Old 12-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #11

As a transporter- I often tow for local dealers- I am insured for 1 million as per dot regs(actually 750,000 for campers).I have a one ton dually, not too much makes that sway- no need for weight distribution hitch( I have a 15k hitch and a 20k fifth wheel hitch).I travel slowly carefully.haste makes waste and I can not afford an accident.I l would gladly sign a receipt for your camper and I always take pictures of the outside.
I believe a mans word is his honor.I take that seriously !!!! more people/business should and they should expect the same in return.

I treat customers as I would wanted to be treated and I do camp- 2015 28'5er

Old 12-29-2015, 08:09 PM   #12

thank you for this info. I am going to ask the dealer for transporter name and proof of insurance. Also going to ask transporter to sign a receipt.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:29 AM   #13

Agree that most dealers do pickup and delivery without any paperwork being signed. They are doing this as a courtesy to the owner. As a owner of a travel trailer I would take pictures before pick up so if there are any issues or signs of damage you can prove that the damage occurred during transport or at dealer.

I work by a major freeway and I see transport trucks all day transporting travel trailers so I wouldn't be too worried. Take pictures for a piece of mind....
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #14

Two thoughts:
If the dealer is offering to pick up the trailer to perform warranty work why would you give him a hard time. He is not obliged to do this per the warranty but is doing it out concern for his customer and should be applauded.
As to the equipment used, most factory drivers do not use anything but the ball on their hitch and they are just fine. An 8,000 lb trailer is really not that big for a 3/4 ton or better truck to handle in this manner.
I wouldn't count on your insurance to handle possible damage as most policies are written on the tow vehicle with the trailer being a rider on the original policy. I'm sure the dealer has garage keepers liability insurance if he is any size dealer, but it certainly is worth asking him the question.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvdixie View Post
Two thoughts:
If the dealer is offering to pick up the trailer to perform warranty work why would you give him a hard time. He is not obliged to do this per the warranty but is doing it out concern for his customer and should be applauded.
As to the equipment used, most factory drivers do not use anything but the ball on their hitch and they are just fine. An 8,000 lb trailer is really not that big for a 3/4 ton or better truck to handle in this manner.
I wouldn't count on your insurance to handle possible damage as most policies are written on the tow vehicle with the trailer being a rider on the original policy. I'm sure the dealer has garage keepers liability insurance if he is any size dealer, but it certainly is worth asking him the question.
X2!
Old 12-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #16

In August of 2011 we had our dealer tow our V Cross trailer from the campground to dealership. No problems and no paperwork was signed. We weren't there when they picked it up just told campground manager that dealer was picking unit up. Also told dealer to bring new trailer tires to be able to tow it back to dealership(bad axles)
Good idea about taking pictures before dealer tows trailer
Old 12-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #17

I'd want a paper trail, too. Call your ins. company and see what they say.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #18

I had a similar issue last spring with my Solera. RV dealer who gave first oil service to my vehicle ended up blowing out my engine five miles into my trip by filter put in wrong. Forest River/ Coach.net called for a tow.After waiting on side of hwy. nearly eight hrs. for a giant tow truck to come and tow me, it was after dark. 165 miles later at 1:30 am we arrived at Reno MBZ.
A month later after new engine was installed, I stopped to camp and found out auto jacks would not work. Mercedes said" this is not our problem, we don't work on this RV stuff." It was early summer and Rv service is booked up for weeks. I finally found somene to look at the problem. My jacks, not only being disconnected, we're hanging by a thread. The tow must have loosened them. Now I had to pay to reweld & fix. Barber RV who blew out my engine said that they weren't responsible for this and refused to reimburse me. Even though all this happened because of them. Nor would they reimburse me for food & gas for repeated back and trips. I'm stilling waiting also for credit card reimbursement by Barber RV of the $350. Oil Service that blew my engine last April.
I hope no one has to go throughmy nightmare and also lose their summer vacation.
Be careful how you get towed.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #19
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Due to the time factor, I would guess....no one should need to check out all systems when RV is returned, but, I'd at least do a visual...
Old 12-30-2015, 02:50 PM   #20
Ambassador

Yeah I would either extensively document the condition of the trailer or tow it myself. I would make sure they had a bonded insurance policy for towing vehicles they didn't own as well if I were to let someone near my TT.

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, towing