Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #21

Dealer refusal to do warranty work

So I guess we'll have to buy from a dealer close to us and pay what he wants so he will service it.
Then you're locked in to him for as long as you have the rv because he is the only one who can get parts from Forrest River.
And you will pay him whatever he wants as his service rate because you need the rv fixed.
And he'll fix it when he's good and ready!
And hope the person who fixes it knows what he's doing.

I just don't like to be in that position.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #22

I own an appliance store, small independent that fights for business against Menards and Lowes everyday. I have an in-house service department and I can assure you that we make no money on warranty work.

I'll be damned if I'm gonna "prop up" Menards and Lowes by taking care of their customers while they are doing everything they can to put me out of business.

This is exactly why when I buy things I consider service not just price.....
Mmwtdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #23

Mark good for you to make a stand. I think that is a good start. The part I disagree with is that FR is somehow w responsible to control a independent dealer. They really don't have to do anything they don't want to. If I were in that business I can't imagine turning down any business because I would want your service work and like you said a shot at your upgrade business as well. I think your beef is legit but only with the dealer.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

I think a majority of FR owners are satisfied more or less with their dealers and they are not in the situation you are with being a long drive from their dealers. I have a good dealer, but after a recent problem with his tech over the phone while I was in FL, I will not return. I would go to his other dealership about 120 miles away rather than 20 minutes from my house tho'.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #25

And if the other dealership refused to service your rv then what.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #26

We live just south of Wichita,Ks and bought our Chappy in Tulsa,Ok.Saved several thousand $$$$$.I stopped out at the local dealer and he laughed when I asked if he wanted myy work.Wont darken his door again.I'll drive to Tulsa,only a 2 1/2 hr drive to a great dealer.Hunter RV.When we bought it we talked to the dealer and I'll fix the small stuff with his supplied parts or he will reinburse me for the parts covered.I can order online from his parts store and will.We have several other dealers local,but their prices are terrible.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #27

Personally....I refused to do business with the FR dealer here in town because they were such dirtbags

If you did not use your local dealer because of their rep, do you *really* want them to service your unit? I don't.

Yeah it's a 150 mile trip to my "new, reputable" dealer...but you know what? They are so good that So far after 5 months, I have no problems. Just say'n...
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #28

On Long Island there were a lot of RV Dealers. Now I think there are only 3 left. They all,went out of business because the people got sick and tired of being robbed and insulted. Every one I know now buys off Island. One dealer charges full list price for supplies where I can get it a lot less online. He made his decision and I made mine.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #29

I had the same issue. The "local dealer" refused to do warranty work because I didn't purchase there. I contacted FR and explained to them that this local Rockwood dealer carried 10 campers total and ZERO new Rockwoods on his lot. He is an RV rental shop that claims to be a dealer. So I'm supposed to buy from him without ever looking at the unit I want to buy? What a joke.
Thankfully, I have an RV service center about 5 miles from my house. They do not sell... Only service. They contacted FR and agreed to do the warranty work. It's been a good relationship so far. I had them do my winterizing/de-winterizing... Do the inspection and an inspection of seals... And I just picked it up today with 4 new tires. Win-win.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwedell View Post
And if the other dealership refused to service your rv then what.
If I can get the parts, I will repair it myself if at all possible. If not, I would make plans to go to the Goshen rally and have FR fix it.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 PM   #31

X2
Old 04-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #32
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmwtdh View Post
I own an appliance store, small independent that fights for business against Menards and Lowes everyday. I have an in-house service department and I can assure you that we make no money on warranty work.

I'll be damned if I'm gonna "prop up" Menards and Lowes by taking care of their customers while they are doing everything they can to put me out of business.

Slightly OT,but not by much regarding the small independent business owner versus the Big Box stores.

I used to patronize an Ace Hardware store and got to know Jerry,the owner. You walk in a buy single bolt,nut or whatever and got good personal service.

One day recently I went there and the place was closed. So I go to my local Lowes and see Jerry working in the hardware section. He said he just couldn't compete with Lowes and HD any longer.

He did say one upside was being able to walk out after his shift was done and not worry about anything.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #33
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmwtdh View Post

You don't really believe that Menards and Lowes singled you out and said, "Let's drive Mmwtdh out of business." do you? Looks like personal contact and service is your strong point that they can't compete against you and even if you don't make money on warranty work, it must help to keep the doors open. JMO.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:44 AM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
Not trying to be confrontational, but until we owners stand up to Forest River and FORCE them to FORCE their dealers to honor their warranty, the situation will not change.
then you might as well include Thor, KZ, Keystone, Heartland, Jayco, and on and on, because it's an industry-wide issue, not just FR.

so you'll have to get nearly everyone that owns a RV, no matter what brand or manufacturer to unite, because they all do it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:50 AM   #35

This is right from the Forest River website.

"Forest River, Inc. dealers are independently owned and operated businesses so priority service and scheduling is at their discretion and is often provided to customers that purchased their unit at that dealership."

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #36
Incheon, S. Korea

I think a greater priority would be to get RV manufacturers to improve their product so there are fewer warranty issues. IMO, there shouldn't be a lot of warranty issues to begin with, but then again, I was raised to expect what I pay for.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #37

Until the RV industry changes the way they do business we all really have two choices:
  1. suck it up and drive the distance to the selling dealer dealer;or
  2. factor cost-of-service into the purchase price, buy locally (and potentially not the desired unit).

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 AM   #38
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
I think a greater priority would be to get RV manufacturers to improve their product so there are fewer warranty issues. IMO, there shouldn't be a lot of warranty issues to begin with, but then again, I was raised to expect what I pay for.
I don't like the issues with quality either, but it does appear that we rv buyers are getting what we pay for. If you consider the % of income vs rv prices now with 20-25 yrs ago, it has decreased. RV quality has never been as high as on mobile homes, cars or stick built homes. Compare the price of a new car and it's quality, complexity with the cost of an rv and it's quality & complexity.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
Until the RV industry changes the way they do business we all really have two choices:
  1. suck it up and drive the distance to the selling dealer dealer;or
  2. factor cost-of-service into the purchase price, buy locally (and potentially not the desired unit).
Good Luck with that! This owner is on their way back to the (Dealer) for Slide repair! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slides open[1].jpg
Views:	125
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	50691  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Good Luck with that! This owner is on their way back to the (Dealer) for Slide repair! Youroo!!

that was me last year.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, warranty