Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #1

Dealer trade in

Looking to trade in our 2017 Wolf pup 16bhs limited. Anyone have experience with dealer trade ins? Do they offer decent trade ins or does it vary from dealership?
Ghill51678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghill51678 View Post
Looking to trade in our 2017 Wolf pup 16bhs limited. Anyone have experience with dealer trade ins? Do they offer decent trade ins or does it vary from dealership?
Depends a lot on how much they're making on the new deal. If they've got $10K markup in the new one, they might offer you $5K more than a dealer down the road that has the new one priced with a $5K markup. Trade diff is all that really matters- but it's more difficult to do an accurate price comparison on an RV than a car because of the vast number of brands, models and options. But to answer your question directly- no, I've never found a dealer that offered really good trade in value. I just sell myself and make the extra $5K off that deal and then buy from RVWholesalers which saves me another $3-$5K over my local prices. Usually takes a total investment of less 20 hours and dealing with 3-5 lookers before I get a buyer. Might have to make payments on both rigs for a couple of months- but I can handle all that for $8-$10K in savings.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Plain & simple. Where they say they are giving you top for your trade, they make up somewhere else, like a higher interest rate.
My recommendation is if it's an older unit and you own it outright put it on Craigslist. If you still owe on it and have to trade it in then get deals from 3 different RV centers and work out ALL the figures to the bottom dollar of what the unit is costing you.
Other than that there are too many scenarios to even list.
That's my opinion and what I follow.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #4

The dealer I go to lists the msrp and the amount he will sell the new unit for....typically 30 percent off msrp. This is the same even if you have a trade-in.

But he low-balls the trade-in. Gave me 6k on a trade-in and a week later had it on his website for 10k. Don't know what he actually got for it, but obviously room for profit on the back end.

Still, I prefer letting someone else deal with buyers and paperwork.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #5

Local dealer is 30% off retail value -- MSRP.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #6
Broken Toe

Trading in with dealer, or selling it yourself each has pluses and minuses...

The big plus with trading it in is, you will be out from under your current trailer in very little time. The minus is that you won't get as much for it as you could selling it outright yourself. Oh.. they might cook the numbers a little to make it look like you are getting a lot for it, but you won't. Dealers don't make money giving it away on trades.

The big plus of selling it yourself is you can get true top-dollar, but don't forget that "top dollar" and "what you want for it" are two separate things. If you have time, and space to store it, to me its best to sell outright to another party. But if don't, or you just want to be done with it, trade it in knowing you will probably pay for the convenience.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #7
pmf

We traded our 2018 Sprinter in on a 2018 Sanibel and the biggest thing I was looking for is how much the payment went up. The deal is so confusing that you really don't know what the give you for the old one and what you paid for the new one. I have the bottom line and was happy with it and had no idea we would make out that well. It's like car dealers when they are getting to the end of the month and haven't made their quota they start dealing.

Good luck!
Pat
2017 Ram SRW 3500 Laramie Diesel
pmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #8
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
The dealer I go to lists the msrp and the amount he will sell the new unit for....typically 30 percent off msrp. This is the same even if you have a trade-in.

But he low-balls the trade-in. Gave me 6k on a trade-in and a week later had it on his website for 10k. Don't know what he actually got for it, but obviously room for profit on the back end.

Still, I prefer letting someone else deal with buyers and paperwork.

And then he will sell it for 30% off.

The dealer knows all the numbers. Make sure you do too.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #9

Everything works off of wholesale value. Wholesale value (in my experience) is near the “low value” of NADA. I just went through this in July when I got rid of my TT and got my 5er. I looked up nada value (don’t list options) and got the range of low and high. Went to the dealer. He whipped out his nada guide and showed me wholesale and low and high. He offered me wholesale plus 2k because I had a popular bunkhouse he thought would sell quick.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:11 AM   #10

Traded the wolf pup and got a good deal. They gave me $9600 for my 2017 pup. Covered my payoff and got us into a 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s. We couldn’t be happier right now..
Ghill51678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:36 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Any deal that involves a trade in and financing is actually three deals. The trade, the new one, and the financing. In my experience, you will get a great deal on only one of them; perhaps a "good" deal on two; and never all three.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:45 AM   #12
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Traded the wolf pup and got a good deal. They gave me $9600 for my 2017 pup. Covered my payoff and got us into a 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s. We couldn’t be happier right now..
Congrats! And in the end as long as you're happy that's what matters the most. Enjoy!
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:56 AM   #13

Yep, as long as you are happy that is all that really matters.

Congrats.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Any deal that involves a trade in and financing is actually three deals. The trade, the new one, and the financing. In my experience, you will get a great deal on only one of them; perhaps a "good" deal on two; and never all three.
Pretty good analysis, Herk! The only thing I would change is when you say you "will get a great deal on only one of them" I'll say you "can get a great deal on only one of them." It's not a given with the vast majority of local dealers that you'll get great deal of any kind. This is one of the things that really irks me about my local RV dealers. Basically they're going to milk every cent out of everyone they can. If you aren't REALLY on your toes you WILL get taken advantage of. This is one of the reasons I really like the way RVWholesalers does business- they offer a really good price to everyone instead of really gouging the more vulnerable. My experiences have never involved a trade, though- only purchase price and financing.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #15
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Depends a lot on how much they're making on the new deal. [...]
A few people posted similar comments. I disagree. If you allow the trade-in and purchase to become one large deal, you lose ... though you may not realize it at the time.

These are separate, completely unrelated deals. The used RV has a value. The value of that used RV has nothing to do with the sale price of some other RV. The used value is what it is. It doesn't matter what you originally paid for it. It doesn't matter how much you have remaining on your loan. It doesn't matter if you're buying some other RV. And so on. Market value doesn't care about those things.

So, negotiate the trade-in price based on the market value of the RV. The dealer isn't the end-buyer, so there is an additional mouth to feed in the supply chain. If your RV is worth $10K, then you get $6K from the dealer (as an example).

When you're done with that, you can move on to the new RV purchase. That price should reflect the market value for that new RV. It has nothing to do with what you might have traded in, if anything at all.

You can get a good deal on trade-in and new RV (and finance), since they're unrelated. Dealers will try to conflate them, which puts the buyer at a disadvantage in most cases.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
A few people posted similar comments. I disagree. If you allow the trade-in and purchase to become one large deal, you lose ... though you may not realize it at the time.

These are separate, completely unrelated deals. The used RV has a value. The value of that used RV has nothing to do with the sale price of some other RV. The used value is what it is. It doesn't matter what you originally paid for it. It doesn't matter how much you have remaining on your loan. It doesn't matter if you're buying some other RV. And so on. Market value doesn't care about those things.

So, negotiate the trade-in price based on the market value of the RV. The dealer isn't the end-buyer, so there is an additional mouth to feed in the supply chain. If your RV is worth $10K, then you get $6K from the dealer (as an example).

When you're done with that, you can move on to the new RV purchase. That price should reflect the market value for that new RV. It has nothing to do with what you might have traded in, if anything at all.

You can get a good deal on trade-in and new RV (and finance), since they're unrelated. Dealers will try to conflate them, which puts the buyer at a disadvantage in most cases.

Good luck.
I agree with everything you said. I never negotiate based upon a trade. I never even mention a trade until I've negotiated to where I want to be on the new. Unfortunately most people don't do this. They'll think they just got a great trade offer, but they really just overpaid on the new. In that situation, how well you did on your trade value very much depends on what you paid for the new.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:53 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
. . . .
Do they offer decent trade ins or does it vary from dealership?
I know your deal is done and you're happy... but for others who read this thread "it depends on who THEY are." When I traded my last TT, the salesman asked "What do you want for your trade-in?" I told him. He wrote it on his business card. He left the company. I went back to do the deal... got a new salesman. I showed him the long-gone salesman's business card and he honored my asking price. That doesn't happen everywhere or often! I got 30+% off of MSRP on the new one.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post

Good luck.
Well said. Same method applies to car purchases. Dealers love people who only care about the monthly payment, which has nothing to do with the real deal.
sportbikenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
This is one of the reasons I really like the way RVWholesalers does business- they offer a really good price to everyone instead of really gouging the more vulnerable. My experiences have never involved a trade, though- only purchase price and financing.
I liked them a lot until I asked about paying cash. Their price quote depends on them financing the deal (which is not bad, btw). It will be $3,000 higher as a cash deal (according to the salesman).

RVOne and Wholesale RV Club had the same low price without the "must finance" penalty. However, you need to watch out for "delivery fees" and "PDI fee" which may suddenly appear when your unit is delivered.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I liked them a lot until I asked about paying cash. Their price quote depends on them financing the deal (which is not bad, btw). It will be $3,000 higher as a cash deal (according to the salesman).

RVOne and Wholesale RV Club had the same low price without the "must finance" penalty. However, you need to watch out for "delivery fees" and "PDI fee" which may suddenly appear when your unit is delivered.
The finance discount depends on the make of the camper. I think it was like a 1500 or 2000 difference on my Puma but was like 4000 on my parents Class C. I always finance and they always offer a rate right in line with my credit union, which is very good, so I didn't see an issue. My understanding though is that you have to have it financed for 1 year but can pay a huge chunk the first month as long as you leave enough of a balance to carry it out for a year before paying it off. This means you'll only spend a couple hundred to save several thousand typically. I've financed new cars with the dealer to save money before- Ford used to offer several thousand at times- and then refinanced after 3 months. Their interest rate would be like 7% when my CU would give me less than 2, though.

Tags
dealer