Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #41

I wonder if he made it without getting pulled over by the police? I'm sure if he would have looked through his manuals he would have discovered the way to manually retract the slideouts.

Great pic Youroo.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #42
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Good Luck with that! This owner is on their way back to the (Dealer) for Slide repair! Youroo!!
Probably going to the dealer to have him show him how to manually retract the slides? Owner: I've got this funny looking crank handle, how does it work?
Dealer: Will call the factory, can you leave the trailer for 3-4 weeks?

Old 04-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
We bought our trailer quite a distance from our home. Since we have a Forest River dealer within a few miles I called them to schedule some warranty work.
They told me they WILL NOT do any warranty work on trailers not purchased from them.
Have sent an email to Forest River about this and will do a follow up phone call also.
Have others ran into this?

If you are talking about the Dealer at Linn Creek, that is where I bought my unit new. Taken my unit back 5 times for 'warrenty' work.... 3 times alone for back slide motor problems that they tried to fix (they told me that they 'finally' put a new motor on it). They had it for two weeks before they could get to it. They did not make the units, but I question on how well they fix the units that are under 'warranty'..... Even buying it at a Dealer and it is under 'warranty, does not push you to the front of the line to be 'fixed'.... Cash talks better to Dealers than Factory kick backs.....

If you are considering taking your FR unit to Camping World in Columbia (I am a Life Member of Good Sams), they may not get to your 'warranty' work in a timely manner.... I asked and was always told 'busy'.... I don't like the 'Corporate' tone and everything costs so much more than else where.

I called 'US Rent's It' in Columbia (there is one also in Jeff City and both sell FR), took it in the next morning and was called three hours later to come and pick it up, it was done (they peeled a wall back and repaired a water leak that was in the wall cavity... a Factory Screw UP). I told them that is was under 'warranty' but I did not want to hassle with it (SpringBreak was 4 days away) and just fix it and I would pay the rate. The cost was cheaper for me to pay out of pocket than it would be to take off work and fuel costs to take it to 'my dealer'....'US Rents It' know their stuff and have always been very neighborly to me at a fair price on all the work that they have done for the last 15 years.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Probably going to the dealer to have him show him how to manually retract the slides? Owner: I've got this funny looking crank handle, how does it work?
Dealer: Will call the factory, can you leave the trailer for 3-4 weeks?

Not funny.... I was told that there was not a 'manual' way to retract my slides..... out in the boonies. With slides out, the motor(s) on my unit must be loosened and pulled out to let the slide move freely (the motors are hard to get to and 6 feet in the air, I don't carry the tools or a ladder to do this). And freely it does move down the hi-way, as it need to be 'braced' with a board, cut to the correct size. With the motors lifted up out of the gears, then it can be manually pushed in by 3 or 4 guys (young men), but not by they old man.... I was told that if ALL Power was removed from the motors that the brake would release on the motors and the slides could be pushed in or out.... again, by several strong men.... I elected to drive the dang thing back to the Dealer with the slide sticking out..... The Deal told me (Twice ) that the wires were messed up it the gears and I (some other strong guys) would not have been able to push it in or out anyway...... GGrrrrrrrr

If it 'breaks' again... I will not be taking it back to the Dealer.... I will take it someone I trust and pay them to fix it right.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #45
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
...the motors are hard to get to and 6 feet in the air...
Don't quite understand how they can be 6' in the air when the mechanism in in the bottom of the trailer unless there is a new design. There are manual screw mechanisms on most all of the mechanical designs at ground level.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #46

Quote:
Don't quite understand how they can be 6' in the air when the mechanism in in the bottom of the trailer unless there is a new design. There are manual screw mechanisms on most all of the mechanical designs at ground level.
my motors are at the top of my master slide and about 10 feet in the air

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
By doing just what I am doing now with this post and contacting dealership owner.
If you don't make a stand sometimes, nothing ever changes.
complaining here will get a admin to tell you enough is enough... dealers care nothing about purchasers, pay over 40k and all you get is the shaft and a complete mess to cleanup and fix

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #47
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
my motors are at the top of my master slide and about 10 feet in the air...
My main slide is in the bottom of the slide and the wardrobe slide is at the top of the wardrobe inside about 5' up. I have just not seen motors 6'-10' high when all the mechanisms seem to be at the frame level or at the bottom of the slides with the exception of the cable slides like our wardrobe slide. Can you show some pictures?
Old 04-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #48

not to get off topic but we have the schwintek in wall slide system, my motors are about 6 inches from the top of the slide (master) from ground level they are about 10 feet up give or take a few inches, and I carry a 6ft ladder just in case I need to get at them, with the slide out is the only way to access them

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 04-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #49

He has the (Worm Run) system,motors in side near the Top.PITA type! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #50
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Looks to me like a POS design wise. The least they could do is put the motor at the bottom and accessible from inside with a manual crank somewhere.

