can see how clear it is viewing through the read window of the truck followed by the motorcycle mounted view.

http://vid1080.photobucket.com/album...psl7mfegjy.mp4

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #35
Christ follower

I personally use the Smart Witness Camera's in all my personal cars and my business cars. They are a high end system that has awesome customer service.
"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." Ephesians 4:13
7.3Excursion4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #36
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

I use a Vivitar dash cam which can also be run on battery or power cord. Mounted under review mirror. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:10 PM   #37

Thanks for the video looks good emm-dee
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #38

Well, I ordered the Whistler D17VR yesterday. Should be in next week. Had lots of choices, but many of the brands, I had never heard of. Doesn't make them bad, just means I didn't know anything about the company. I like the specs of the D17 just a little better than others in this price range, and it had received good reviews.
FWIW, the prices of many of these has dropped just in the last two weeks. When I first checked Amazon, the D17 was $155. By the time I ordered, it was down to $110. I noticed the same for other dash cams. Now that's a huge drop. I'm assuming that as it gets past the holiday driving season, possible overstocks are being priced down to move the product, but I'm not sure of that. Anyway, I'll be checking it out close. If it doesn't perform well, I'll sure post that here also.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #39
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Mine was originally $99 got it for $25 Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I decided to get a dash cam, not so much for security or as a fail safe, but rather to document our travels. I'll switch out a couple cards as they fill and transfer to laptop or backup drive. The model I got also has wifi and an app, so may be able to download directly to a tablet or drive. May take the highlights and some of the more scenic drives and compose a video every year.
Tim,

Which one did you get? I am going to need another for our rig and that sounds ideal!

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote