Old 05-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #11

Your could go with the Vibe and eliminate the bumper. Cut it off and cap the frame. Just thinking out loud here......

Sent from my EVO using Forest River Forums mobile app

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #12
Fulltime family RVer

Do bumpers on campers provide any impact protection whatsoever? Or are they purely for sewer hose storage?

Old 05-14-2014, 11:45 PM   #13
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Do bumpers on campers provide any impact protection whatsoever? Or are they purely for sewer hose storage?
Im thinking just storage and maybe a spare holder for some.
I've seen quite a few 5ers with rear fiberglass caps that had no bumper protruding out of the cap. You might want at least a c channel frame cap just to prevent a car getting shishcabobed on the frame rail if ran into, maybe. ?

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
Old 05-15-2014, 01:43 AM   #14
Site Team

Ok if your ready for tiny, how about this 19' scamp 5er.

Or This Nash.

Or this Kz

palomini

I can't swear to meeting your criteria but these are all below or very near your size and sleeping requirements.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #15
Fulltime family RVer

Thanks, anaro - they were all pretty good options. Only the scamp 5er was under my hard 20' limit. The Kz was 6" over and the others by 1-3 feet.

I like those layouts a lot. Each had its own positives and negatives.

I think the Scamp would be a lot of fun to own and use. I was just looking it up a bit- it almost sounds like they use an elevated gooseneck setup instead of fifth wheel.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
I think the Scamp would be a lot of fun to own and use. I was just looking it up a bit- it almost sounds like they use an elevated gooseneck setup instead of fifth wheel.
What I find interesting with the Scamps is that they're billed as being lightweight, yet that seems to be some pretty heavy wood used in the construction. Just imagine how light they could be if you crossed their small space organization with some stuff FR does to lighten loads in their ultralights.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #17

Quote:

I would say yes...I backed into a site just a little too far last year and bumped into a tree. No damage at all. I suspect had I not had the bumper I would have dented the siding.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #18

In the early 70's we had a truck camper that would sleep 6. 2 in the cab-over, 2 on the dinette, 1 on the couch and 1 in the cabinet above the dinette that would fold out into a bunk.
2013 F-150 4x4 EB
vstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

You can also put an overhead full size pull out over the main bed. We had a 1976 Golden Nugget 20' that had a hide a bed couch (full size) and an overhead bunk that 1/2 was solid mounted and 1/2 slid out on side rails. It was mounted the full width of the camper in the front. Dinette folded down for another full size bed. It slept 6 adults very comfortably. Had a rear bath with tub/shower.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:08 PM   #20
Fulltime family RVer

Since we've hijacked another thread- I'm bringing dustman_stx's comments here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
You know, now that I look that over, I think you're on to something here!!! I think you'd have to change from a Murphy bed to a tri-fold or similar, though. The Murphy bed sits behind the couch, and the couch therefore couldn't sit all the way back against the wall. BUT, I can't imagine someone can't design a couch that would turn into a bed that is comfortable utilizing maybe a 6" memory foam mattress. Maybe even a futon with a really great memory foam cushion??? You could have overhead cabinets over the sink area and possibly some space over the entertainment center. Give an option for the bunk over the table or overhead cabinets. Also, have an option for either 2 or 3 bunks in the rear. The bottom/floor bunk could be optioned as a large slideout drawer on ball bearings for the 1/3 or so toward the middle of the camper with a large exterior storage door on the rear or side to access the rest. The lower portion of the linen closet would likely have to house the inverter toward the inside and the water heater on the outside, so it might have to be widened slightly to accommodate those. The heater could be in the lower portion of the large rear wardrobe utilizing floor ducting. Also include outside storage doors behind the dinette and on each side at the front like the Rockwood. I think that about has it worked out. Who do we contact to get production started???
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Oh yeah. And install axles and tires that give you an additional 1K capacity OVER GVWR- and maybe the tires could even have a name of a real company on them, like Goodyear or Maxxis!!!!

Tags
camper