Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #1

Angry Desperate - Can Not Get Warranty Service for New Trailer

I will keep this short but bought a new 2017 Mini Lite Trailer from Trailer Hitch RV in Nipomo California. The model I wanted was not available in San Diego where I live so had to go long distance to make the purchase.

I have a defective paint issue that was documented with photos before I took possession. The salesman assured me he would file a warranty claim and help me get the issue resolved with Forrest River and a local authorized service center in San Diego.

I just tried the air conditioner for the first time and it is inoperative.

I cannot get the selling dealer to help me despite many phone calls and emails.
I tried calling and emailing Forrest River directly, NO response.

I just left a voice mail at Forrest River's corporate office. No return call.

Yesterday I visited a local Forrest River Dealer in San Diego, RV Solutions to try and obtain warranty service. They told me the soonest they could get me in is JULY!!!

I am 61 years old and have never had such awful customer service for a major purchase on my life.

Does anyone know of someone at Forrest River who will actually answer the phone or respond to an email?

The selling salesman says they filed a warranty claim months ago, but when asked to see details or proof from him I get no response.

I feel like I have been swindled and am now going to look a legal action if necessary, check out the lemon laws here in California, etc.

I also want to file a formal complaint regarding the dealer and Forrest River.

Can anyone help?

I tried calling Coach Net, they gave me a number to call at Forrest River but it just kept ringing.

Dan
Danmac1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:41 PM   #2

Sorry to hear of your problems. Your dealer is not stepping up to the plate. Don't blame FR for what the dealer failed to do, if FR doesn't know the problem there is not going to be resolution. I'll bet the dealer has not contacted FR. Go here and click on the appropriate dropdown for a contact. Each division has their own phone number and contact person.
Forest River RV Contact Us - Forest River, Inc.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #3

No Warranty Support

Thanks, I did send two emails and left two voice mails for the contact listed for Rockwood Mini Lite - Chuck Pederson. NEVER got a response from him either.

I am really disgusted with BOTH the dealer and Forrest River's contact who never responded. In fairness to Chuck Pederson will give him another go, thinking he may have been on vacation or something.

I am going to phone, fax, and email Chick Pederson at Forrest River and follow up with a letter to them, certified.

This is the type of thing that destroys future sales via bad word of mouth and is so expensive for both the dealer and the manufacturer, and so needless.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #4

Sorry to read about these issues ! Do remember, it is Saturday so you most likely will get no response from any FR corporate office / employee, until normal business hours!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
What have you tried to get A/C to work?
See if we can get some input....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #6

If I was 61 again........lol

Lemon laws don't apply to Non motorized V's not even in Kalifornia.

Welcome to quality of FR products...
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #7

Sorry to hear of your problems. For others reading this--- don't hand over your hard earned funds until the PDI is complete and all problems have been fixed. In the RV industry it appears that promises are just pipe dreams.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:33 PM   #8

You might also try this phone number, it is Forest River Customer Service.
574-534-3167. The AC is most likely Dometic and that can be resolved at a Dometic service center, there should be a contact number in your AC manual for that. Not to nit pick but there is only one R in Forest. I would put the blame for 90% of your problems on the dealer not handling the issues properly and they may be blowing smoke. I'll bet you have never seen that on any forum, LOL.
KT4W
Old 04-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #9
Director, FROG

DanMac1776, I just sent you a private message.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #10

File a formal complaint with the attorney general for your state. Even know there is no lemon laws you are protected by law as a consumer buying a product from a business. Your attorney general will contact this dealer, and they are required by law to respond.

2017 FR Wildwood 201BHXL
2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch Ecoboost
zorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #11
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
The minute you do that, you'll get nowhere.....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:26 PM   #12

Thanks FROG Bob for stepping in. I didn't know how much you monitored the forum but apparently quite a bit. I hate to see FR get blamed so many times for issues that a dealer screws up. And your are correct Bob C. the moment you mention legal action conversations suddenly halt.
KT4W
Old 04-09-2017, 01:05 AM   #13

I am giving FR a chance, again tried contacting them but it was in December and my emails and voice mails could have been missed.

Legal action would be a course of last resort and can not believe it would come to that.

As further background the paint issue is on the diamond plate lower half of the trailer front, about a 5" square area where it looks like masking paper could have come off, definitely not shipping damage, and right below the Quality Control sticker.

I also pleaded with the dealer prior to my trip to pick it up to make sure it had a proper dealer prep and inspection since I was coming from so far away.

