Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2018, 08:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
Thanks, do you have LED ceiling lights from the factory?
Yes we do. We have ceiling lights and hanging lights. It is so nice to be able to set the level of light that you want. We like use the low level when we go out at night so we have some light to come in the trailer. We are thinking about doing the same in the bedroom. The only issue is the switch is backlit, so I put black electrical tape over the switch to cover the lights. The switch is about the same size as the switches we replaced. We also put the same switch on our awning lights. It is so nice to be able to dim them also.
2001 Keystone Bobcat 289FBS
lstall00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #22

Scare lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
Funny you should post this question now. Today I just ordered some wireless dimmers with wall switches. Most of my ceiling lights are not on a wall switch and just have a button on each one, so this will also give me wall switches + dimming. I ordered 2 kits plus one additional module and they can be paired to each other so I can control and dim 3 lights with a switch on each end of the camper.

This is what I ordered:
https://www.rvlighting.ca/en/eco-led...ith-lead-wires

and here is their video - the part about the dimmer is the 2nd half of the video:

Ray
I have a strip of what my Mini 2507s calls scare lights on the awning which are way too bright. Will this dimmer work for them?
minilite2507s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by minilite2507s View Post
I have a strip of what my Mini 2507s calls scare lights on the awning which are way too bright. Will this dimmer work for them?
I would think so. I had some questions before I ordered the kit yesterday and they were very quick to respond with lots of answers. You may want to use the contact us link on their website and ask. They seem really helpful.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #24

As was mentioned before, all LEDs that run natively on 12VDC are dimmable with the cheap PWM eBay dimmer linked before. An LED is perfectly happy with the high-frequency pulsing of the PWM dimmer.

It is the 115VAC ones where not all are dimmable. This is because the internal power supply is a tiny switching power supply and needs to be a bit more complex in order to deal with an input power waveform which is not the standard full-voltage sine wave. If you try to dim a non-dimmable 115VAC LED you will likely get flickering, a hot power supply and short time-to-failure.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
Has anyone here put a dimmer switch on their LED ceiling lights? Ours are so very bright that it is impossible to read or watch tv with my glasses on. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I saw something the other day on using photography gels (they are thin sheets of a translucent material in different levels of color correction). I can't find what I was reading before but did find this diy website that shows what I'm referring to: https://www.diyphotography.net/ikea-...tography-gels/

Maybe something like that could help as a quick fix? Pretty sure you can find these gels on Amazon, eBay, B&H Photo, etc. They are really inexpensive too. You just cut them to fit. I'm probably going to be doing a combination of both the dimmer switch and these gels when I get my TT.
vizualeyesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:18 PM   #26

Hello....DC dimmers work uniquely in contrast to AC dimmers. The DC dimmers I've seen are PWM, fundamentally a switch that kills the DC on and at different rates, cleaving up the DC input. You're basically killing the light on and rapidly and the subsequent brilliance relies upon the proportion of on versus off time. Some LED modules will incorporate that beat contribution to a sifted DC which is more satisfying to take a gander at.
LyonSanks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light