Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #1

Disappointed with Forest River

Most of the time I get on the forum to ask questions or possibly help other fellow RVR's. With this thread I want to warn everyone that you may not get what you think your getting. I had posted on the Cedar Creek forum that I was having an issue with the hot water controls in our 38DBRK. What I mentioned was that we had a Rockwood with what I believe had an LCI control panel. In the Rockwood, the panel controlled the hot water heater, both on gas and electric. On the panel you could select what you wanted, as far electric, gas or both. Now fast forward to the Cedar Creek. It has an In Command control system. It has the capability to control the hot water heater but doesn't. After trying since the middle of December to contact Forest River, I finally came found a customer relation phone number, where a representative with customer relations got someone with knowledge and I was able to talk to them about the issue I had. They more or less said it was what it was, even though I mentioned to them that someone at a Goshen FROG rally had the same issue got the it resolved. This is why I'm making this post to warn others of what they may come across. I will admit it is my fault that I didn't go over everything thoroughly during the walkthrough at the dealer. With all that said, PLEASE PLEASE go through everything you can possibly run test, so to speak. Don't assume. If you aren't that knowledgeable, find someone to go with you. My fault was that had dealt with the dealership before and assumed their tech. had dine a robust PDI. Boy was I wrong. With that said, don't sing on the dotted line until you know what you are getting. To those that read this, It's not just Forest River that your going to have issues with, but DAMN
Old 01-16-2020, 06:50 AM   #2

So the Cedar Creek does not allow you to run elec and gas at same time ?? is that the issue?? The Cedar Creek does not offer either or ? Just trying to understand ... "I finally came found a customer relation phone number, where a representative with customer relations got someone with knowledge and I was able to talk to them about the issue I had. They more or less said it was what it was" .... do you run out of hot water fast ? could it be a issue with hot water heater? I am always surprised when someone has trouble contacting service with forest river but I guess I base that on my recent experience when I had a slide issue and called Rockwood service # up in corporate and was transferred and speaking with and trouble shooting the issue in less than a minute I guess all divisions are different ... best of luck
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:31 AM   #3

See if the link below helps you with this issue, this is the person who received the help at Goshen.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...en-192071.html
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:48 AM   #4

We have a 2019 with the In Command and was disappointed to learn that although the In Command clearly provides the option for electric, gas or both, it does nothing. So basically speaking, In Command can do either or both but FR didn't hook it up. Instead, on ours, they installed a rocker switch near the In Command for gas and I assume you use the switch at the tank itself for electric (we've never used gas or both....just electric).

It's a bummer for clearly In Command can do it. Shoot it's even a function on the screen. Why FR didn't take advantage of it I don't know. Would love if they would make available, even via a dealership due to liability, an after purchase add-on kit.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #5

We discovered our 2018 Hathaway had the fancy control panel thing they now sell.

The thing has some videos mostly worthless.

It is tied into the hydraulic leveler, which we use. They removed the fancy outside control. No improvement to me. Not connected to anything else. Actually a step backwards.

Frankly, from the KISS principle, I prefer Simple.

Every light switch and other dodad connected to this system doubles the complexity of the system, trailer! More wires and Relays..

We are camping. Roughing it.

Really, more remotes? Hate the fancy stereo no one Can use without the instruction book that is only on line! Gag!

KISS.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:41 AM   #6

To answer Franks questions. The hot water heater doesn't operate through the In Command system at all. As others said, you have a switch for the gas portion right by the in command panel and the normal switch outside in the hot water heater. The hot water heater works like it's supposed to. The issue I have is that I owned a $52,000.00 MSRP Rockwood that had the controls for the hot water heater built into the control panel. I think that panel was an LCI. Now I have $105,000.00 MSP Cedar Creek 5'r that does not have the controls built into the In Command panel. I must be dumb to think you should get more bang for your buck. One of y'all's threads mentioned the Goshen deal. I went as far as to copy and paste that thread to what I sent to the Cedar Creek rep.
I know what I'm needing to do. I'll continue to hate on Forest River until the warranty runs out and then I'll spend $10.00 to wire the controls to the In Command system my damn self.
I should have known something was fishy when I contacted the In Command folks. I had called them because I was having trouble getting the phone app to talk to the control system. The tech. asked what Keystone I had. When I told him it was a Forest River Cedar Creek, he said ooh. He did help with getting app to work.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #7

@jimla - I agree it is frustrating. In a prior post I "vented" that here you have installed capable technology yet they didn't use it. I'm a technologist by trade and nothing worse that giving options that don't work. I realize that the In Command is used a variety of RVs but there surely should be a way to remove options.

Live and learn....
Old 01-16-2020, 08:52 AM   #8

if you really want it, and you know what needs to be done to get it, and you won't get it done under warranty, spend the $10 and be done with it! then at least you should feel better that you have what you want.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I can understand your frustration (to a degree because the water heater does work) and yes it would have been nice for FR to include the controls into the In Command but to be this upset over what you consider a $10 fix isn't my idea of why we buy R/Vs and what R/Ving is all about.

Spend $10 and fix it however you'd like it to be controlled.
Relish in the fact that for $10 YOU were able to make your rig better than what the factory could.

Pat yourself on the back and relax and enjoy life.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:03 AM   #10

I have the IN COMMAND on my Keystone cougar.. The hotwater heater has the switch outside that still needs to be turned on for electric use, then the IN COMMAND center allows it to run on gas / Electric or both. I typically turn it off at the heater anyway after every trip just for the safety . We keep it hooked up to shore power at home and the kids run in and out and wouldnt want it turned on with no water in it.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:33 AM   #11

I have heard a TON of complaints about the 'new' touch-screen type control/display that controls leveling, and a bunch of other things. I don't know anything about it, I have the older LCI 6 point leveling, with a remote, and both work like champs. I can control it, or go to manual mode, or whatever I want to do. HW Tank is not included, thankfully. That's manual.

I did see a Vilano at an RV show that had a different type of control board. I didn't have the time to inspect it, and of course they weren't going to let me work it to play with it. But it looked different and interesting. If anyone knows the difference, I'd like to know.

But any system that is 100% computerized, with no manual controls for backup, is going to screw with our collective 70 year old heads, I'm thinking. Plus, it's prone to failure.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I can understand your frustration (to a degree because the water heater does work) and yes it would have been nice for FR to include the controls into the In Command but to be this upset over what you consider a $10 fix isn't my idea of why we buy R/Vs and what R/Ving is all about.

Spend $10 and fix it however you'd like it to be controlled.
Relish in the fact that for $10 YOU were able to make your rig better than what the factory could.

Pat yourself on the back and relax and enjoy life.
What I'm looking to see is more the list of parts needed (I hear some relay is needed) and then how do you wire it. I'm quite handy (have to be on a farm) but I don't want to screw up the In Command either and impact my warranty.

Having the gas switch in the rig and then having to use the switch on the tank itself for electric....not sure what to connect, where, etc. Hoping that info could be posted and made available (along with the relay needed, etc).
Old 01-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #13

jimla, don't feel bad with your $105K Fiver not having integrated controls for your hot water tank. There are owners of $200K Georgetown motor homes out there that don't have that feature either. And, because many of the components used in todays RV industry cross over to many brands out there, I'm sure its not exclusive to Forest River.

Remember, of the 205 or so RV manufacturers out there, four companies own the market lead by Thor with about 105, Forest River about 65, and the rest divided up between Winnebago and REV Group. That's why we "All" have the same issues. Live with it and move on, or leave the lifestyle.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:42 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I fixed the Forest River issue. I bought a Heartland with a dealer that cares and fixes things fast when you drop by. No leaving the trailer ever. Small things too. Nothing big. Much better build quality than a Columbus/ Riverstone/Cedar Creek

Funny thing the same Columbus we looked at in 2017 still remains unsold a Wheeler the Dealer unsold. That was fall of 2016! Their treatment of me as customer was deplorable. The Cedar Creek dealer would not deal, same take it or leave attitude.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:54 PM   #15

According to RV Reviews, Thor companies across the board as an average had a consumer rating of 66-68% out of 100 and Forest River's group of companies rated out to 77-79%.

Glad to hear one poste has had a great positive experience with his Heartland, but that was one of Thor's lowest rated brands which surprised me because looking at them at RV shows and talking to factory reps I was always impressed with them.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:08 PM   #16

Disapointed with Forest River

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
We discovered our 2018 Hathaway had the fancy control panel thing they now sell.

The thing has some videos mostly worthless.

It is tied into the hydraulic leveler, which we use. They removed the fancy outside control. No improvement to me. Not connected to anything else. Actually a step backwards.

Frankly, from the KISS principle, I prefer Simple.

Every light switch and other dodad connected to this system doubles the complexity of the system, trailer! More wires and Relays..

We are camping. Roughing it.

Really, more remotes? Hate the fancy stereo no one Can use without the instruction book that is only on line! Gag!

KISS.

I am with you. All this new technology is getting really annoying - and more irritating, is that we have to pay for it and are not given options!! We should not have to pay for unwanted technology, then pay someone else to get rid of it.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #17

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200116_143836.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	221950

One of my many items I look for in a new rv is the controls. In Command and remotes for control are always a concern. I like electric and gas hot water controls inside and plain switches are the best.
Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:46 PM   #18

I too am very disappointed with with Forest River, Dynamax and the Bank Stone Motor Homes for their poor construction and lack of attention to detail when building and selling their motor homes. I will not go into detail on the things that was not done or done correctly by these companies when building and selling my RV. However, I will say that my brand new 2019 Isata3 24RW spent over 4 months in several different maintenance shop fixing obvious warranty issues that should have been caught during the construction and sale phase. It appears to me that there is little on no quality control inspection done by these companies. They are only concerned with making a sale.
djbiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #19

I'm just the opposite....love technology. Like being able to control RV slides, lights, etc from my phone is awesome.

What I don't like is phantom technology. If you are going to give me buttons, then they should work (do something). As noted...the In Command has options to control the electric, gas or both on hot water but they aren't being used. It's like buying a stripped down car yet they provide all the buttons of a fully loaded car that do nothing. Makes no sense.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:02 PM   #20
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I fixed the Forest River issue. I bought a Heartland with a dealer that cares and fixes things fast when you drop by. No leaving the trailer ever. Small things too. Nothing big. Much better build quality than a Columbus/ Riverstone/Cedar Creek

Funny thing the same Columbus we looked at in 2017 still remains unsold a Wheeler the Dealer unsold. That was fall of 2016! Their treatment of me as customer was deplorable. The Cedar Creek dealer would not deal, same take it or leave attitude.
Who is your Heartland dealer in southern Ontario? Their website says the closest Bighorn dealer to me is in Walkerton, ON. There is a Heartland dealer not far from me in Peterborough and I wouldn't set foot in their door (don't think they sell Bighorns though).
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river