Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #1

Dealer Trouble

Before I publish the dealers name, I wanted to see if anyone else has heard of this. I ordered my coach 9 weeks ago. I put $2K down and waited semi patiently. The delivery date (to my site) was tentatively scheduled for tomorrow. The Dealer set up the delivery (not me). However, it has been raining all day, and will most likely rain all night, and the delivery driver stated he does not want to attempt delivery in the rain (mud-and I agree). The delivery is now postponed 2-3 weeks. The Owner is insisting I pay off the Coach TODAY-and store it there until delivery. I have run a business for many years, purchased many cars, trucks etc-never have been asked (more like demanded) anything like this. Needless to say I asked for my deposit, they refused to give it back and I left. Wil be meeting with my attorney tomorrow. I will publish dealer name once I get legal counsel involved. Anyone have a Ph # for Forest River-Customer Service?
es335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #2

I think I have to side with the dealer here...

The dealer would have to buy the RV with his cash (which he may not have), then hope you sign the paperwork in 2 weeks. Then to ask for your deposit back was salt in the wound. The whole point of the deposit is to protect the dealer from you walking away and sticking him with the unit.

When I bought my 370, I was headed out of town on a mixture of business and pleasure, so I signed all the paperwork, set up the insurance and tags and then left the rig at the dealer for 5 weeks.
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have to agree with TulsaSteve. The dealer should be paid in full now. I'm not sure that I understand why you have to wait another 2-3 weeks for it to be delivered to the site. What if it's rainy/muddy at the next scheduled delivery...the dealers to wait for payment again! Do the PDI at the dealer now if possible and pay in full if it's as you ordered. Storage at the dealer until delivery should be free.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #4

I would agree except for the fact that this deal hinged on the fact that the unit would be delivered -on site. At no time did I agree to pay for the unit and then wait until they decide it can be delivered. I totally understand abut the weather, operational issues-no problem there. I don't even mind waiting a few extra weeks. My issue is paying the dealer before I can take delivery. If this was a small tt that I could pick up-agree, pay for the unit. In my case what motivation does the dealer have to follow through on the delivery once the tt has been paid for. I was orginally told the delivery time would be 4 weeks-I guess I should go back and charge interest on my deposit? Or, does the expense of the delivery driver problem Forest River is having fall to the consumer as well. Sorry guys-I don't agree. If dealer wants paid when the unit arrives-the need to spell that out in the agreement. As far as the dealer's "floor plan" goes-not my problem. If you can't afford to buy stock-don't order it
Old 04-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #5

es335, so if I understand this correctly, the dealer has your trailer on his lot, yet he is not able to deliver it to your permanent site, he is demanding that you complete the purchase and payment in full to him, however... due to the weather, he is unable to safely deliver the trailer to the site for a few more weeks. His options could be he would try to deliver the trailer now and cause damage because he gets stuck, or you risk it settling on unstable ground.

It sounds like you are trying to see who is the most headstrong. If you really want the trailer, just make the payment, short of maybe a thousand dollars which would be payable upon delivery, but really... your argument sounds kind of juvenile. Upon payment and transfer of title there really is nothing stopping his motivation to deliver the trailer as by legal ownership, he has to.

If I were the dealer, I would hook it up and send it to your site and let you worry about whatever problems you might encounter being set up when the ground is not stable.

gitrdone... move on...
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #6

I had to put 10% down to even order mine, that's a good chunk of change that was somewhere in the neighborhood of 11K and it's a large leap of faith to send off a check that big. When I got word that the rig was done I had to make final payment at that time and before they would drive it out to me from Indiana to Washington.

Sorry I have to agree with the others and the dealer here. What is really the issue here? Are you afraid that he will abscond with your money and your trailer and leave you holding the bag? If he did THEN I would get a lawyer.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #7

Hmmmm sounds like I might not be the only one that has had issues with a local dealer. It appears as though the opinion of a good deal/bad deal, good dealer bad dealer is more relavant to if you are the one actually making the deal-or judging someone else's deal.

"Also went with RVdirect.com instead of our local dealer as they were a bunch of jerks to us that seemed like they were trying to sell us a used '78 gremlin instead of a motor coach worth over 100K. From all the complaints I have seen across the net and in magazines and such it would appear that the really big dealerships usually get very low marks in satisfaction. Funny thing is that our local dealer has complete web sites devoted to their lousy service but they were. . . "
Old 04-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by es335 View Post
Hmmmm sounds like I might not be the only one that has had issues with a local dealer. It appears as though the opinion of a good deal/bad deal, good dealer bad dealer is more relavant to if you are the one actually making the deal-or judging someone else's deal.

"Also went with RVdirect.com instead of our local dealer as they were a bunch of jerks to us that seemed like they were trying to sell us a used '78 gremlin instead of a motor coach worth over 100K. From all the complaints I have seen across the net and in magazines and such it would appear that the really big dealerships usually get very low marks in satisfaction. Funny thing is that our local dealer has complete web sites devoted to their lousy service but they were. . . "
Your right. People can be real jerks. They agree to things, change their minds, wait until they have maximum leverage in a deal and use that leverage to screw others. They threaten to hire lawyers when they don't like the contracts that they've signed. There are certainly some nasty spoiled brats out there. I work hard to avoid those folks once I spot them. They just aren't worth my time.

By the way.. You should check out rv.net. It's super awesome!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaSteve View Post
Your right. People can be real jerks. They agree to things, change their minds, wait until they have maximum leverage in a deal and use that leverage to screw others. They threaten to hire lawyers when they don't like the contracts that they've signed. There are certainly some nasty spoiled brats out there. I work hard to avoid those folks once I spot them. They just aren't worth my time.

By the way.. You should check out rv.net. It's super awesome!
Steve!

FWIW ES335. I didn't make a deal with the local dealer because I could spot them coming a mile away. You're comparing apples to oranges. Simply put as others here have stated, YOUR WRONG!
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 04-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #10

Tulsa steve-the quote in my response, is quoted because it is not mine. It came from one of the other "Senior Members" on this site, and is relative to one of their experiences. NWJeeper I believe. . .

I do like your "Spoiled Brat" reference though....adds a bit if class to the Forum
Old 04-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Tulsa steve-the quote in my response, is quoted because it is not mine. It came from one of the other "Senior Members" on this site, and is relative to one of their experiences. NWJeeper I believe. . .

I do like your "Spoile Brat" reference though....adds a bit if class to the Forum
You asked for opinions on your problem. You got the same answer from each person responding. If you don't want to hear the answer don't ask the question.

I too think you would really like RV.net forums
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 04-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Before I publish the dealers name, I wanted to see if anyone else has heard of this. I ordered my coach 9 weeks ago. I put $2K down and waited semi patiently. The delivery date (to my site) was tentatively scheduled for tomorrow. The Dealer set up the delivery (not me). However, it has been raining all day, and will most likely rain all night, and the delivery driver stated he does not want to attempt delivery in the rain (mud-and I agree). The delivery is now postponed 2-3 weeks. The Owner is insisting I pay off the Coach TODAY-and store it there until delivery. I have run a business for many years, purchased many cars, trucks etc-never have been asked (more like demanded) anything like this. Needless to say I asked for my deposit, they refused to give it back and I left. Wil be meeting with my attorney tomorrow. I will publish dealer name once I get legal counsel involved. Anyone have a Ph # for Forest River-Customer Service?
I'm new here but I have quite a bit of experience with dealers and vehicle sales. My personal opinion from what I read here is that ES335's deal hinged on getting the coach delivered to his site. To me that is part of what he is paying for. For the dealer to demand ALL of the money without finishing the deal seems out of line to me. He can't use it until it gets delivered. He has to pay for it and wait until the dealer "feels like" moving it to his site.

Once the dealer has your money, he doesn't care when you get your camper. I would be curious if they have even delivered it yet? If you paid in full up front, I would be willing to bet they will be dragging their feet. If so, I would not hesitate to list them on here as a "bad dealer". After all, isn't this the point of this thread?

Just my $0.02 worth. But what do I know, some people think I am an idiot.
Fat Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Fisherman View Post
I'm new here but I have quite a bit of experience with dealers and vehicle sales. My personal opinion from what I read here is that ES335's deal hinged on getting the coach delivered to his site. To me that is part of what he is paying for. For the dealer to demand ALL of the money without finishing the deal seems out of line to me. He can't use it until it gets delivered. He has to pay for it and wait until the dealer "feels like" moving it to his site.

Once the dealer has your money, he doesn't care when you get your camper. I would be curious if they have even delivered it yet? If you paid in full up front, I would be willing to bet they will be dragging their feet. If so, I would not hesitate to list them on here as a "bad dealer". After all, isn't this the point of this thread?
I'm also curious how it worked out. I deal with contracts a lot in my business and after you do a few it becomes clear that nobody has written a perfect one. You do the best you can, both sign and then get flexible when ***** happens (It ALWAYS does).

When I read it, I saw a dealer that was willing to store the unit for free and deliver it when it was good for the buyer, if the buyer paid in full. The buyer counter offered with a "screw u I want my deposit back". Might have been better to offer to pay off all but say 10% and then pay that off when it's delivered. The dealer didn't pick the site and the buyer didn't choose the weather. Gotta stay flexible and look for a win-win.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Well said!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:43 AM   #15

Quote:
I'm also curious how it worked out. I deal with contracts a lot in my business and after you do a few it becomes clear that nobody has written a perfect one. You do the best you can, both sign and then get flexible when ***** happens (It ALWAYS does).

When I read it, I saw a dealer that was willing to store the unit for free and deliver it when it was good for the buyer, if the buyer paid in full. The buyer counter offered with a "screw u I want my deposit back". Might have been better to offer to pay off all but say 10% and then pay that off when it's delivered. The dealer didn't pick the site and the buyer didn't choose the weather. Gotta stay flexible and look for a win-win.
Wow! There are some people out there with common sense ! Too bad everyone doesn't think this way
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #16
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:

100% right on Steve. Had each party followed your recommendations there would has been no issues at all. If there's anyone to blame it's Mother Nature, still a bit ticked at her for the three 20+ inches of snow storms this past winter.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #17

Update,
I reviewed the contract and there is absolutely no criteria stating that payment was due when the unit "arrived". However I decided to take the "higher road" and paid the dealer the next day. Exactly what I thought would happen, did. The unit is still not delivered (as I suspected). Dealer states too busy, no one avialable etc. Weather has not been a factor.
I don't usually make this bad of a deal/decesion. There is no question I should have held my money and let the dealer keep the deposit -then pay off once the unit was delivered, or even the day before. The delivery absolutely was in the agreement/contract and was an integral part of the deal. There is no question that if they do not make the delivery in a reasonable time period, I can take legal action. This is not usually the best way to reach a "solve" unless you are the attorney getting paid to complete the transaction. As stated before, I have been running a fairly large business for 25 years-no stranger to deals, contracts and agreements. I made the WRONG decesion this time, it happens. I am just thankful I insisted the "delivery" was put on the contract. I will work it out-I always do.
I did get some entertainment from the responses on this string though....
Old 04-21-2010, 11:01 PM   #18

es335,

Too bad that things worked out the way they did. I hope your coach gets delivered soon.

Good luck.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:18 AM   #19

ENTERTAINMENT. I know. I enjoyed this one too. Some people reply just to boost their post counts.
turbopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Update,
I reviewed the contract and there is absolutely no criteria stating that payment was due when the unit "arrived". However I decided to take the "higher road" and paid the dealer the next day. Exactly what I thought would happen, did. The unit is still not delivered (as I suspected). Dealer states too busy, no one avialable etc. Weather has not been a factor.
No criteria for when payment is due? WOW.. that's a HORRIBLE contract. The payment due trigger is one of the MOST important bits.

Hopefully the dealer isn't screwing you because you asked for your deposit back, but then again it's only been a couple weeks since your original post so maybe there is a few weeks lead time to get a delivery guy lined up.

Good luck and remember the advice here is free, so your getting what you paid for!