Maybe a hook on the inside you could put a ratchet strap on and pull it in?

Thanks, but no thanks.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #51

Quote:

You dang right it is a pain the A..... this is one of the main reasons that it 'seems' that I am a FR hater...... I hate this set up . When it does not work right you are screwed bad. The video makes it seem that it is easy to work on.... maybe in a shop with all of the tools, but it is not when you are in a campground out in the boonies and you are stuck with it open.

When I pick my camper up last Saturday for 3rd slide out motor problem, the Tech asked me if I knew how to 'reset' the motor board it the slides were acting up? I said yes, I down load a manual from Forest River Forums (thank-you very much) and can read the directions. I asked him if 'resetting' the board would have fixed the problem? he said "NO, the motor was messed up to badly" (one that they said that they had fixed twice before). Me was not very happy about getting advice that was meaningless.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #52

when I did my insp hrs before we signed the paperwork, the 1 motor failed, then I heard they all ready replaced the controller a few days earlier, they (dealer) said they got higher amp motors from lippert and I have not had a problem since. I can get to one easy enough with the slide in but not the other, and when the slide is out it is just too high without a ladder and the bottom of the slide is at 6ft so we would have to push really hard with our hands above our heads. it seems even the 200k class c are getting this system because my boss just pulled up friday with a new Ghost super c and it has it..

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 04-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #53
Mod free 5er

Quote:
when I did my insp hrs before we signed the paperwork, the 1 motor failed, then I heard they all ready replaced the controller a few days earlier, they (dealer) said they got higher amp motors from lippert and I have not had a problem since. I can get to one easy enough with the slide in but not the other, and when the slide is out it is just too high without a ladder and the bottom of the slide is at 6ft so we would have to push really hard with our hands above our heads. it seems even the 200k class c are getting this system because my boss just pulled up friday with a new Ghost super c and it has it..
I would fashion a hook on the bottom inside and another on something about 6' away (small D hook on the floor?) so I could ratchet strap it in.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #54

Quote:
I would fashion a hook on the bottom inside and another on something about 6' away (small D hook on the floor?) so I could ratchet strap it in.
I can not get to the master bedroom when the slide is in to ratchet it in, hallway is in the way, it would have to be pushed in ... this slide is 11ft long and has the wardrobe and queen bed in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	50699  

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 04-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #55

Quote:

The locking screw that holds the motor in is on the 'outside' of the unit. The motor is seen by pulling back the rubber seals from the inside (and outside) but it is impossible to get the motor out unless the screw on the outside (slide must be out a little) is removed. Makes a sailor proud with all of the choice words that I have used at this motor/slide system....

And...And.... the rails must be perfectly clean or the slide will jump and buck and sometimes not even move if a spec of dirt gets in the gears/rail.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #56
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I can not get to the master bedroom when the slide is in to ratchet it in, hallway is in the way, it would have to be pushed in ... this slide is 11ft long and has the wardrobe and queen bed in it.
And the slide completely closes the hallway off when it is in?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #57

Back on topic here...

Let's look at this issue from the RV dealer viewpoint (not that I really want to defend them). If they do warranty work, then they are not collecting payment for the parts and labor from the customer. Instead they have to be reimbursed by the manufacturer. This probably takes time and may even require an audit by the mfr to see if the warrantied work was necessary. Bottom line is that the repairing dealer is out labor dollars and lost parts inventory while waiting for reimbursement. I know this is applicable to the dealer who also sold the unit, but it does explain a little why other dealers may not be willing to take on the repair.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #58

Most will not touch the unit until they get the parts. What I would really like is if the Mfg. Would sell me the parts I need to repair the rv myself even after the warranty period.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #59
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Back on topic here...

Let's look at this issue from the RV dealer viewpoint (not that I really want to defend them). If they do warranty work, then they are not collecting payment for the parts and labor from the customer. Instead they have to be reimbursed by the manufacturer. This probably takes time and may even require an audit by the mfr to see if the warrantied work was necessary. Bottom line is that the repairing dealer is out labor dollars and lost parts inventory while waiting for reimbursement. I know this is applicable to the dealer who also sold the unit, but it does explain a little why other dealers may not be willing to take on the repair.
Doubtful on lost parts inventory as they always use the excuse that they have to order the parts. The main reason is probably they can't pad the labor charge.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #60

Quote:
And the slide completely closes the hallway off when it is in?
yep

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide

Tags
dealer, warranty