Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2017, 04:52 PM   #1

Determining when to trade in?

I have a 2011 26RLSS and it serves our purpose perfectly however I am concerned with it's age.

A little background...we bought the camper used from our dealer for a good price because it was a trade in due to hail damage. The outside "minor" denting on the door side and the front. The roof has no damage. The inside is in good shape just a little dated. All mechanical work perfectly. The outside is still in OK shape but it is a 2011.

My question is really how do you determine the best time to trade in or sell the old for a new? I don't really have a reason to sell other that as time goes by the value continues to drop.

Also what is the best option for getting the most money from the sale (dealer, craigslist, ebay)?

Bianchina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #2

I have had the camper two years and already thinking about trading camper.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #3

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I am thinking November, not a whole lot of selling going on and they should have good sales but I seen really good sales this summer for some of the big fifth whl toy haulers, something I am going to keep track of in the next 3 years before we retire.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:13 PM   #4

You would probably be better off selling it yourself
If you trade it the stealer will make the money. As far as being a 2011 that is really not old, plus you have all the problems worked out, updating is really not that hard to do, and if that's the only reason then I say update. I use to trade trailers in when my propane was used up, did it 3 x's, not no more, l like my current layout and the trailer is in good shape, now just looking to do some upgrades and changes. Just replaced the carpet, and things like that. I have learned, took a lot of money and frustration to get to this point. But we like this one. Maybe that's the key.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:20 PM   #5

Selling can be directly related to when you are going to buy another

Selling can be directly related to when you are going to buy another. I think there are different times of the year to sell for either a Travel Trailer, Fifth Wheel or a Motorhome.

My story is about selling a TT. I sold a 2015 that I bought in January of 2015, This July 2017. I posted it on Craigslist and had many contacts within two hours. I sold it to my first contact for what I was asking.

It came down to the fact that I wanted to buy a 5er and needed to not owe the bank when I bought it. I found what I wanted at a good price and played the hope game where I could get my ducks in a row before what I wanted was gone.

This happened in June during some hot weather. I decided to wait until the July 4th weekend for some soul that had enough of a tent in those conditions. It worked for me.

I hope your dreams go as well...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have had the camper two years and already thinking about trading camper.

Not to be too nosy but how do you manage to do the financially? Even paying cash would result in huge losses every time you trade. If I bought a camper for say $50k, even if I bought another new one at $50k I would be out the depreciation over the first two years. That has to be 25% ($12.5k) but at least $10k. That is an expensive two years of camping.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
You would probably be better off selling it yourself
If you trade it the stealer will make the money. As far as being a 2011 that is really not old, plus you have all the problems worked out, updating is really not that hard to do, and if that's the only reason then I say update. I use to trade trailers in when my propane was used up, did it 3 x's, not no more, l like my current layout and the trailer is in good shape, now just looking to do some upgrades and changes. Just replaced the carpet, and things like that. I have learned, took a lot of money and frustration to get to this point. But we like this one. Maybe that's the key.

Same here, we like our current camper and have spent right much on upgrades. DW likes the camper we have, nothing wrong with it
Old 09-23-2017, 05:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Selling can be directly related to when you are going to buy another. I think there are different times of the year to sell for either a Travel Trailer, Fifth Wheel or a Motorhome.

My story is about selling a TT. I sold a 2015 that I bought in January of 2015, This July 2017. I posted it on Craigslist and had many contacts within two hours. I sold it to my first contact for what I was asking.

It came down to the fact that I wanted to buy a 5er and needed to not owe the bank when I bought it. I found what I wanted at a good price and played the hope game where I could get my ducks in a row before what I wanted was gone.

This happened in June during some hot weather. I decided to wait until the July 4th weekend for some soul that had enough of a tent in those conditions. It worked for me.

I hope your dreams go as well...
Again not to be nosy but how did it work out financially? I am asking these questions because I am a buy and drive it till it dies guy so I have never really traded in cars and definitely not campers.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:35 PM   #9

I don't think there is good timing, only bad timing.
When we're ready for change we figure out what we need to get for our old one and what we're willing to pay for the new one. We have these numbers ready when we start the talk and the dealer needs to see the potential trade in before the negotiations. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't but if you'd be happy with "last years model" that would give you a lot of leverage. The market for weekender rv's is hotter in early spring where the timing for snowbird units could be better in the summer or early fall but there is no guarantee - ever, go find out what's out there and see where it takes you.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchina3 View Post
Again not to be nosy but how did it work out financially? I am asking these questions because I am a buy and drive it till it dies guy so I have never really traded in cars and definitely not campers.
Financially, I owe more money than I did when I started but I do not owe anything for my first lesson. Now that this is in my blood, this thing will be paid off fast as I look forward to my next unit. Mind you that this is all tempered by the fact that I have a job... Everyone that has one knows to prepare for the worst. I do and that is foremost in my designs...

I made a gamble that worked for me. I drove far from home to get the rig that met my requirements and price point. I figured that the savings would still cover me on the if-come of having to deal with local hostile repair prices.

Being able to do a few things yourself and the resources here on the forum did lend a comfort factor. I have investigated the independent/mobile service providers here locally and I feel Ok about the in and out of warranty work. For these reasons, I recently drove far away to get my new 5er.

Good luck with your choices.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #11

No job, retired. Just not saving any money now. I really want to trade but I'll wait until after the Alaska trip next year
Old 09-23-2017, 06:49 PM   #12
DW's 401(k) Plan

Every situation is going to be different...
We bought a new 2008 Roo 23SS in March of '08. The a/c went out in the summer of '13 and I had it replaced by a dealer 70 miles or so from me. We saw a TT we liked at the same dealership after DW said it was time to get rid of the Roo - she was too short to put the ends up herself if I became ill. Tried to deal at the dealership but we weren't able to get what we wanted for the Roo. Listed on Craigslist and sold it within 2 weeks to the first lookers. AND got about $1500 more than I wanted to get from the dealer. Went back to the dealer and purchased a Flagstaff 27BESS, same one we looked at before, for a LOWER price than the original asking price. Why? The salesman we dealt with initially was at the Hersey RV Show. Guy I dealt with wasn't working on commission, so he discounted the TT even more.
Fast forward to April 2016... Figured a MH was more for us. DW is one heck of a negotiator! She gave me all the right reasons we need to go that route. Went back to our dealer and started haggling - once again I got more for the TT than I was asking if I would buy the MH before the end of the month. Seems the interest rate on large ticket items are a burden for some dealers.

So, I've sold one on Craigslist and traded one to a dealer. All depends on what you can do and if all the stars align. There's no one definitive approach when to buy, trade or sell outright and when to do it.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:11 PM   #13
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Financially, I owe more money than I did when I started but I do not owe anything for my first lesson. Now that this is in my blood, this thing will be paid off fast as I look forward to my next unit. Mind you that this is all tempered by the fact that I have a job... Everyone that has one knows to prepare for the worst. I do and that is foremost in my designs...

I made a gamble that worked for me. I drove far from home to get the rig that met my requirements and price point. I figured that the savings would still cover me on the if-come of having to deal with local hostile repair prices.

Being able to do a few things yourself and the resources here on the forum did lend a comfort factor. I have investigated the independent/mobile service providers here locally and I feel Ok about the in and out of warranty work. For these reasons, I recently drove far away to get my new 5er.

Good luck with your choices.
Well now that your in the hole good luck on buying again soon even if you are working , It will be never ending and yep your young but eventually you will need to stop and figure it out and the picture is not always bright. Just saying. I was young once learned a good lesson. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #14

I got underwater on my last camper but now that my truck and car will be paid off soon maybe we can double up on the payments
Old 09-24-2017, 07:09 AM   #15

Our 2011 295bhk is perfect for us for now. Yes, I get envy now and then, but looking at our trailer it's perfect for our needs. Once the grandkids decide to quit coming with us it will be time to decide if we need a smaller trailer. I'm leaning towards turning the bunkhouse into a living room. It's oaid for and working perfectly so why switch? The human struggle.....want vs need!
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:47 AM   #16

Mine is DW verses me, now if DW should visit someplace a little far off there would be a new camper in the yard when she got back
Old 09-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #17

Quote:
I have a 2011 26RLSS and it serves our purpose perfectly however I am concerned with it's age.

A little background...we bought the camper used from our dealer for a good price because it was a trade in due to hail damage. The outside "minor" denting on the door side and the front. The roof has no damage. The inside is in good shape just a little dated. All mechanical work perfectly. The outside is still in OK shape but it is a 2011.

My question is really how do you determine the best time to trade in or sell the old for a new? I don't really have a reason to sell other that as time goes by the value continues to drop.

Also what is the best option for getting the most money from the sale (dealer, craigslist, ebay)?
If you REALLY want to see a price drop look at a 1 year old camper and see how much it has lost in a single year. After they get 6=7 years old the loss per year is significantly less.

Ours is a 2012 model and it works PERFECTLY, we have NO plans or intention on trading it until we can no longer maintain it economically
Old 09-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #18
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I do like the "Stars aligned" thingy. We looked and looked (3-4 years). Stopped in to shop at a combined retail supplies and RV sales. The sales person quoted a price, I asked to see the next model up and while looking at it I asked him to put the price he said on the brochure. Long story short and I think he is still there, we bought our new one for $12,000.00 less than I could find it anywhere on the internet. Yea, we took $3,500 loss on our trade but made it good on the new.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

To get the most for your trailer sell it on craigslist or rvtrader.com but make sure you deal locally and in person only. Do all transactions at the bank. No PayPal! We sold our 2011 TT in June 2014. It was on craigslist for a couple months and had several lookers but eventually we sold it for only $3k less than we paid and about $3k more than the best dealer trade offer. We sold it for more than was owed so the difference was our down payment on the fiver. You have to be patient. We have Bern trying to sell the fiver but due to weight and price tag, we need to wait for a special buyer. Maybe a snowbirder this fall will take it. Maybe not. If it doesn't sell, no big deal. We will re-list in the spring. We worked the kinks out so selling isn't a must for us. We are more concerned with making sure we don't get into a hole by accepting too low of an offer on our current unit.

Point us, sell when it feels right and you get a good price for your current unit. Don't go upside down if you can avoid it. If you are happy with your unit and there is nothing wrong, why sell? Use the money saved to update or go on more camping trips.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:32 PM   #20

Quote:

If you are happy with what you have >>>WHY TRADE????
If you trade...It is not what you get for your unit.....it is your cost to drive the new rig off the dealer's lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote