Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2018, 04:24 PM   #21

"The majority of the workers in the plant are Amish and between the ages of 17-25 and they work their butts off."

Sounds like a great tour, but the above observations would make me wonder about quality, building experience and worker satisfaction.

With a crew that stays that young, it might indicate inexperience, low wages, lack of long term job satisfaction, and a high turnover rate.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
The model of rockwoods I was looking at had torsion axles and the flagstaffs I looked at had springs at the time only difference I noted however I don't know about now?
I looked at both Rockwoods and Flagstaff when we were shopping, back in 2006.
Both brands had torsion axles, not leaf springs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
"The majority of the workers in the plant are Amish and between the ages of 17-25 and they work their butts off."

Sounds like a great tour, but the above observations would make me wonder about quality, building experience and worker satisfaction.

With a crew that stays that young, it might indicate inexperience, low wages, lack of long term job satisfaction, and a high turnover rate.
From information I have gathered online they say the northern Indiana area has the 3rd largest Amish settlement in the US and 53% of them work in the RV industry. Seriously with how they hustle even back in my days when I was in good shape, August 3rd-5th 1984 lol, I wouldn't have been able to keep up.
I also believe that the Amish teenagers are unlike many of our teens nowadays. They were brought up working on farms from a very young age. Most of them only attend school until the 8th grade and from the age of around 14 work full time either on farms or woodworking. So the 17-25 years old have a lot more hard working experience under their belt than our culture.
As for pay (again internet information), the average wages are $4000 monthly. The older Amish are still working farms, woodworking or other businesses in the area that is not as physically demanding...not that farming isn't but it is not as fast paced as the RV industry assembly line is.
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:36 AM   #24

Rockwood and Flagstaff have BOTH used Torsion Axles for a LONG time! The Amish children are "Taught & Shown" how to Work,the Barn building crews can erect a complete Barn and NOT say very many Words! In regards to difference between "Flagstaff and Rockwood" is "Decals and Dealers" plus "Colors and Cloth"! The thing I like best about Amish workers is they DON"T have Blaring Noise/Rap boom boxes at there Work Sites! Youroo!!
Old 04-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #25

Did I mention they gave us 3 free hats....🤠
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26884.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	167577  
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, rockwood