Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2015, 04:41 PM   #1

Dealer towing my RV-any advice?

My 2015 Wildwood Heritage Glen has to go back to the dealer for a 2nd attempt to fix a major issue. Because the issue was not resolved the first time, the dealer has offered to pick up the travel trailer at my home (1-1/2 hour away) and bring it back to the dealership themselves. While arranging for the pickup, I asked the service manager if he would email me whatever paperwork I needed to sign for them to take possession of the trailer. I was told that there was no paperwork, nothing to be done; they would just pick up the trailer and be on their way.
Has anyone ever had a dealer transport their RV? Was there paperwork to be signed? I am nervous about not having any kind of record that the dealer was assuming responsibility for my trailer. Any advice?
The service manager also said they would not be needing/using any anti-sway/weight distribution system (I offered to leave my Blue Ox for them to use). I can't imagine towing a 35', 8K pound trailer without this equipment.
Am I being paranoid or is this standard practice?
Old 12-29-2015, 04:50 PM   #2

I've never done that, but I would want some sort of paper trail. Showing that they are taking responsibility if anything happens. In today's world, someone's "word" isn't good enough when it could result in thousands of dollars worth of damage if they hit someone else or someone hits them.

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I sure would have them produce a document stating they are picking up and will pay for any damages. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #4

Dealer delivered my fifth.
No papers, just my plate and insurance on the trailer.

Driver got a $50, as a tip.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
Site Team

1st question I would ask is is the person/vehicle picking it up private or dealer employed/owned. If private, I might tow it to dealer myself. Not saying transporters are all bad, but if there is an incident, it might be tough to get it resolved.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:32 PM   #6

I'd tow myself and ask for reimbursement for expenses. You have piece of mind but dealer is not off the hook.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:41 PM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Take pics before send'n it off...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:38 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by eresidae View Post
My 2015 Wildwood Heritage Glen has to go back to the dealer for a 2nd attempt to fix a major issue. Because the issue was not resolved the first time, the dealer has offered to pick up the travel trailer at my home (1-1/2 hour away) and bring it back to the dealership themselves. While arranging for the pickup, I asked the service manager if he would email me whatever paperwork I needed to sign for them to take possession of the trailer. I was told that there was no paperwork, nothing to be done; they would just pick up the trailer and be on their way.
Has anyone ever had a dealer transport their RV? Was there paperwork to be signed? I am nervous about not having any kind of record that the dealer was assuming responsibility for my trailer. Any advice?
The service manager also said they would not be needing/using any anti-sway/weight distribution system (I offered to leave my Blue Ox for them to use). I can't imagine towing a 35', 8K pound trailer without this equipment.
Am I being paranoid or is this standard practice?
Not sure how your RV will be towed or if the driver has equipment but when I had my TT towed to the dealership the tow driver said he didn't need my anti-sway/wd equipment. I followed him to the dealership that was about 10 miles away driving on streets, no freeway. When the driver made a turn the TT would swing out into the other lane a bit. I wished I had insisted on using my equipment even if it was for peace of mind on my end.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:44 PM   #9
I go RV'ing not Camping

I had the dealer tow my trailer out to our spot 60 miles away....he hooked it up to his truck no sway or anything and I followed him out to our spot....there was no issues while we were on the highway....I also think if there were any problems that my trailer insurance would have covered the trailer.

Hope that helps?
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:48 PM   #10
Site Team

Once my dealer pickup and then drop off my unit after repairs. No paper, dealer employee and no problems.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #11

As a transporter- I often tow for local dealers- I am insured for 1 million as per dot regs(actually 750,000 for campers).I have a one ton dually, not too much makes that sway- no need for weight distribution hitch( I have a 15k hitch and a 20k fifth wheel hitch).I travel slowly carefully.haste makes waste and I can not afford an accident.I l would gladly sign a receipt for your camper and I always take pictures of the outside.
I believe a mans word is his honor.I take that seriously !!!! more people/business should and they should expect the same in return.

I treat customers as I would wanted to be treated and I do camp- 2015 28'5er
riverrat958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:09 PM   #12

thank you for this info. I am going to ask the dealer for transporter name and proof of insurance. Also going to ask transporter to sign a receipt.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:29 AM   #13

Agree that most dealers do pickup and delivery without any paperwork being signed. They are doing this as a courtesy to the owner. As a owner of a travel trailer I would take pictures before pick up so if there are any issues or signs of damage you can prove that the damage occurred during transport or at dealer.

I work by a major freeway and I see transport trucks all day transporting travel trailers so I wouldn't be too worried. Take pictures for a piece of mind....
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #14

Two thoughts:
If the dealer is offering to pick up the trailer to perform warranty work why would you give him a hard time. He is not obliged to do this per the warranty but is doing it out concern for his customer and should be applauded.
As to the equipment used, most factory drivers do not use anything but the ball on their hitch and they are just fine. An 8,000 lb trailer is really not that big for a 3/4 ton or better truck to handle in this manner.
I wouldn't count on your insurance to handle possible damage as most policies are written on the tow vehicle with the trailer being a rider on the original policy. I'm sure the dealer has garage keepers liability insurance if he is any size dealer, but it certainly is worth asking him the question.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvdixie View Post
Two thoughts:
If the dealer is offering to pick up the trailer to perform warranty work why would you give him a hard time. He is not obliged to do this per the warranty but is doing it out concern for his customer and should be applauded.
As to the equipment used, most factory drivers do not use anything but the ball on their hitch and they are just fine. An 8,000 lb trailer is really not that big for a 3/4 ton or better truck to handle in this manner.
I wouldn't count on your insurance to handle possible damage as most policies are written on the tow vehicle with the trailer being a rider on the original policy. I'm sure the dealer has garage keepers liability insurance if he is any size dealer, but it certainly is worth asking him the question.
X2!
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #16

In August of 2011 we had our dealer tow our V Cross trailer from the campground to dealership. No problems and no paperwork was signed. We weren't there when they picked it up just told campground manager that dealer was picking unit up. Also told dealer to bring new trailer tires to be able to tow it back to dealership(bad axles)
Good idea about taking pictures before dealer tows trailer
rhughsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #17

I'd want a paper trail, too. Call your ins. company and see what they say.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #18

I had a similar issue last spring with my Solera. RV dealer who gave first oil service to my vehicle ended up blowing out my engine five miles into my trip by filter put in wrong. Forest River/ Coach.net called for a tow.After waiting on side of hwy. nearly eight hrs. for a giant tow truck to come and tow me, it was after dark. 165 miles later at 1:30 am we arrived at Reno MBZ.
A month later after new engine was installed, I stopped to camp and found out auto jacks would not work. Mercedes said" this is not our problem, we don't work on this RV stuff." It was early summer and Rv service is booked up for weeks. I finally found somene to look at the problem. My jacks, not only being disconnected, we're hanging by a thread. The tow must have loosened them. Now I had to pay to reweld & fix. Barber RV who blew out my engine said that they weren't responsible for this and refused to reimburse me. Even though all this happened because of them. Nor would they reimburse me for food & gas for repeated back and trips. I'm stilling waiting also for credit card reimbursement by Barber RV of the $350. Oil Service that blew my engine last April.
I hope no one has to go throughmy nightmare and also lose their summer vacation.
Be careful how you get towed.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #19
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Due to the time factor, I would guess....no one should need to check out all systems when RV is returned, but, I'd at least do a visual...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:50 PM   #20
Ambassador

Yeah I would either extensively document the condition of the trailer or tow it myself. I would make sure they had a bonded insurance policy for towing vehicles they didn't own as well if I were to let someone near my TT.

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, towing