Old 08-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #1

Direct tv

Ok I know this has been asked before. But we have recently gotten direct tv in our home. I know you can take the home receiver with you. But what kinda dish for the outside of the camper do I need. I mean I don't want to spend a arm and leg getting it all. But just want to know the basic things I need to get. Any help would be appreciated.

1014 1500 GMC
2015 solaire 267bhsk

Old 08-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #2

Direct tv

We have had direct tv for years and started with the 18" round dish and with upgrades now have the newer slimline oval dish with all the hd. Each time we upgraded we kept the prev. dish to use with the rv. I just put a pc of antena mast in the ground after I find a signal. I installed a covered Furrion cable connect to the outside of the trailer and ran the cable up to the receiver. If you do not have a prev dish, you can find them on ebay. A good way to find a sat. is download dishpointer pro app on your smart phone or just use a good compass and signal the meters that are built into the rec. setup menu.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:13 PM   #3

Let google become your friend. Depending on receiver you have for around 200 dollars will get you a decent SWM package including dish, tripod, LNB, power supply, and splitter. Basically everything necessary for you to set up your RV. In addition to that you will want to buy coax cable, probably an inside wall plate and a bunch of coax cable ends. Then you will be able to run a dedicated coax from someplace outside to behind the TV where you can add the power supply and splitter.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #4

We still just use the 18" round. It gets us all the channels that we usually watch at home. Most of the time it's just for news or if it's raining outside or some reason why we might be stuck inside.
Troy, Josie and our 2 K9 co-pilots Breck and Maggie
USN 86-92
Hugeez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Let google become your friend. Depending on receiver you have for around 200 dollars will get you a decent SWM package including dish, tripod, LNB, power supply, and splitter. Basically everything necessary for you to set up your RV. In addition to that you will want to buy coax cable, probably an inside wall plate and a bunch of coax cable ends. Then you will be able to run a dedicated coax from someplace outside to behind the TV where you can add the power supply and splitter.
Didn't think of Google. We got our dish with the tripod on Craigslist. Good info.
Troy, Josie and our 2 K9 co-pilots Breck and Maggie
USN 86-92
Hugeez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:37 PM   #6

I do also. Used the 18 x 24 oval for a while but went back to the 18" round and sd rec.. Just makes for easier set up and takes up less space in the storage compartment. New MH has a Furrion 32" tv and it looks fine. Mostly use for weather and music anyway.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #7

I bought the oval dish from the installer when he was putting one on my house last fall. Gave him $35 for it. Bought a tripod for a transit off of amazon and then an adapter from Tv4myrv.com. I have about $180 in to it. In about ten minutes I have it set up and aimed with HD.Click image for larger version

Name:	sat.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	118457
Old 08-26-2016, 12:48 AM   #8

I got my dish and tripod from DirecTV for free. I just take my receiver that's in the bedroom when we go.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signguy71 View Post
I bought the oval dish from the installer when he was putting one on my house last fall. Gave him $35 for it. Bought a tripod for a transit off of amazon and then an adapter from Tv4myrv.com. I have about $180 in to it. In about ten minutes I have it set up and aimed with HD.Attachment 118457
That tripod is worth it's weight in gold. I originally had the one DirecTV sent us, and what a piece of crap. Worked okay for a while, til I got a new tripod. We're like you- once you get the hang of pointing it, you can be set up and be watching the Cardinals game in about 10 minutes. Those expensive fancy meters- fine for some, but totally useless as far as I'm concerned. I had a cheapo that I paid ten bucks for, used once, and now I don't even know where it is.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #10

I got my satellite dish and tripod from solidsignal.com, I think I paid a little more than 100 bucks. I now have a Trav'ler mounted on the Creek. I still plan on keeping my portable one, sometimes I'll probably be in trees

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote