Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by l001952119 View Post
Bean: Is the profanity really necessary? Please do not park beside me in a RV park!
They already picked the next Pope. You're out of the running....RELAX!
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #22

New Camper

I just went thru this with a few dealers in my area. DW wanted a new 5th this year with the separate bathroom. We had a 2005 Puma 290rks and allthough in good shape we used it alot in the 8 years of ownership. It saw campgrounds more then it saw the driveway. We attempted to negoiate with a couple of local dealers on a rockwood 8280ws but they would not move either way with the trade or the new camper. We had better results in attempting to buy a Cougar High Country but since they are a higher priced camper the numbers did not work for me in the end. When we attended the local RV Show we found the Crusader 260rld on "show sale" talked with the sales person, was open and honest concerning the trade and ended up inking a deal right there at the opening night of the show. We all walked away happy. Be polite, realistic, non-emotional, and be fllexible during the negoiations. My wife was "all in" the minute she saw the camper the sales person walked me around the camper went thru and asked why i was hesitant Price? floorplan? etc. We bounced it around and made it work.

My only suggestion is never buy the model off the rv show floor. The dealer has been fantastic, but has had to replace 1 screen, 1 chair, 2 peices of molding, 1 slam hatch lock, and a few other small things. But they have done it all with a smile and very promptly. They even let us camp for free right at their rv dealership and installed things for us labor free. . Sometimes the negoiated price isn;'t everything.

Just my thoughts on my own purchase in january...

Golf
Golflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
RV Wholesalers deliver is only $807. So not big deal.

I just would like to support a local dealer is possible. But $19,500 vs $29,000 is not even in the ball park.

Bean
You haven't done any negotiation with the dealer so you have no idea what their price is yet.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #24
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnD View Post
As also mentioned ... make sure you establish an out the door price. A lot of dealers add on for PDI, prep and delivery to name a few. Any reputable dealer will not charge these add-ons. In my case we had 5er price + Tax + Lic...nothing else. caveat is that shipping was included in the price and some dealers kept that as separate.
My dealings have all been based on an "out the door price". To be honest, I don't care if they put 99% of the amount in fees, surcharges and add-ons as long as my "out the door price" stays fixed. Heck, I saw that my dealer had an "online order fee" of $5 apparently because I found their website and called them?! BUT, I don't care as the price they quoted is what I had my bank draw a check for is what I paid and not a penny more.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #25
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
My dealings have all been based on an "out the door price". To be honest, I don't care if they put 99% of the amount in fees, surcharges and add-ons as long as my "out the door price" stays fixed. Heck, I saw that my dealer had an "online order fee" of $5 apparently because I found their website and called them?! BUT, I don't care as the price they quoted is what I had my bank draw a check for is what I paid and not a penny more.

True that!

Yes the dealer can write it up anyway they want as long as the out the door price is what I agreed to. Problem is most folks don't negotiate this way. They reach a price on the trailer and then get surprised when they go to take delivery.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #26

Bean , my 2cents of opinion that worked for me when I bought my Georgetown A last year. You have to be realistic on your trade in value. If you use NADA or whatever, work the low numbers as true worth. Get that price settled right away with the dealer. Again be reasonable in your expectations on the used rig. Once that is set, make sure the MSRP is the true from the manufacturer price, not the dealers worked up price sheet. Next take the MSRP subtract the shipping to the dealer and then multiply that number by 40%. Example, 29,999 less say 800 shipping, 29199x.40=11679. That is the dealer estimate profit on the rig. Subtract, 29199 - 11679 =17520. Add shipping back on 800 , now at 18320. Now, how much profit do you want the dealer to make? Be reasonable, 1500-2000K works for me, plus they will make some $$ off of your trade, again be reasonable on that price. So 20320 seems like a nice round purchase price.
Or, just go to RVW. Man the way the threat customers, if I was in the towable market that might be the only place I'd look! Good luck, keep us posted on your hopefully good fortunes.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #27

Just use the word (WEE WEE) next time......ease up !
Geaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
RV Wholesalers deliver is only $807. So not big deal.

I just would like to support a local dealer is possible. But $19,500 vs $29,000 is not even in the ball park.

Bean
Did you get a trade quote from RVW?? Yeah, didn't think so...they don't want your trade.

You got an MSRP price quote and more for your trade than you think its worth...what seems to be the problem?? You will always make more money to sell your trailer on your own...its called RETAIL!!

Are the options the same on the trailers? Puma's start as a baseline and then you add the options. You want a wall border, option. You want A/C. option. Water heater bypass, option......etc.

I actually know the whole deal you are working on, as I happened to be at the email computers when the salesman you were working with was emailing you.

We always start at MSRP, because you, Joe Public, want to see a crazy inflated trade value. You never believe that wholesale is wgere a dealer needs to trade at, you want to burn the candle from both ends...we can easily give you a cut throat price on the new trailer, but when you actually hear what trade value is, no one likes it.

It doesn't matter how we get there, as long as the difference money is agreeable to both parties....
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #29
Flagstaff 625D Popup

2008Wildcat, okay your point is taken, but I can't seem to see how I could buy the trailer from RVW WITHOUT a trade for the same price I was quoted WITH a trade ???

I'm just looking for honesty. Give me a decent price on the trailer and if my trade is "really" only worth $6,000 to the dealer, then tell me that. And give the choice to sell it myself if I think it's worth more than that.

I don't expect a local dealer to match RVW's price. But I'd think they should be within a couple thousand dollars though.

The trailer on RVW looked pretty close. I couldn't see any real differences. They list the retail as $29,364 which is pretty close too. It is RVW stock # 042909.

Bean
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:35 AM   #30
Commercial Member

Here is the problem, as salesmen, we do not have access to cost of units, new or used.

We work off MSRP, because many people are upside down on their trades, and if we have to finance again, banks want to see some equity in the trade value, not less than what they owe. Also, as an owner, if you owe $12,000 and are told it is really worth $6000, does it make you happy? Of course not.

Everyone in the industry knows how the wholesalers work, and we can come close, but we provide so much more than they do. Their whole premise is that you will never be back to their dealership after you take your trailer home, or get it delivered. If you buy from them, and get it delivered to your home, who is going to do warranty work for you.....your local dealer.

Obviously, if you've been on NADA, you already know what your trade is worth on a RETAIL value, which is were we need to be when we resell it, trade will be under that buy a good amount. A used pop up is worth no where close to a new one on selling price, as you would just go buy a new one!

We need to put it through the Shop, fix any issues, inspect it for DMV inspection, refill propane, etc. And still come in under retail so we can make money. We run a brick and mortar dealership, with over 17 acres of RV's, 20 Service Techs, body shop, etc. We've been in business for over 57 years, so we must do something right......

OK, all that said, did you make an offer on the new trailer? We will gladly try to get to your number, but be prepared to get a cash value on the trade. If your Flagstaff is a 2012, I would think $6000 is a strong trade number.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #31

Since an RV is a luxury item much like a boat or dirt bike you have the power. I would tell them exactly what I was willing to pay and call it a day. I bet you there is a dealership out there that has what you want and really needs a sale right now. I dont buy into the spin the gov is putting out about the economy getting better, alot of people are still hurting out there and I would think a dealership that sells luxury items to people who are using thier disposable income is still pretty flighty about the rug on the economy beign pulled out from under thier feet.

I got a price from RVW and then proceeded to call every Rockwood / Flagstaff dealer within the 500 mile radius that they were away from me. After I called several dealerships and told them what I was willing to pay (the quoted RVW price) I figured out that none of them wanted to sell a camper.

I went with RVW and they got my local dealer into thier warranty network so that all worked out for me even better, I saved a boat load of money and if I need work done I can take my TT down the road 20 mins and get it fixed. That dealer dosn't even sell Rockwoods but RVW was able to get them into there program just at my request.

You have the power not them, your dealer needs you not the other way around. I think people see what they want then they get alittle to giddy about buying said RV. That is fine just dont let them see that side of you. It's purley a buisness deal nothing more.

2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2004 F-150 4.6 Liter 4x2 Factory Tow Package
2012 - 21 Nights Camped
2013 - 21 Nights Camped
wolfpack21643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #32

OP, remember, the art of negotiation is to know when you have the opposite party's back against the wall and he/they can go no further. The last two cars I bought, the dealer turned down my offer to them. These were pie in the sky offers that I sorta knew would be denied. But, both times I had counter offers ready, showing a willingness to be reasonable, based on as much information I could gather on the their costs and value of my trade. Both times my counter offer was accepted. On my Georgetown, the dealer and I were 18K apart. I came up 2k they came down 16K and we had a deal. Remember, the salesman if not a friend! That is why dealers, campground memberships, time shares etc. always come in at the time to go for the kill disguised as "the finance person". They don't care jack squat about you, your family or your dog. YOU have to have that same toughness. Yep its hard, especially if you are a generally easy going guy. Good Luck Again.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote