Old 12-21-2018, 06:21 PM   #1

Deciding whether to tow 5th wheel to Colorado Springs from Georgia

We are supposed to move our daughter to Colorado Springs from Georgia. Plans are to leave two days after Christmas and are expecting it to take three days. We have all-terrain tires and 4WD on the tow vehicle, pulling a 2014 Rockwood 8289WS fifth wheel. We have planned northern routes through Kansas and a southern route through Shreveport, Amarillo, and Pueblo.

We have been watching the weather multiple times each day in all of the locations as well as along the way, and as much as it changes, it's hard to decide what to do. We're up on the law about snow chains in CO (we aren't required to have them with 4WD), looked at info about sealing sun lights/roof vents, part of the refrigerator vents on back to keep the fridge running (it will be really cold the two weeks we're there, barely getting above freezing), and are planning to order heavy duty vinyl to make a skirt around the fifth wheel. Thoughts are to stop every few hours while traveling on days it's below freezing and crank up the furnace to warm things up a bit inside and keep pipes from freezing. We'll be running the furnace while we camp on my son's property (he has full hookups).

Any other tips or should we just pay for hotels and leave the fifth wheel at home?

larkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #2

I used to live in that area. Weather is always a gamble this time of year. Can be perfect for traveling, can be miserable. If you have a serious deadline and/or time constraints, it might be a little tougher with an RV. Otherwise I would probably take the RV if I planned to stay a week or two.

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I had the 8289WS, not worthy for this trip. Condensation will be major issue with paper thin walls. Not to mention furnace running non stop. We stayed in a Park here in Ontario with our 8289 it was 32 daytime and 25 night. We used 30 lbs in 2 days and then another 30 lbs for the last day and night. We used the fireplace too. Water didn't freeze.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:29 PM   #4

Do it

We have the same fifth wheel except it's a 2017. For us, we figure we already have the camper so that's what we would use versus the motel. Plus we have our travel companion, Clyde (dog) that makes camping better then finding a pet friendly motel. We live in Iowa and when our son was stationed in New Orleans for seven years we pulled the fifth wheel there multiple times. When we left Iowa it was bitterly cold but as we travelled south it got better. We had a Denali fifth wheel then but our new 8289WS has more winter friendly features then the Denali ever had. We will be heading to Key West in the near future to see the Coast Guard Son and his family and will take the camper. I really don't see any problems with the cold as we travel. Crank up the fire place and electric heater when we stop and should be good to go. For what we pay for these units we feel it's better to use them versus paying for motel rooms. Just my 2 cents.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I used to live in that area. Weather is always a gamble this time of year. Can be perfect for traveling, can be miserable. If you have a serious deadline and/or time constraints, it might be a little tougher with an RV. Otherwise I would probably take the RV if I planned to stay a week or two.

Thanks for the info, NMWildcat -- we will be there up to two weeks, so that's why we were considering towing the camper. Not to mention as much as we love our grandkids, I'm sure my husband and I will need a break from three grandkids 4 months, 7 months, and 2 years...
Old 12-21-2018, 07:35 PM   #6

We know the feeling, grand kids are great but we also need our own space. The camper works great for that down time. Wishing you the very best and enjoy your visit. The camper will either work or it won't, you won't know unless you give it a try.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I had the 8289WS, not worthy for this trip. Condensation will be major issue with paper thin walls. Not to mention furnace running non stop. We stayed in a Park here in Ontario with our 8289 it was 32 daytime and 25 night. We used 30 lbs in 2 days and then another 30 lbs for the last day and night. We used the fireplace too. Water didn't freeze.
I have read where if you crack a roof vent and supplement gas furnace with electric space heaters, it will cut down on condensation. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 12-21-2018, 08:42 PM   #8
Berkshire 390QS

Unless you are planning on staying in CS for more than a few days, do the hotels. You will make better time, won't have to worry about frozen water line etc. Skip
NO3putt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkar View Post
I have read where if you crack a roof vent and supplement gas furnace with electric space heaters, it will cut down on condensation. Thanks for the reminder!
Exactly. In this part of the country, condensation is not that big of a problem. If there is any, a cracked vent usually takes care of it.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #10

The southern route is a roll of the dice this time of year in the area around Amarillo. The weather forecast for the time you are traveling looks good up through Amarillo and the Texas/Oklahoma panhandle area but there is rain and stormy weather forecast across North Texas (if you take I-20 to Texas) in the middle of next week. Be aware that I-20 at the Louisiana/Texas border is down to one lane in both directions at Shreveport LA, so you may want to identify a bypass route if you go that way. The mountains have snow and snow showers forecast through next Friday. It looks like it will be cloudy and cold (below freezing) with highs in the 20's when you get there. Safe travels!

elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel