Old 11-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
Diesel fuel prices

Can anyone tell me... a reason why diesel fuel should be .40-.50 cents per gallon more in price vs.reg un-leaded gasoline..when i bought my F250 last May ..prices were.. on average here in Michigan .05 cents apart ??

2014 Crusader 325 TE....2012.. F 250.. Supercab XLT, 4x2 , diesel....days camped 2011 ... 28.... days camped 2012...115 ... days camped 2013...155...2014...171 and counting
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
I have asked the same question, This is what I learned right or wrong. They say the price will stay up due to the high increase in the demand in Europe. Most or almost all cars in Europe are diesel now. They get extremely higher mileage then gas. Diesel use to be a lot cheaper then gas here and around the world but with the great increase in demand now you know what these Companies will do. Do I agree with this statement, partly !!!!!!

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Camper Less Camping
I hope one day we can get back to the days of Diesel always being cheaper than gas by a $1 or so but probably a pipe dream!
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Diesel fuel is an industrial fuel, which is often ordered far in advance, industries cannot cut back on usage as quickly, which kept diesel prices higher. In addition, growing industrial countries like China and India are putting increasing demand on diesel fuel, and in Europe a large percentage of personal vehicles also run on diesel, further straining supplies. So, while diesel prices have often been significantly lower than gasoline prices, shifts in supply and demand can actually cause either type of fuel to be priced higher than the other.
TV= 2012 F-150 FX4 Supercab
FW= 2011 270ret Crusader
Hitch= Reese Pro Series 16K Hitch
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
Oklahoma Proud
I think it is because the general public(who raises a little more of their voice) uses gas. While more comercial uses are using diesel- thus the thought that 'they can afford it'. Prices here around me in central OK have dipped to $3.64 for road diesel and $3.36 for offroad. But gas is right around $2.95-$3.15
MillerTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
I believe the use of ultra low sulfur fuel also makes our diesel fuel more expensive as well. Also, the fuel tax on diesel is six cents more per gallon, as far as I know.
Gizmo0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
The biggest problem is the fact that we do not have refinery capacity, there has not been a refinery built for decades because of all the environmental issues and the not in my back yard syndrome, here in Ontario diesel is cheaper than gas but gas is $4.67 for a US gallon right now and diesel is $4.44 US gallon.
It could just be that the oil companies like the banks have found that they can charge whatever they want and no one will dare to stop them.
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Trailer Trash
Anybody notice how fuel prices shot up over 30 cents a gallon the day after the election. And they keep telling up how big brother doesn't control prices. What a crock of ____. Actually what I'm suprised about is no stories of people needing locking gas caps. Back in the 70's people magically lost a tank of gas overnite. Things aren't that bad, yet.

Story I hear about diesel being higher than gasoline's a commercial fuel so it has higher taxes.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
All the cars I have had over the last 20 years have had locking fuel doors that can only be opened from the inside .

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Originally Posted by Gizmo0706
I believe the use of ultra low sulfur fuel also makes our diesel fuel more expensive as well. Also, the fuel tax on diesel is six cents more per gallon, as far as I know.
The diesel fuel having to be low sulfer is part of it because before diesel did not need to be refined and now it does it cost money to make it low sulfer and so some of the price being higher is for that reason.

2012 Sandstorm 203slc
2013 Toyota Tundra
Eqil-l-izer hitch,Prodigy P3
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote