Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
daydreaming about camping
While it is easy for me to say I would go get it and not even consider delivery, that is not your situation. We each have to make do with what we have.

So this is my advice, I would have a long conversation with the selling dealer about what happens if it shows up damaged. There have been several threads lately about delivery of trailers that were damaged. Look for specific answers, not just a general "we will take care of it." That is far easier said, than done. Warn the dealer that if the camper is damaged en route, you will refuse to accept it. Discuss what will happen then. Note that under no circumstances should you be compelled to pay for the trailer prior to acceptance upon delivery. You may be giving up almost all protection you have under state law if you pay for it site unseen.

Then I would talk with a local independent RV mechanic. See how much they would charge to help you with accepting the unit, inspect and fix any minor problems (loose fittings, wires etc.) You may want to make your decision on accepting based upon what the local RV mechanic can tell you. You do not want to get stuck with a unit that has problems.

I suggest a local independent RV mechanic because odds are your local FR dealer will refuse to even touch your unit. They are not obligated by FR to honor your warranty, a fact that has been discussed ad nausea on this forum. However, the selling dealer may be able to work something out with a local dealer to accept the unit, prep it for your pickup and do a final PDI. This would clearly be your best alternative.

At this point, my guess is the selling dealer expects to hook it up in their lot to a shipper, take your payment and never hear from either of you again. The shipper expects to pull up to large parking lot near you (they most often will NOT deliver to your residential area), drop the trailer with no more than two words exchanged with you and leave. The trailer condition after 2000 miles on the road is your responsibility. Best to try and set some different expectations up front.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Grizzlygibbs View Post
Is this a serious response? I take advantage of my weekends and only living 10 miles from the Wenatchee National Forest and only 15 and 30 respectively to the nearest wilderness access points... I may not use a TT based on not being able to take a week or more off?

I am on a schedule, have appointments and responsibilities, as well as a family... Sometimes being a grown up sucks, but yes, one week in the midst of a busy season makes it hard to take a whole week off, rather than a day here or there to add onto a weekend!

Are you saying from experience that it becomes my problem to fix it if I have it delivered?
Sorry if I offended you...

There's a high probabilty that fixing/adjusting will need to be done on the camper when it arrives at All Seasons RV...shouldn't be but that seems to be the nature of the RV industry. If the dealer doesn't correct all, the problem becomes yours. Yes, it's under warranty, but local dealers aren't obliged to do warranty work on units that they didn't sell. Large internet dealers such as RVW have some type of dealer service network which would help. I have no idea what All Seasons RV has should you have a warranty issue.

That's the reasoning I was using to justfy pick-up at the dealer. You'd be doing the PDI at the dealer where any problems identified can be fixed. That's not possible in some parking lot off the interstate.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
Grizzly, by the sounds of your schedule, it doesn't seem to make sense to drive that far to pick it up yourself. And by the way you talk, you make lots of money at whatever job you do, so it would cost you more in lost work than the delivery guy would charge.
The odds are that the delivery guy would be reasonably careful with your camper, and you could always ask the dealer for a recommended delivery dude.
You do hear the odd story about campers arriving half destroyed, but most are fine. Ours was transported from the factory to Minneapolis, where we picked it up, and it was immaculate.
One thing you might want to avoid is getting it too early in the spring, when the roads could still be very salty. Some of the chemicals they use will strip the paint right off the undercarriage/frame and rust the begeebers out of it. The camper would never be the same after that.
Good luck!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
X2 for taking delivery at dealer's site for PDI and subsequent fixing of issues by the dealer.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
I really appreciate everyones comments on this topic.

I understand all of these situations and the advantages of doing a PDI before taking possession but I was kind of hoping for some real world opinions from those who have actually had their TT delivered.

Of course nothing is set in stone yet. I may still end up picking it up, just wanted to hear from those who have experienced RV/TT delivery.
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #16
I bought a forester from a dealer insN Diego, and I live in Boston area. Time constraints prevented me from making the trip, so we got a driver from uship. We did have some issues, nothing I couldn't handle, but if there was a major problem we would have been screwed.

I don't know if I would do it again.
lkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #17
delivery or pick-up ?

You should read this ..... Columbus Transport issues
lots to learn here . Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #18
Definitely some sketchy stories on delivery, but I am fairly confident that not every deliver ends up in demise. I will definitely keep my options open, especially the option of canceling prior appointments or moving my schedule around and making the entire drive. When time gets closer I will be more confident in my answer and will definitely let people know what I decided and how everything went.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
Hello everyone. The last two weeks I have been putting in long hours by moving my schedule around and putting in extra work. We have decided to save on financing the extra money and we estimate we will save at the very least, half of what delivery cost would be. Plus it will just be me and my wife and it will be a good memory and good to spend some time away from home responsibilities.

I plan to break the trip up into 3 10 hour sections. This is happening later this month and we are both excited but both nervous as well as have never travelled this far or this long before.

We hope to make the whole trip in 6 days and I am sure we will be dog tired but it will be fun. I'm gonna get some audio books and just enjoy the open road with my sweetie!

Thanks for everyone who weighed in, it did help me to make my decision.

2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited w/tow mirrors, 5.7L, 4.30 gears, six speed tranny, towing package, Firestone Ride Rite airbags.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,