Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
cogito ergo moo
Did my good deed for the week.

Ya know, sometimes doing a good deed can bring you more joy than the person you are doing the good deed for gets...

This weekend, we were staying in the campground at Hermann City Park in Hermann, MO. Next to us was a nice older (70's ish) couple in a newer huge Class A with like 97 slides on it. As is my custom, I always say hi to my neighbors if I see them out. The gentleman appears rather frazzled and in conversation states that he is having electrical problems. His microwave, TV, rear A/C and a kitchen outlet are all dead. I smile and tell him it's his lucky day, as I am an electrical engineer who never goes anywhere without his tools. I ask him if I could take a look, and he quickly says yes.

First off, I check his on-board breakers. All are good, but I notice right away that everything that is dead is on every other breaker. A sure sign that he lost a leg on his incoming. I grab my meter and go out and check the pole. The socket on the pole is good, with 230VAC hot-to-hot, 120VAC from each leg to neutral. I unplug his coach and ask him to fire up his generator. Sure enough, everything works. We shut down the gen-set and I pull the cover off his transfer switch. nothing looks amiss, so I plug him back into shore power and check voltages at terminal on the transfer switch, and one of the hot legs is dead as hell.

I go back and was gonna check the plug when I noticed that it was all taped up. He said he started driving off with the shore line still hooked up last year, and stretched it a little, but stopped before it broke. He taped it up and it worked since then. I told him the cord was definitely bad now. He was despairing over where to get a cord that late in Hermann, MO. when I pointed out that he had an extension cord set, and if he wanted me to, I could cut the female end off it and use it replace the bad cord. He goes in his camper and comes out with this multi-tool with a kinda serrated knife blade on it and says its the only thing he has that might cut the end off.

I tell him "not to worry, sir" and go and get my cordless sawzall out of my truck. I hack off the end, strip the wires, tin the wire ends with my butane soldering iron, and replace his cord in about 20 minutes. I plug him in and everything works. His sweet little wife gave me the biggest hug. The gentleman tried to press some money into my hands. It was a couple $100 bills. I say 'No way'. He tried 3 or 4 times to get me to take some money. I tell him that if I can't help out a fellow traveler in need, then what the hell good am I? His wife also tries to give my wife money. My wife refuses that as well. He says he HAS to do something for me. I tell him take that money and donate to a local animal shelter where he lives.

Later on in the evening. I'm sitting out with them when his wife says she needs to go lay down a bit. She goes in the camper, and he says that she has a health issue that makes heat really hard on her. That's why he was stressing over not having his rear A/C unit working. He got kinda misty eyed and in a faraway voice said that she been fighting, but he knows that they don't have all that many trips left. He was afraid that he was gonna have to pack up and head home, as he couldn't even find a hotel in Hermann that had a vacancy. I slept that night with the warm thought that if nothing else, I gave them one more good trip together than they would have had. I'm glad I didn't let him talk me into taking his money. That would have taken the shine right off the feeling I had knowing I did a good deed for the sake of just doing a good deed..

Over the course of the weekend, we bumped into them a couple of times at different winery's in Hermann. The wife always called me her hero. They did give us a rather nice meat/cheese/cracker assortment the next day, and that I accepted, as I am genetically prevented from turning down free food. All in all, seeing them out together enjoying themselves made my weekend so much better. And that was a bargain for just an hour of my life.

FROG Member MO-0008-571 Since 2012
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss (coming soon)
Nights camped 2016 -9
Nights Reserved 077121212125 ..........My Project Blog:

Cowracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Well done my friend !

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Graduate Member
Bravo, sir. Bravo.
--2009 Sunseeker 2860DS (Class C)
- one Hotwife, and two boys under 2(with one on the way!)
2013 - 53 days
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Resident Masshole
Great story, and nice work!
Tom F.
2013 GMC 2500HD SLT Crew Cab
2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
Magnificant . You are a rare breed.
Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for sharing, Tim!
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
Awesome! Too often we forget that there are other humans out there with us and sometimes its the right thing to lend a hand to another person in need.
2011 Coachmen Catalina 28DDS
2015 Ram Bighorn 2500 6.4L
Nights Camped 2015: 28
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
They will remember you forever. Good neighbors are worth a lot of money! Even for good reason some do not take real money. :-)
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Awesome story. Job well done!
Kevin & Janine
2006 Dodge 2500 Megacab CTD 2WD
2012 Palomino Sabre 32RCTS
Pullrite Superglide 16K Hitch
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
Awesome, it's refreshing to hear these type of stories.

2012 Crusader 320RLT
2011 F250 Lariat 6.7L
2016 (19 Nights Camped/1348 Miles)
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote