Old 08-26-2016, 05:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
That tripod is worth it's weight in gold. I originally had the one DirecTV sent us, and what a piece of crap. Worked okay for a while, til I got a new tripod. We're like you- once you get the hang of pointing it, you can be set up and be watching the Cardinals game in about 10 minutes. Those expensive fancy meters- fine for some, but totally useless as far as I'm concerned. I had a cheapo that I paid ten bucks for, used once, and now I don't even know where it is.

X2 on the meters, a waste of money. Once you set the satellite antenna up one time from then on a piece of cake

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #12

Call this guy. Very helpful. This stuff works. After 3 years of trying, I have it down pat now due to this stuff.

All Products

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:21 PM   #13

When we called direct tv to replace the modem I caught the fella outside at his truck and told him what I was wanting to do and asked if I could purchase one from him he said sure for 30$ cash. Got dish, pointy thing to put receiver in, and all the nuts and bolts with brackets. Then went to Craigslist and some fella down the road had a fetish for tripods (because he had about 50 in garage) told me to pick one and I was out the door for $8. Off to the Big Box store for 50' coil of coax and I was set. Phone app gets ya in the ballpark.
Powerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #14
Site Team

I paid $59.97 through eBay for an oval antenna and necessary power inverter and splitter. I made my own base (you don't need a tripod) with $11 worth of PVC, bolts, nuts and a scrap of 2x12. I use a free iPhone app instead of any kind of meter. I did buy 50' of good coax. I have no trouble setting up for unique service on two TVs since I take the main Genie and a mini-Genie from home.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 14; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I paid $59.97 through eBay for an oval antenna and necessary power inverter and splitter. I made my own base (you don't need a tripod) with $11 worth of PVC, bolts, nuts and a scrap of 2x12. I use a free iPhone app instead of any kind of meter. I did buy 50' of good coax. I have no trouble setting up for unique service on two TVs since I take the main Genie and a mini-Genie from home.

Why do you need an app? you put the zip code of where you are at in the receiver and it tells you where to point the dish.

With a tripod you have precise aiming, no guessing, plus no one is going to come by and bump it.

If it takes you longer then 5 minutes to aim the dish, you are doing something wrong.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #16
Site Team

I use the app to determine if a tree, a camper, an ice cream store is blocking line of sight to the satellite(s). That takes 13 seconds. Yes, then I enter the ZIP code into the receiver. I didn't detail every step. I also run the coax from the trailer to the antenna... I just didn't mention that.
Are you saying your precise-aiming tripod adjusts tilt, elevation and azimuth without making any adjustments to the antenna itself? If so, that is a slick antenna!
Are you saying my ground base is more likely to be bumped than your antenna up on a tripod?
Did I say how many minutes it takes me to set up?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 14; booked = 28
Old 08-26-2016, 09:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I use a free iPhone app instead of any kind of meter.
What app do you use? Knowing right out of the gate if there's an obstruction sure would be useful.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:17 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
What app do you use? Knowing right out of the gate if there's an obstruction sure would be useful.
SatFinder Lite
It includes a list of all/most/many satellites and you choose (one time only) which few you want to locate.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:40 PM   #19

Not trying to be hard headed, but can't you just look in the sky and see if something is in the way? I guess it hard to tell with the satellite on the ground.

As far as bumping, the tripod has spikes on the bottom of the feet that get pressed in the ground and then I put one of them screw in dog anchors under it. Then I connect a buggie cord to the two. This way someone doesn't bump it or move from the wind.

Not knocking your way, just letting others know there are options that might be a little easier to use.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
I use the King Quest automatic antenna and up to 200 ft of coax to put it where it can get the best signal. Yes, they are expensive, but I'm having a brew while manual dish folks are fighting with their antennas hunting for a signal.
I attach the coax to it and the TT and let it do the work. I love it.
I use the "Satellite Pointer-Align your Dish App. Super easy to use to see if you are anywhere near a signal path before you set the dish out.

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote