Old 09-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #21
The same as everyone else- fantastically done. May you be blessed in return.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #22
Thank you for the feel good story of the day! You are a class act!

Steve and Brandi & our "Pit" crew Bella

sunnygirl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
Campin' in Canada
Well done!

If anything, reading your story has made me think that I shouldn't always be so shy to talk to others at a campsite, great feelings come from great deeds! Thanks!
2011 Wildwood 37bhss2q
Permanently Parked
Just me & the DW
ParkManCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #24
"Its nice to be nice to the nice" Frank Burns M*A*S*H
Matt & Kathie
2017 Grey Wolf 27RR
rotorhead1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #25
It's nice to know there are still some good people out there, willing to help their neighbor. They are few and far between these days. You get a gold star.

Don and Laura + Critters, Eloise and Cooper
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
What a great heart warming story! Your good deed has had an effect on all of us, and we are all grateful, just from simple fact of hearing your story!
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 67
AquaMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #27
Along with the others here, I want to say that you made that couples day and they will always have a warm spot in their hearts for you.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #28
That's an awesome story! What a wonderful service you were able to provide and that couple will be telling that story of their hero everywhere.
chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #29
A Deed Well Done.
Frank- VA {:-{)
2004 4x4 Ford 6.0 PS, SCC, SB
2005 Wildcat 29 RLBS
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #30
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Ya know, sometimes doing a good deed can bring you more joy than the person you are doing the good deed for gets...

This weekend, we were staying in the campground at Hermann City Park in Hermann, MO. Next to us was a nice older (70's ish) couple in a newer huge Class A with like 97 slides on it. As is my custom, I always say hi to my neighbors if I see them out. The gentleman appears rather frazzled and in conversation states that he is having electrical problems. His microwave, TV, rear A/C and a kitchen outlet are all dead. I smile and tell him it's his lucky day, as I am an electrical engineer who never goes anywhere without his tools. I ask him if I could take a look, and he quickly says yes.

First off, I check his on-board breakers. All are good, but I notice right away that everything that is dead is on every other breaker. A sure sign that he lost a leg on his incoming. I grab my meter and go out and check the pole. The socket on the pole is good, with 230VAC hot-to-hot, 120VAC from each leg to neutral. I unplug his coach and ask him to fire up his generator. Sure enough, everything works. We shut down the gen-set and I pull the cover off his transfer switch. nothing looks amiss, so I plug him back into shore power and check voltages at terminal on the transfer switch, and one of the hot legs is dead as hell.

I go back and was gonna check the plug when I noticed that it was all taped up. He said he started driving off with the shore line still hooked up last year, and stretched it a little, but stopped before it broke. He taped it up and it worked since then. I told him the cord was definitely bad now. He was despairing over where to get a cord that late in Hermann, MO. when I pointed out that he had an extension cord set, and if he wanted me to, I could cut the female end off it and use it replace the bad cord. He goes in his camper and comes out with this multi-tool with a kinda serrated knife blade on it and says its the only thing he has that might cut the end off.

I tell him "not to worry, sir" and go and get my cordless sawzall out of my truck. I hack off the end, strip the wires, tin the wire ends with my butane soldering iron, and replace his cord in about 20 minutes. I plug him in and everything works. His sweet little wife gave me the biggest hug. The gentleman tried to press some money into my hands. It was a couple $100 bills. I say 'No way'. He tried 3 or 4 times to get me to take some money. I tell him that if I can't help out a fellow traveler in need, then what the hell good am I? His wife also tries to give my wife money. My wife refuses that as well. He says he HAS to do something for me. I tell him take that money and donate to a local animal shelter where he lives.

Later on in the evening. I'm sitting out with them when his wife says she needs to go lay down a bit. She goes in the camper, and he says that she has a health issue that makes heat really hard on her. That's why he was stressing over not having his rear A/C unit working. He got kinda misty eyed and in a faraway voice said that she been fighting, but he knows that they don't have all that many trips left. He was afraid that he was gonna have to pack up and head home, as he couldn't even find a hotel in Hermann that had a vacancy. I slept that night with the warm thought that if nothing else, I gave them one more good trip together than they would have had. I'm glad I didn't let him talk me into taking his money. That would have taken the shine right off the feeling I had knowing I did a good deed for the sake of just doing a good deed..

Over the course of the weekend, we bumped into them a couple of times at different winery's in Hermann. The wife always called me her hero. They did give us a rather nice meat/cheese/cracker assortment the next day, and that I accepted, as I am genetically prevented from turning down free food. All in all, seeing them out together enjoying themselves made my weekend so much better. And that was a bargain for just an hour of my life.

You are the person I want to be camped next to. Great job. I'm from the show-me-state of Mo. . and you showed what a good camper and person really does.

Sunnyfun is offline   Reply With Quote