I bought a new FR Rpod in 2014, took it out for my first night of camping and had no hot water. I found out the trailer hot water heater had the bypass valves in the winterize position.

I corrected the problem myself but spent a weekend with cold showers. I told the new salesman that same story and guess what, the exact same thing happened to me with this trailer, NO HOT water my first night out.

So they too never checked everything out. A monkey hired off of Craig's list could have done better.

I also found a bag with the towel bar, paper towel holder, and toilet tissue holder none of which were installed. The water filter cartridge was also not installed and nothing said to me. It seems to me this all should have been taken care of by the dealer.

The air conditioner has two controls on it, the fan / cool knob, and the temperature control. It blows air but cycles on just for a few seconds to cool, then cycles off right away, will not cool,the trailer at all. The brand is a Airexcell 4800 series.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:45 AM   #14

It is not uncommon to find water heater valves in bypass but should of been explained in pdi. Most units are shipped winterized but dealer should of tested entire water system prior to delivery. Towel bars, soap dishes, etc. Are left to be mounted by consumer as everyone likes them in different places but dealer could of asked if you wanted them mounted. And I believe it's pretty common to supply you with a filter cartridge but it is to be installed by consumer. All of the above should have been explained in the pdi by your dealer. As for the A/C the dealer should of run it during prep to ensure it cycled and operated properly. Do we see a common problem here.... Go ahead say it we all know..... DEALER.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:53 AM   #15

In the event you decide to contact the California State Attorney General, Office of Consumer Affairs here is a link to that site:

https://oag.ca.gov/contact/consumer-...ess-or-company

I have never had to use my state Attorney General's Office for my RV but I have used them for other problems with other businesses and the response I got to filing the complaint was excellent. NO business in any state wants the state AG on their butt!

It is OBVIOUS that the selling dealer looks at you as an out-of-town buyer with little if any chance of a repeat sale so he does not care. He has his money is his attitude. Let the AG prove him WRONG!

Good Luck!
Old 04-09-2017, 06:07 AM   #16

Why is FR blameless in this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
Thanks FROG Bob for stepping in. I didn't know how much you monitored the forum but apparently quite a bit. I hate to see FR get blamed so many times for issues that a dealer screws up. And your are correct Bob C. the moment you mention legal action conversations suddenly halt.
I hate to see dealers constantly get bashed for being swamped with poor quality trailers and motorhomes from the factory. If there was any semblance of real quality control on the factory floor, many of these issues would be resolved prior to delivery. Then the unsuspecting consumer/customer would rarely have to fight to get anything fixed. Given that the reimbursement from the manufacturer often does not cover the cost of repair, I understand why the dealers (especially the non- selling dealer) have little to no interest in doing warranty work.

I'm sure the buyers that are helped by FROG Bob and others with some pull are appreciative. I know I would be. What I have an issue with is why FROG Bob has to get involved at all? We are all customers of FR and their authorized dealers around the country. That, in and of itself, should be enough.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
I hate to see dealers constantly get bashed for being swamped with poor quality trailers and motorhomes from the factory. If there was any semblance of real quality control on the factory floor, many of these issues would be resolved prior to delivery. Then the unsuspecting consumer/customer would rarely have to fight to get anything fixed. Given that the reimbursement from the manufacturer often does not cover the cost of repair, I understand why the dealers (especially the non- selling dealer) have little to no interest in doing warranty work.

I hate to see it too, but you stand by a product you sell is how the industry works. Yes its a manufacture defect, but the dealer is the liaison between the consumer and manufacturer. If you buy a washer and its broken, you call the place you bought it from. Contacting the AG seems to be no harm, because as the OP stated he is getting no communication back now. Once the AG contacts the dealer, the ball will roll very quickly for the OP because the dealer will want the case closed ASAP and they will not close the case until they feel the consumer gets a fair product. The dealer will have to show proof if the buyer disagrees.

2017 FR Wildwood 201BHXL
2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch Ecoboost
zorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #18

If it is your AC contact the warrente dept of that appliance manufacture. If it's a Domatic they will give you names of authorized service centers and a few are independents. Good luck
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #19

I guess I don't understand the issue. The local dealer said that they would take care of it but you just have to wait till July. I know waiting so long sucks but based on what you are saying it is going to be taken care of.
atcbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #20

While our Vengeance is at the dealer for its long winter nap, Forest River has approved a long list of mostly nitpickie warranty items for the dealer to fix. While I would LOVE for the rv industry to gain some quality control and pride, we've had no problems getting our items resolved. Point being, Forest River and oir dealer have stepped up to the plate for us.

Tags
service, trailer, warranty