Old 11-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
phat phrog stunt crew

here is a link to state by state taxes on fuel. doesnt include federal or local taxes it doesnt look like, just state.

Gasoline tax information - Illinois Gas Prices

Old 11-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #12

Also they are now making the winter blend diesel fuel which has more additives and usually cost more this time of year. Around here diesel went up from $3.85 yesterday to $4.19 today glad I filled up yesterday!

Old 11-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
phat phrog stunt crew

diesel in my area in illinois runs from 3.75 to3.99 a gallon gas currently is 3.29 . across the river in mo, i can get diesel nearly .25 cents cheaper for driving 3 more miles. gas comes in at a similar savings.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #14

With the economy improving, there are more and more semi trucks on the road creating a greater demand for diesel.

During the GREAT Recession, as demand for goods slowed down, the price of diesel fell below gasoline because many trucks were being parked because no demand to haul freight. As demand for goods has improved, this begats more trucks.

If we could get the railroads to be more responsive with delivery of goods, we could reduce the number of trucks on the highways causing a reduction in the price of diesel.
And, o yes, railroad engines run on heavier bunker fuel.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiocamper View Post
Also they are now making the winter blend diesel fuel which has more additives and usually cost more this time of year. Around here diesel went up from $3.85 yesterday to $4.19 today glad I filled up yesterday!
IMHO this is the sole reason for the higher prices now at least in the north... in the south they're just screwing you
Old 11-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #16
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Macs View Post
With the economy improving, there are more and more semi trucks on the road creating a greater demand for diesel.

During the GREAT Recession, as demand for goods slowed down, the price of diesel fell below gasoline because many trucks were being parked because no demand to haul freight. As demand for goods has improved, this begats more trucks.

If we could get the railroads to be more responsive with delivery of goods, we could reduce the number of trucks on the highways causing a reduction in the price of diesel.
And, o yes, railroad engines run on heavier bunker fuel.
Trains run through MN suburbs were I am at with a HUGE increase in frequency vs. just a couple of years ago. Many and more intermodel trucks parked nose to nose on flat bed train cars. I also see train companies advertising on TV all the time. Long distance OTR trucking is inefficient as rail services can do it less expensivly.

The train thing is just starting to boom. Magically, light rail in Minnesota is taking off at the same time. A few miles from my work is a company called LORAM Maintenance of Way - Home These guys are growing and hiring over the last couple of years too.

Winter diesel blend hit MN about a month ago. 15 cent jump in price when that hit the pumps. I use GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada on my phone to find cheapest gas and diesel when it's time to fill up.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #17

As of 2012... Locomotive, marine and non-road diesel fuel engines (such as farm and construction equipment) will also need to use ULSD.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #18

Does off road diesel have a higher sulfer content ??
Old 11-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #19
cogito ergo moo

The reason diesel is higher is tight supply due to the fact that we now export more diesel fuel to Europe than we import.

U.S. Was Net Oil-Product Exporter for First Time Since 1949 - Bloomberg

Since the change to ULSD, our fuel is identical to that used in the EU. We send over 439,000 barrels of diesel a day. Some how, this fact has escaped the general public

Tim
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
Does off road diesel have a higher sulfer content ??
As of this year it's all ULSD

Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Page