Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #1
RV Newbie

Differences between models

I'm new to RVs but have a pretty good idea of what I want and what I can afford to tow and buy. So as I look through the different models, I've learned about the different subtle differences in floor plans, recliners (or not), king vs queen bed, wardrobe space, etc. Even with my tow limitations the available options are mind boggling.

So my question is - is there a significant difference between the different Forest River lines in terms of quality? Is there a "better" line? Is a "Signature" model nicer than a non-Signature? I can't see it.

What other manufacturers are comparable or better in terms of quality? If you were to compare the different Forest River lines and competitors to cars, which one is the BMW, the Mercedes, and the Toyota? I took a look at the Airstreams and they are niiiiiiice (with a price to match). But the lack of pull outs killed them for me. They are too narrow for my taste. Pull outs make these things very roomy.

Any suggestions for the newbie wanting to buy his first TT will be welcome!
Old 01-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #2

I have seen a difference in layouts and quality. End the end ,for us, it was what we liked, what we could tow, how you plan to use it and what we could afford. I think it depends on how you will use it. We will be full timing in the next 3 years and wanted to not buy again . You hear from some of the great people on this site that will buy again.

Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:15 PM   #3

I have to admit that I have the same question. I bought a V-Lite in July of 2013 and was told by the saleswoman that there are different grades of trailers even within Forest River. Unfortunately, I was told that the V-Lite was the "Lexus of travel trailers" only to be disappointed in my purchase quality. I had a massive leak in the slide, (think waterfall), that I ended up repairing myself. Now I'm looking to get out of the TT and into a 5th wheel, but I still have the same problem. If you look at GM you see different grades of automobiles, so why can't the same be done for Forest River?
SWJewellTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
I'm new to RVs but have a pretty good idea of what I want and what I can afford to tow and buy. So as I look through the different models, I've learned about the different subtle differences in floor plans, recliners (or not), king vs queen bed, wardrobe space, etc. Even with my tow limitations the available options are mind boggling.

So my question is - is there a significant difference between the different Forest River lines in terms of quality? Is there a "better" line? Is a "Signature" model nicer than a non-Signature? I can't see it.

What other manufacturers are comparable or better in terms of quality? If you were to compare the different Forest River lines and competitors to cars, which one is the BMW, the Mercedes, and the Toyota? I took a look at the Airstreams and they are niiiiiiice (with a price to match). But the lack of pull outs killed them for me. They are too narrow for my taste. Pull outs make these things very roomy.

Any suggestions for the newbie wanting to buy his first TT will be welcome!
The best suggestion I can make is to find out what your local dealer carries. They usually only carry one of the sister lines (I.E. no Rockwood if they have Flagstaff or vice versa). It's very important to be on good terms with your local dealer in the event of warranty and even some non-warranty work.

That said, as you've going through the different lines, a lot of time the difference will be as simple as the paint/fabrics that are offered. Take for example the Rockwood/Flagstaff I referred to above. Those two are built in the same plant, same line, same staff, same quality.

Tags
modifications