Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 09:34 PM   #1

defective lamination glue issue

Went to buy a "new" Mini Lite 2104s today and was told the trailer would be available after returning from the factory and having the walls replaced. Another dealership salesman said the same thing about a batch of "bad glue" FR was using for lamination and multiple trailers had to be sent back to the factory to have the potentially defective walls replaced before they could be sold.

I've tried to find out more about this by searching the forums and Google, but no luck. Does anyone know about this? Were there certain production dates or models that were involved? I did see one reference to bad glue and units made during one week around Oct. 11, 2017, but no confirmation. I'd appreciate knowing before I buy a new trailer that may have had it's walls replaced or should be replaced. Thanks all. Pardon me if this has already been discussed. I just can't find it.

Al
awagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:45 PM   #2

I have a lot of the trim coming unglued on my 2018 264l CHEROKEE. Mostly molding and backsplash.

From what I have noticed it looks like they just didn’t use the proper amount?

I’m not a TT construction expert but either bad glue or just didn’t use as instructed.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:59 AM   #3

First I have heard of this, but things happen and once repaired it will be better then new for sure. Wouldn't let that stop me from buying it.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:16 AM   #4

Hopefully this hasn’t been an issue for too long, because it can really impact the production of new units. But, I am sure everybody with defective units will be taken care of, eventually.

My friend has owned a countertop manufacturing company since the early 80s. This is when there was pretty much nothing other than Formica used for tops. There was a two-month period back then where he was building tops with what was later found to be defective glue to bond the Formica to the wood. He had built hundreds of countertops in that time. After the bad glue batch numbers were provided, he had to replace every top he had made with that glue. He was compensated by the glue manufacturer, but he had to hire lots of additional help to keep up with the additional amount of work, but it ended up being a money maker for him. It took him almost a year to take care of all of the defects and it significantly slowed his production time on new work.

Bruce
Old 10-04-2018, 03:46 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Now many FR Trailer are out there now that have ticking self destruct issues? I have seen many reports form other models on this forum with delamination issues. This is big story for all FR products.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:48 AM   #6

If you search the Rockwood and Flagstaff sub forums on here you will find multiple posts about this issue on the new Micro/Mini series.
Not sure of the exact date of production but if I recall correctly it was somewhere around the time frame you mentioned, and I believe it included a 2-week time span.

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #7

My 2 cents

If you experience delamination, and you’re more than a year from date of purchase, as far as FR is concerned you’re on your own. I’ve been there. That’s just one reason why I went to Winnebago. Forest River could care less. Really. They don’t care Really. They’ll blame you. Really. FR is the worst company.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #8
Bene Gesserit Rule

My FR Wildwood Heritage Glen 28RLT, now just hitting 3 years old) has a delamination problem, the entire back wall is at risk from falling off. The left corner is coming apart near the bottom. It goes in for repair next week, at my expense (around $800). They are going to try some glue and a bracket-n-bolt arrangement to bring it all back together. Hop it works.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipf18 View Post
If you experience delamination, and you’re more than a year from date of purchase, as far as FR is concerned you’re on your own. I’ve been there. That’s just one reason why I went to Winnebago. Forest River could care less. Really. They don’t care Really. They’ll blame you. Really. FR is the worst company.
That would be fine if winnebago wasn't total garbage , not even FR is as bad . also if this becomes a know issue most likely you could get factory replacement even after one year .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:59 PM   #10

I asked Forest River about the glue and delamination problem. They got right back to me with the affected RV VIN numbers and dates of manufacturing. A total of about 200 FR RV's were affected and not limited to Forest River. Other RV manufacturers also got the bad glue. The glue company paid for the repairs and shipping back to the factory so the repair would be done to FR's level of quality. The Mini Lite I was considering purchasing was not one of the recalled units and I bought it today. I'm quite please with FR's honesty and responsiveness to my inquiry. However, I don't think I should pass the information on without their consent.
awagnon is offline   Reply With Quote