Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #21
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Pics don't lie....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:17 PM   #22

I don't understand what the problem is, its no different then if a car dealer or repair garage would pickup your car or send a tow truck. I never asked a towing company or dealer to show me your papers and insurance coverage
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:28 PM   #23

I do not have answers to all of your concerns.....but our dealer hires 10 to 12 guys with 3/4 and 1 ton trucks to pull trailers from his dealership to the RV Show site. 21 miles each way and we do not use any add on sway control at all. We transfer 70 to 80 rigs at least 2 times a year to different shows and have not had any issues in 5 years that I have helped.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #24

Talk to a manager at dealership. Issue is insurance. My trailer insurance piggybacks on my truck insurance. And may not be covered if towed by someone else. Only an issue if a problem happens.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:07 PM   #25

Sir i just need to say something to your response, you claim the driver did not use your equipment, that is correct, if he works for the dealer as an employee or privative he will not be allowed to use someone else's equipment, that's first, second you claim the driver while turning on surface streets swung wide and into the other lane while turning, my question is how is he suppose to make the tun with a 23 ft trailer?

I have been driving a large truck and sometimes with a trailer most of my driving life )and even before i could by law) but that's a different story, but to make a turn on surface streets many times you will need to drive into the oncoming traffic to safely make the turn and "not" hit any other objects meaning the trailer or people.

So this driver by law or driving style did nothing wrong by not using your equipment or swinging wide in turns.

Hope this helps you out and Happy camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:22 PM   #26

i wouldnt be worried about them towing it without a WD or antisway setup, chances are they deal with alot larger trailers on a regular basis (sorry, but 8K is hardly a massive load) and likely have a 1ton truck to pick up/deliver/move trailers around. Also like mentioned they wouldnt want to use your gear anyways as they would be liable if anything were to happen if the hitch was faulty.

But like mentioned their would be a little concern about any potential damages that could arise. Not sure how it works there, but around here, if its hooked to a truck and is involved in an incident its covered by the trucks insurance, not the trailer or in this case not even your own insurance.

I would definitely get a few pictures just incase their is a dispute later on down the road, maybe someone gets a little too tight to it while its on their lot and scrapes it or something that they arent even aware of. obviously want to have some outside walkaround pictures as well as anywhere they are potentially doing work/repairs.

Its not unheard of, that their is no paperwork involved especially if they are not using a 3rd party contractor to move it for them.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
I don't understand what the problem is, its no different then if a car dealer or repair garage would pickup your car or send a tow truck. I never asked a towing company or dealer to show me your papers and insurance coverage
You're right to a point, I believe. However, its not uncommon to ask a vendor to produce proof of insurance before starting a job. And, as noted by mtnlvr, when something goes wrong the operators are good at avoiding blame, like the Mercedes dealer stating they don't mess with the RV part, or whomever did the oil change denying the filter part, and maybe the tow operator damaging the jacks. And where's Coachnet that ordered up the tow operator? What a mess. Before FR takes my FW back to the factory I'll take lots of photos, contact my ins. company, and have a signed document of understanding before the sub-contractor hooks up.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #28

My insurance covers the trailer..
No matter who or what is towing it.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #29

my business insurance covers anything that is on my hitch.
riverrat958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:36 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

My fiver has been picked up and returned by my dealership once and picked up and returned by transporters taking it to from factory for repairs twice. My old tt was delivered to me after repairs by that dealership. With both dealerships there was no paperwork just good communication. I also had emails stating pick up and drop off dates. For the factory trips, the driver took the tt. I don't remember signing anything.g, but I also had my storage lot give them the keys and let them take the fiver. The return from the factory, the driver walked around the fiver with us and noted any issues with us (one trip resulted in a banged up closet door). We signed paperwork for the factory tramspitter on delivery only. No drivers ever used our equipment. Our30' 7300 lb tt was towed by the dealer employee without a wdh.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:18 PM   #31

I understand the question but there's really no difference between this situation or if the dealer takes your trailer out for a test drive while being repaired.
rzrnaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, towing