Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 09:08 PM   #1

Question Directv receiver issue

I have the Winegard Trav’ler and T4 combo setup in my RV.
I use my house H24-700 receivers in the RV and the house. After using my H24-700 receivers while camping this weekend without any issue, I hooked them back up in my house. Now, one of the receivers does not show the HD channels. It doesn’t even recognize the HD channels as HD. For example, HGTV HD only shows HGTV. This is the third time this has happened to me. DIRECTV does not know how to fix. They just send me a new box each time. Has anyone heard of this happening? If so, do you know how to fix?
morries1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by morries1995 View Post
I have the Winegard Trav’ler and T4 combo setup in my RV.
I use my house H24-700 receivers in the RV and the house. After using my H24-700 receivers while camping this weekend without any issue, I hooked them back up in my house. Now, one of the receivers does not show the HD channels. It doesn’t even recognize the HD channels as HD. For example, HGTV HD only shows HGTV. This is the third time this has happened to me. DIRECTV does not know how to fix. They just send me a new box each time. Has anyone heard of this happening? If so, do you know how to fix?
Your receiver is working with two different dishes. The dishes have more than 1 LNB. Internally to the lnb’s is a switching system contrrolled by what channel & satellite your watching.
I believe your problem is the receiver while ( mobile ) ‘remembered’ that last setup. Now connected to your home dish it is different and the receiver is confused. I have Dish, that has a check configuration ‘button’. Direct will have a similar ‘button’. Try that and the dish and receiver will sync. REMEMBER going back to your RV will have the same issue.
Silverbackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:49 PM   #3

Sounds correct but I have tried all options I can find for “switching” the receiver back. I’m not sure what the equivalent check configuration would be for Directv. A tech is supposed to come out so maybe he has the solution. Will let you know what I find out. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:58 PM   #4

My Directv box has a setup function that allows you to choose which dish I am using... buried in the setup section, but if you look you should find it.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:11 PM   #5

I just repeated the satellite setup again for the fifth time and now the HD channels are back. Not sure why it didn’t work the other 4 times or with the other 2 previous boxes but it’s back.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:19 AM   #6

Why this time and not the others? At work when this type of question is asked I just say “Because it can” 😳😳 I am working on a project with a sat dish system, where using a super buddy test set ( a sat device for setting up and tuning dishes) that lets me in my case switch between the three feed horns,. my dish had me wondering because like yours it didn’t want to play nice, after using the buddy. Just check that the F connectors are tight. ( it doesn’t take much to loosen them) because your receiver via the coax sends commands back to your sat dish along with power. Let it get slightly loose, fun & frustration will ensue! Mine the other day, was tweaking just before the last Big Bang episode! Wife got HOT! In my haste i thought all tight-( OTA TV here is iffy, show barely working! ) Re tightned coax, reissued command, show on 6 mins late, pulled wife back down ! My life saved-till the next time?
Silverbackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #7

My wife would have been on the roof if we had missed Game of Thrones (no pun intended plus my house satellite isn’t up there ) All connections are good and tight. I won’t be using the RV satellite again until mid June. Will check back if I run into the same issue again. Until the next time..because it will.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:36 PM   #8
Old Engineer

Always hook-up the satellite antenna cable to the receiver before plugging in the receivers AC line cord.

If you don't the receiver may not detect the correct LNB type and cause the problem you describe.

I use the same DirecTV receiver on 3 different dishes and have had a similar issue in the past.

You can change it in the set-up menu but you have to dig to find it.

FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
My Directv box has a setup function that allows you to choose which dish I am using... buried in the setup section, but if you look you should find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by morries1995 View Post
I just repeated the satellite setup again for the fifth time and now the HD channels are back. Not sure why it didn’t work the other 4 times or with the other 2 previous boxes but it’s back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleckDreher View Post
Always hook-up the satellite antenna cable to the receiver before plugging in the receivers AC line cord.

If you don't the receiver may not detect the correct LNB type and cause the problem you describe.

I use the same DirecTV receiver on 3 different dishes and have had a similar issue in the past.

You can change it in the set-up menu but you have to dig to find it.

This last step is probably the most helpful. Hook everything up first THEN plug in the power cord. The receiver will do a self check & detect what type of LNB & switch it's connected to.

Also, if you log into your account online, you can go to your equipment tab and send a "refresh signal" to your receiver. Some issues are fixed doing this.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:14 PM   #10

If I understand it, you've always had service........but just not HD, right?

The guide can "hide" the SD channels. In the setup you can tell the guide, and also your channel favorite list, to either show the HD, SD, or both.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

The guide can "hide" the SD channels. In the setup you can tell the guide, and also your channel favorite list, to either show the HD, SD, or both.

X2
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

The HD channels were not hidden - the receiver didn’t recognize HD at all. It would only project in SD. It was “stuck” in SD from the mobile satellite. I always hook up the HDMI and sat in line prior to plugging into the electrical outlet.