Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2020, 07:55 AM   #1

Diabetes While RVing

Hi everyone,
The DW has been diagnosedwith Type II diabites and have to change her diet which in it self is a challage. We would appreciate any tips or ideas for meals we can fix and for eating out.

thanks in advance!
Ar-Newbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:58 AM   #2

Grilling is PERFECT for Diabetes management.

Any type of meat fixed on the grill and some fresh veggies, also done on the grill (skip the starchy ones like potatoes and corn) is perfect for a low-carb diet. That is what she needs to follow.

There are GOBS of websites specifically for low-carb diets and if you follow it, both of you will lose a bit of weight and it will keep her blood sugar low and steady.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:24 AM   #3

Thank you, griling is a good idea. We will be going to Gulf State Park in April. may be I can find some seafood recipes to grill. Any tips for eating out or maybe snacks to eat on the way. The DW is not big on veggie snacks.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #4
RV There Yet?

a smart phone with the My Fitness Pal app on it for looking up calories at any place you will eat or the book below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1930448759#customerReviews

for snacks, meat and cheese is a favorite go to for a lot of people. also, you may or may not need to have glucose tabs or some candy handy in case her numbers start to crash.

the best thing that you can do for her is to pretty much follow the same diet. first, its very healthy, second, she is going to want and need your support. if you are eating something different every meal, making choices she cant have, its very difficult for her to get used to the new lifestyle and diet.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:42 AM   #5

Just stop eating carbs. It's really not that hard. She can cheat once in a while but it is best not to. No bread, potatoes, rice etc. There is a new product out called Folios Cheese wraps. Make roll ups with lattice ham, turkey roast beef. Bag of baby carrots make good snacks. Nuts are good. Fruits the end in "Berry" I keep blue Berries in the freezer. Califlower, rice and mash potatoes is all the rage. I like it.

It's called a life style change and if will make it easier on her if you do it too!!! You both will loose weight.

forget counting calories. You have to eat!. Just concentrate of the carbs. The main point is reducing the suger content not loosing weight. That is secondary. Carbs make sugar. Mich ultra is low carb beer
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:06 AM   #6

Diabetes management while RVing is no different than when you are at home. Limit the carb intake, monitor the Blood Glucose levels, and adjust diet and exercise as needed to keep the levels in the range your DR. Recommends. Restaurants are always a challenge because almost every meal they offer has 3 or 4 times as many carbs as are needed for a single meal. I use the low carb section of the menu when I can or just ask for things like bread to not be brought out or substituted. Many places now offer Keto friendly or Gluten free meals which are a good choice for lowering carb intake.

The other side of diabetes is the unexpected low sugar episode. ALWAYS keep glucose tablets and snacks such as granola bars near at hand, NEVER leave home without them, even if you are going for a 15 minute walk around the campground. Read the labels with the snacks, granola meal bars have a LOT more carbs than granola snack bars. I use about 15 grams of carbs for a snack when needed and it works for me.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:22 PM   #7

Depending on how bad things are there are a few ways to manage it. There are TONS of different drugs now to help where before there were not many options. Best thing I did was see an endocrinologist. They handle things way better than most primary care docs because it's what they do every day. You don't see a GP for a sports injury why not see the right dr.

I would suggest a lifestyle change either way. You don't have to go NO carb but you should cut back. Step 1 is sign up for the free nutrition class. They will walk you through all the various options and how to count your carb choices and reading food labels.

Grilling is a great idea. Atkins and southbeach diets are what you are targeting.

There are lots of options and substitutions as well. A few examples, butternut squash cubed vs French fries. Even carrots with the right seasoning and an air fryer or oven has been acceptable to my family. Mash potato substituted with coliflour...you will need to dr this one up but it works. Spaghetti squash...etc.

If you have a blackstone you are ready. Lots of stir fry like meals (careful with the sauces) peppers onions garlic for flavor and meat. Get used to chopping or buy prechopped and you can have a delicious meal. All around the outside of the grocery store. Stay away from the middle and the freezer section.

Eating out sucks. Sadly options are much more limited. Stay away from fries and other big starches. Veggies or cottage cheese for sides is best. Main meals should be protein focused. I would suggest saving most of your carb choices for these.

Best fast food option is KFC grilled chicken with green beans and water...

Use the meter and learn what spikes your sugar. Test 4 times a day before meals 2 times a week until you get a feel for what makes the biggest difference in your diet. Exercise will make a very large difference as well. Target to get off the meds if you can and use them until you can change your lifestyle if you can.

Best of luck. It's not as bad as you may think. Baby steps and not all at once makes it easier.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:31 PM   #8

I find that controlling my diabetes is actually easier when we RV as we consume more proteins and veggies than at home.

Breakfast: Eggs (omelettes, scrambled, poached, etc); breakfast ham, bacon, sausage (not the link type that has maple syrup and stuff in it). You can even do keto waffles and pancakes

Lunch: Salads, deli meats, egg salad, tuna, cheeses

Dinners: Hot dogs (no buns), burgers wrapped in lettuce, seafood, steaks, chicken, pork chops, all sorts of veggies, etc

Desserts: Sugar free jello even with some fruit in it is my fav

If you splurge and eat SOME carbs, then go for a walk around the park afterwards. Enjoy the scenery.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:05 PM   #9

When traveling, I always carry packages of cheese & crackers, peanut butter & crackers, or small bags of peanuts. I keep them in the door pockets in case I start feeling "froggy" while driving. I also carry a tube of cake icing when traveling. It requires no refrigeration. Just a squirt or two under the tongue will do it (like the nitro pills for heart patients).

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #10
Adult Member

My husband is a diabetic due to Agent Orange. We carry instant glucose tubes, small o.j. bottles, mini candy bars and cheese crackers or peanut butter crackers always. We also have a emergency insulin kit. It did not state if she is on insulin but her doctor should tell her how many carbs per meal she needs.
Most fast food places have nutrition guides on line & so do many nationwide resturants, like Applebees. Also watch the sodium.

Good luck.
punkinpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:01 AM   #11

Thank you everyone. She doesn't take insulin but she is taking med for it and for a stint she had put in. I guess the hardest part is figuring when we are out and when we are hungry trying to figure out a place to eat.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:21 AM   #12

I seldom have a hard time finding a place where I can eat something. For example, if I stop at a fast food joint I could get a burger and skip the bun. Or get chicken tenders. Hog troughs like Golden Corral have salads, meats, etc and you can skip the carbs and sugary desserts. Shoot even with a pizza joint one of my favorite items is to get a garbage pizza and eat just the toppings.

Good to hear that for now she is just on pills like a Metformin and not insulin. Diabetes is about management....and it's not too bad to manage (at least for me). With time it'll become easier and more routine to manage and finding something and someplace to eat will be easier as well.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #13

A nutritionist is also a good resource. My health plan covered a couple of visits. When some breakfast and lunch suggestions worked for me, I decided to have the same meal every day. It’s good not to have to think about what to eat for these meals and it sure makes shopping easier. I never get bored but you can find a few different menus and mix them up if need be. Dinners are harder. But, once you find a few menus you like you can see if you can stick to them easily. If you stay away from the fast food joints, you will be better off and save $. Then, maybe you can use the money you save to treat yourself to some nicer restaurants. It doesn’t hurt to go on line or call ahead as many chefs are happy to prepare really good food for special needs folks. Many love to come out from the kitchen to see how you enjoyed your meal and that is the time to ask for the recipe!
Hope this helps!
Gracie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:21 PM   #14

Gracie26 has an excellent point about seeing the nutritionist. Make sure they are a diabetes educator.

There is a lot of information available through diabetic magazines, diabetic cookbooks, low carb cookbooks, Pinterest, etc. The biggest thing is finding other foods you can substitute for foods you usually enjoy. Spaghetti squash can be substituted for spaghetti or other pastas. Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, brush the flesh with olive oil, place flesh side, or cut side, down on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes. Once you see the skin start to brown, you will know it is done and the flavor with that carmelization is so good. You can serve it with spaghetti sauce or other sauces you like. Make it a Mexican meal with ground beef or cubed chicken, salsa, what other veggies you like, and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Use cauliflower and while it is still raw, "rice" it by using the small holes on your shredder. This can be cooked and used in place of rice. It is delicious and I do not miss the rice. When you eat out, look for the lower carb options and either split a meal or order smaller portions. Find out what her carb count should be for the day and allow her to make her choices within those guidelines. She can have everything in moderation and within that count. If you don't feel deprived, you will be happier with your food choices and your diet plan.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:21 AM   #15

we eat a Keto menu not a diet just the way we eat ... government food pyramid is wrong .... if you don't believe me just look at the epidemic rate of diabetes and obesity ... good information here https://www.dietdoctor.com/ ... 1000's of people have eliminated any sign of diabetes or need for medication ...
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:04 AM   #16

As a Type II on insulin, I limit myself to 20-30 grams of carbs a day. Yes yes, I know, the American diabetic association blah blah blah....diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism dysfunction. Every carb you eat has to be accounted for. Eat less, less difficulty to manage. Breakfast: Low carb wrap with a couple of sausage patties and slice of cheese, or a couple of eggs, or a low carb wrap with a tablespoon or two of almond butter. Lunch: low carb wrap, meat, pickles, olives, cheese, radishes, etc. Dinner protein a green salad and some low carb veggies. As for eating out...Diner like place, protein, no carbs sides, extra green's, big salad. Five guys, burger in a bowl, add-on's, diet drink. BBQ joint, fried naked chicken wings, chopped salad with goat cheese, maybe a helping of calamari. Mex place: fajita's, bring my own wraps. Drinks: No wine or beer, all the booze I want - no carbs. PM if you want more details. At a party I will bring pork skins to dip in chip dip.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakfishingfool View Post
As a Type II on insulin, I limit myself to 20-30 grams of carbs a day. Yes yes, I know, the American diabetic association blah blah blah....diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism dysfunction. Every carb you eat has to be accounted for. Eat less, less difficulty to manage. Breakfast: Low carb wrap with a couple of sausage patties and slice of cheese, or a couple of eggs, or a low carb wrap with a tablespoon or two of almond butter. Lunch: low carb wrap, meat, pickles, olives, cheese, radishes, etc. Dinner protein a green salad and some low carb veggies. As for eating out...Diner like place, protein, no carbs sides, extra green's, big salad. Five guys, burger in a bowl, add-on's, diet drink. BBQ joint, fried naked chicken wings, chopped salad with goat cheese, maybe a helping of calamari. Mex place: fajita's, bring my own wraps. Drinks: No wine or beer, all the booze I want - no carbs. PM if you want more details. At a party I will bring pork skins to dip in chip dip.
Excellent post .... Thanks
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:59 AM   #18
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Just stop eating carbs. It's really not that hard. She can cheat once in a while but it is best not to. No bread, potatoes, rice etc. There is a new product out called Folios Cheese wraps. Make roll ups with lattice ham, turkey roast beef. Bag of baby carrots make good snacks. Nuts are good. Fruits the end in "Berry" I keep blue Berries in the freezer. Califlower, rice and mash potatoes is all the rage. I like it.

It's called a life style change and if will make it easier on her if you do it too!!! You both will loose weight.

forget counting calories. You have to eat!. Just concentrate of the carbs. The main point is reducing the suger content not loosing weight. That is secondary. Carbs make sugar. Mich ultra is low carb beer
Yes! I have been Pre-Diabetic for several years and want to be "Pre" as long as I can.

Cavie is right, DW and I cut out bread, pasta, potatoes, corn, and other high carb foods. There are also many low carb cook books with use sugar alcohols and almond flower for tasty deserts. We eat great and still have everything under control.

Many fast food places will serve "protein style" burgers wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun, just ask for it.

There are also protein drinks like muscle milk lite, sugar free chocolates at Sees, and so many other options than that bag of potato chips.

It is a life style change, and there are low carb beers!

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:32 PM   #19

This is a fabulous recipe for pizza dough with little/no carbs, that can be cooked on a grill or a griddle or in a conventional oven.

If you just google "low carb meals". you will get thousands of hits. Some are good, some, not so good. It is fun to try them out.

Zoodles (zucchini noodles) are great for spaghetti.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes...free-nut-free/
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:02 PM   #20
Gold Tee Box

The low carb wraps as others have mentioned are a great replacement for bread. When traveling, I will make several wraps with egg, sausage, cheese, etc. and then just heat them up in the micro.

I also will make wraps with cold cuts, cheese, lettuce, mayo, etc and keep them in the fridge for a great lunch with a few sides.

Another use of the wraps is to make thin crust pizza. Heat them up in a skillet, put on the tomato paste, pepperoni, sausage, cheese, peppers, onion, and parmesian, then back in the oven for a few minutes and you have a crispy low carb pizza!

Stay healthy and safe travels!

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote