Old 10-10-2016, 07:37 PM   #21

Hopefully that is the end of your problems.
Not sure about the '04 but I had an '05 Coachmen Cross Country that I recently sold, besides the spin on filter that is easily accessible it had a second(primary) filter that was in-line, this filter was about 1 1/4" in diameter and approx. 6" long it was mounted on the passenger frame rail above the rear axle, most of the Freightliner dealers didn't even know that it existed until they pulled it up on there computer had to be a contortionist to get under there and change it.

2015 Harley CVO StreetGlide
Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDonna View Post
I've ordered a new fuel filter which is scheduled to be here tomorrow morning. In the meantime, thanks to a friends suggestion, I loosened up the filter slightly and had my wife turn on the key. Fuel flowed out of the opening where I'd loosened it. I then re-tightened the filter and started the engine. It purred just like it's supposed to. We left our gravel parking lot and drove down the road a couple miles to an RV park. Much nicer than the gravel parking lot. I have a feeling that there was air in the fuel line and now it's out due to what I did. I may not put on the new filter unless there is more problems, but at least I'll have it with me, which I should have had in the first place.

I'd like to thank everyone that replied and gave suggestions. Ps. There is no longer a check engine light or any scanguage codes. My wife, my dog, and I are smiling again. Stan
Terrific news.

Travel safe......

Old 10-28-2016, 07:15 PM   #23

Update on Diesel Engine Problem/Fixed

Hi All,
Want to update on the problem I had. The problem wasn't fixed with the new fuel filter. We ended up being towed to Color Country Diesel which was over 100 miles from Panguitch Utah to Cedar City Utah. I told them that I suspected it was possibly the fuel pump, but they said that the indication was that the Turbo was bad and they ordered a new one. When they took everything out to install the new Turbo, they found a cracked manifold, an EGR tube separation, and a hole in the exhaust pipe. When they put in the new Turbo, they also installed a new air filter. Then, after all that, the engine still ran the same and they said they couldn't believe that that didn't fix it. They, then put in a new fuel pump and the problem magically disappeared. Total bill was nearly $7,000. We almost have a new engine now. It was a pretty steep bill, but there was nothing I could do about it. The owner even took three days of labor off of the bill, which I was thankful for. After all of that, we drove home without any more problems. Stan
Old 10-31-2016, 11:50 AM   #24
Head Rambler

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what it was. Bummer that it was as much as it was, but maybe it'll be good for many years now.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:35 PM   #25

Hi Funhaus,
Prior to the expensive repairs, we had already changed the fuel/water separator filter and the hidden filter, called an in-line fuel strainer (it was clean and not clogged). A friend of mine checked it after reading about it on the Internet. We were hoping that that was what was causing the problem. It would have been a whole lot cheaper.
Stan
Old 10-31-2016, 12:50 PM   #26

With a hole in the exhaust pipe,egr tube separation,and cracked manifold,the trbocharger would NEVER make any boost.Turbochargers dong just "go bad". They are extreamly reliable and should run 200k miles as long as the air filter is serviced.Even then,most problems involve leaking cartridge seals or mounting o rings.I think you got slicked for a turbo.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:03 PM   #27

Hi trbomax,
I kind of feel the same way, but there is no way of proving it. When we have these motorhomes and something goes wrong and we end up sitting in a repair shop, we're basically at the repair shops mercy. The best remedy is to never end up in a repair shop like we did.
Stan

Tags
diesel