Old 01-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
cogito ergo moo

disapointed at the camper show...

We went to the St. Louis RV show today. Yawn. Every dealer have 5 or 6 variations of the exact same 5ver, and 2-3 iterations of the same class A, and travel trailer. Literally, if you stopped at one dealer, you pretty much seen the whole show.

I counted only 4(!) pop-ups and maybe a half dozen hybrids in the whole show of over a couple hundred campers. There was no end of $40K-plus units and very little for the younger family with limited funds looking to get into camping cheaply.

What really got me was, I really wanted to see the 23IKSS Rockwood Roo. Its a new floorplan, and though I'm not looking to buy one, I was curious to see one firsthand to see how it feels compared to my 21SSL. Of course, there was not a single example in the whole show. C'mon. The only 'new' floorplan in the Roo lineup and you can't even be bothered to bring one to the show?

I guess they just cater the shows to the tire-kickers and dreamers who only want to see the latest in the High-end dream machines.

Tim

Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #2

So when DW said I couldn't go to the STL RV show, it wasn't because she was afraid I'd do something silly (like we did last year), it was really just 'cause she didn't want me to be bored?

What a sweetie!

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #3

Most of these shows are a bust unless your looking to upgrade. Be honest, how much different can they be when working with x feet by y feet. They are all the same after a while.

If you are looking to step up from a pop up to a TT or a TT to a 5ver or MH then there is something new for you to explore but if you are just going to look at what is different in your same class, well... Blah.. Seen it all.. Different mfg, same layout, same, same, same..

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:05 PM   #4

Same experience here. Last year was kind of a bust when I was looking to ditch the popup. The one floor plan I wanted to see in person no one had. I do plan on hitting the show in Houston next month. I'm not remotely in the market for a new one, but I like to poke around and window shop anyway. I put floor lighting in my popup two years ago after seeing it on one of the high walls at the show. I'm looking at lighting and storage options this year for the new trailer and it's nice to be able to see how some of the different manufacturers have things set up...every once in a while they come up with some cool factory options. Pictures are ok, but it's nice to be able to physically take a look. I'm in the market for a slide topper also so, if one of the vendors can make a better deal than I've found, one might follow me home.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:08 PM   #5
Denver, CO

Didn't see anything that would talk me out of our VCross, and did get to talk to a VCROSS factory rep, who was really interesting and very enthusiastic.

Ended up buying siding for the house, OUCH and some flavor packets for dip. LOL
Old 01-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

It seems to depend on which show that you go to. We went to the DC show a couple of years ago and it was nothing but big fivers and whatnot. Then we went to a show north Baltimore, MD and it had a nice mix of campers.

Dealers have to make their best guess at what people want to see.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #7

This is the first year since 2009 that we did not attend a camper show. Not really sure why but I do remember leaving the show last year thinking it lacked variety. Maybe that's why we stayed home this year.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post

What really got me was, I really wanted to see the 23IKSS Rockwood Roo. Its a new floorplan, and though I'm not looking to buy one, I was curious to see one firsthand to see how it feels compared to my 21SSL. Of course, there was not a single example in the whole show. C'mon. The only 'new' floorplan in the Roo lineup and you can't even be bothered to bring one to the show?

Tim
Too bad they didn't have one... We go to the RV show at the end of Feb every year in Syracuse NY just because its nice to check out all the RV's when there is snow on the ground and camping season is still a couple months away.

The 23IKSS was literally the first camper we saw last year. It was right inside the main door. Looked through 3 buildings worth and saw just about everything. Good number of hybrids - Roo, Shamrock, Jayco, Starcraft. Also a good number of popups and entry level trailers. Plus plenty of big 5th wheels. Seemed like the lowwer priced travel trailers (ribbed metal siding, fairly basic, but nicely priced $17-22K) were really selling.

We were finally in the market to upgrade after a decade plus with the popup. The Palomino Solaire and the Kodiak were my top 2. We had seen both there in past years. Neither dealer brought even one?? I had seen the new IKSS online, but didn't really pay much attention. Seeing it in person was totally different story. Couldn't believe how spacious it was when we actually saw it. So after hours of looking at everything else and not finding the others we wanted to see, we took a break at the hotdog stand and talked it over. Decided that unique floorplan was what we wanted, so no sense driving hundreds of miles to find the others. Went back and made a deal. Couldn't be happier. The big kitchen space, the openness of the layout and all the inside and outside storage were just what we wanted.

And the dealer got sale because they actually had one...Otherwise we might not have even considered it. Seems like the dealers really should be getting the newest stuff to the shows, and bringing enough entry level units to get more people into camping. Those new customers will be back once the upgrade bug bites them...

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
cogito ergo moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post

And the dealer got sale because they actually had one...Otherwise we might not have even considered it. Seems like the dealers really should be getting the newest stuff to the shows, and bringing enough entry level units to get more people into camping. Those new customers will be back once the upgrade bug bites them...
I'm hip.... I had my older Class A, and replaced it with a pop-up. We were quite happy with the PUP, but went to the 2012 STL RV show (as the wife would say "by mistake").

I never given hybrids a second look, and honestly we (my wife and another couple) passed by them more than once. For some reason, we went into a Jayco X23F (equivalent to a Roo 233s) and I was immediately hooked. I loved the wide open feeling, and the fact that were was 6 full size adults in it, and it really didnt feel cramped. And the fact it had 3 queen size beds.

We looked at coachmen Hybrids (ugh!) and then went back thru the show hunting for more. We found the Roo dealer, and walked into a 21SS. Love at first sight! Open, spacious, but with the "under canvas" beds that I really come to like in the PUP. When I found out they can come with an 8' platform for hauling motorcycles or ATV's? well... DONE! Us and the other couple BOTH wound up buying one.

Its funny how we went from not even knowing or caring about Hybrids to realizing it was the perfect RV for us in the span of about an hour. All because of the camper show. It's a shame that this year wasn't like that.

Tim
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #10

Tim-

I agree. We went this year as well. Lots of the same thing. Not much new to report. There was nothing there that would make me trade ours for any of the new models.

Byrely was really pushing the accessories and had a portable carry out Satellite dish they were almost giving away. Too bad we camp to get away from tv and electronics. I wonder how many RV sales actually happen at these shows?

Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, show