Old 03-04-2015, 04:27 PM   #1

Difference in FR Divisions

If you were buying a small (under 29') TT, and you were ONLY interested in structure, the unit envelope, and insulation, does the Coachmen have any real advantage over the FR Division products? If not, what units do have the best box? Does a Toy Hauler confer any advantages, like say, getting a Nitro instead of a TT?

THANKS, trying to get a better idea of the pecking order, and it's HARD!

Old 03-04-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The units MSRP for the same floorplan between FR divisions can be used as a ranking system. The higher the MSRP, usually more features/equipment though the construction may be similar or identical. A careful read of the standard features will help.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #3

That's a no answer question There are so many lines & just as many opinions as the which line is best. When it comes to a TT over a TH it is more what your needs are, if you need to bring a golf cart, 4 wheeler or other toys then a Toyhauler. If it has a separate garage the it becomes a nice extra room as well. But a bunkhouse or standard style might fit your needs better.

As far as makes again you just have to decide which size, floor plan & features best fit your needs whether a TT, TH or FW. We like Pumas (lower end pricing) but they are built more old school & are heavier. Coachman's are good too. The best "boxes" are usually alum frame but tend to be pricier.

Good Luck !!!!!! Just my 2 cents

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #4

This is all weird to me.

I was a builder for years.

If you tell me your house has certain components in the envelope, say, 2x4 or 2x6 construction, what kind of insulation, how thick? Any foam insulation? Where? A Zip system? Reflective barrier? ICF? Double stud wall? SIPS panels? With all this easily available information, I can (somewhat) compare the energy efficiency of houses.

RVs have wood studs, aluminum, foam components, Azdel, lamination, etc. Someone SKILLED IN THE TRADE should know what's better, and know what is inside the walls, ceilings, and floors of these things. You sure as heck can't tell by reading FR propaganda. It's...Mystery Guts.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:39 AM   #5

You are going to find few on the forums that are skilled in the trade. We are mostly owners here. And really you are comparing apples to oranges. Houses to trailers. I have no idea what an envelope, zip system, ICF, SIPS Panels, etc. are so can't help much. A factory tour (realizing that is not necessarily practical) would be your best bet.

Good Luck on what you can find out it would be almost as bad as trying to call GM or Ford & asking how their cars are built.

Hopefully this will bump your post back up & someone can help.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #6

I have wondered about the same exact thing... I have a basic Salem now but contemplating our next camper... I find myself gravitating toward the Flagstaff Classic/Rockwood Signature lines instead of the Hemisphere... but I wonder about construction differences also, even between FR, Jayco, and Keystone products.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #7

Woozy,

I have asked the question over and over and no one wants to give an answer that makes any sense. If you want to make a million bucks come up with construction comparative guidelines. I think the industry lives behind confusion over substance.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #8

Energy use in our campers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big bird View Post
I think the industry lives behind confusion over substance.
THIS^^^^^^

I've been able to figure out a few things from the brochures. Most of the cheaper units are r value 7-7-7. As they get somewhat better, they are r-7-12-14. Oddly, though, not all of the brochures include this information at all. Enclosed underbellies are sometimes in the pecking-order of quality. Better windows are described, but it's impossible to figure out if they add much value.

Some units are Azdel and/or pressure bonded, but it's hard to figure out from the descriptions if it adds substantial insulation quality, or if it's mostly structural.

Some brochures give the foam thickness, from which you can somewhat extrapolate better insulation, however, I noticed in some forum posts that there are voids on the joints, allowing air to whistle thru the unit.

Why do I care about this? If I only camped where weather was perfect, It wouldn't, but fuels cost A LOT these days, and we're in situations where it's work and inconvenience to obtain the fuel.

When you're driving down the road in a car, heating and cooling the interior costs practically nothing, so we do not care for this purpose, the energy use question.

This may be an owner forum, but I'm constantly shocked at the level of knowledge here.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:19 PM   #9

I couldn't be happier with Prime Time. I like that when you contact customer service, your email goes to the company president first and he usually answers the same day. How's that for customer service. Everyone that I have delt with there has gone the extra mile to help me. If I ever trade, you can bet that they will build whatever I buy next.