Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 07:23 PM   #1

DISH TV

Is anyone using the DISH portable satellite dish- not the automatic kind but the kind that goes on the tripod? I always used that type for DirecTV and had no problems; could find a satellite in about 3 minutes and 5 minutes later I was watching TV. When we switched to DISH, we got the Wally with the Playmaker automatic satellite finder. Just cannot get it to work right; it finds the satellites but cannot lock onto the signal. I have a new Wally receiver on the way, and had Winegard check the Playmaker, but I'm not holding my breath. So I'm thinking I may go back to an open dish type. Are any of you guys still using this setup? Thanks for any info.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:00 PM   #2

Lotsa post about some Wally receivers not having enough output voltage to adequately power auto dish setups. The satellite dish needs 14- 18 VDC to operate properly … several people getting Wally's with 13 VDC or less output. Once they get a replacement with the correct VDC output … all is well.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
Is anyone using the DISH portable satellite dish- not the automatic kind but the kind that goes on the tripod? I always used that type for DirecTV and had no problems; could find a satellite in about 3 minutes and 5 minutes later I was watching TV. When we switched to DISH, we got the Wally with the Playmaker automatic satellite finder. Just cannot get it to work right; it finds the satellites but cannot lock onto the signal. I have a new Wally receiver on the way, and had Winegard check the Playmaker, but I'm not holding my breath. So I'm thinking I may go back to an open dish type. Are any of you guys still using this setup? Thanks for any info.
We have that set up. I hope I can explain this as I am not a techie. When we purchased the dish and receiver at Camping World they told me the receiver had to be activated on a dish that was already set up and since we dont have dish at home they let me connect to their dish there in the store and I called Dish and set up my account. Once I got to our campsite we were able to get set up in no time. Hope this helps.
becca4vols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:05 PM   #4

I purchased a Pathway X2 and 211Z receiver with no home satellite. All I did was call Dish and they set me up on the spot. This was last year. Just tell them you want Pay as You Go for your RV.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Open dish on a tripod seems to work better. Guy on ebay sells the whole setup for about $130. Just bring a receiver from home and your good to go. My boss convinced me and everyone at DeGray State Park in Arkansas. His last three trips everyone with the small auto finders couldn't lock on a good signal, but his dish on the tripod worked every time. Now whenever there is a big game being played, everyone brings food and drinks and his site is the tail gate headquarters for the weekend. Only downside is no HD, but I'm fine with that.
YardDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:17 PM   #6

Quote:
I have had the wally and Playmaker for several years with no issues. The Wally has to be activated and yours may need the latest software version uploaded. All this is done remotely by Dish. Call dish for technical support while the system is up and running. They can talk you through the issues. Trees will be more of an issue with the smaller Playmaker dish than your larger tripod dish was.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:21 PM   #7

Don't have DISH but I used to. The physical dish inside those auto jobs are very small. Least tree limb and they fade. The tripod dishes are bigger and bring in better signal, IF you can point them correctly.

Trouble is, with the automatic dishes on DISH network, the 3 satellites are far apart, so changing channels requires those little dishes to move to get the next satellite. The big tripod satellites, they grab more signal. DirecTV uses 3 satellites, but they are very close together.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #8

Bubbles- done all that. Thanks for the reply! Diesel guy- done all that, too, but I don't do pay-as--you-go. I pay an extra $7.00 dollars a month and can turn off anytime. Becca- thanks for the help, but way past all that. I appreciate your reply! DiesleGuy- getting 19V at the Playmaker. Their last thing to do is replace the Wally, which was sent out today.
That's what has been so frustrating- we've tried EVERYTHING the techs could come up with. Hooked up direct, replaced the cable several times, etc. etc. If the new Wally receiver doesn't do it, I think I'm going to go with the tripod system that Yard Dog was talking about. Thanks so much to everybody for all their input and help.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Bubbles- done all that. Thanks for the reply! Diesel guy- done all that, too, but I don't do pay-as--you-go. I pay an extra $7.00 dollars a month and can turn off anytime. Becca- thanks for the help, but way past all that. I appreciate your reply! DiesleGuy- getting 19V at the Playmaker. Their last thing to do is replace the Wally, which was sent out today.
That's what has been so frustrating- we've tried EVERYTHING the techs could come up with. Hooked up direct, replaced the cable several times, etc. etc. If the new Wally receiver doesn't do it, I think I'm going to go with the tripod system that Yard Dog was talking about. Thanks so much to everybody for all their input and help.
Different prices depending on who you buy from, but $129 was the best price I found. I'll find the guy again and post a link for you.
YardDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:49 PM   #10

I have the winegard carry out and it works great.... did just lose my dish 211 receiver (won’t power up)....

Thinking about getting a Wally to replace it.... yes/no??? Or get another 211....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:52 PM   #11

One other thing … since there are feet upon feet of low grade coax with iffy crimped connections and several splitters inside any RV … I also added a thru the wall coax connector connected directly to my main TV. The cable to the satellite dish hooks directly to the thru the wall connector. I used to drag around a tripod as well … luckily we have excellent luck with our setup. I also used to be a DirecTV subscriber for 19 years. I switched to Dish and never looked back. Way more RV friendly changing local programming from state to state in our travels and way fewer price "adjustments" so far.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
I have the winegard carry out and it works great.... did just lose my dish 211 receiver (won’t power up)....

Thinking about getting a Wally to replace it.... yes/no??? Or get another 211....
If your 211 is the "K" and you used the coax output the Wally will require an RF modulator (red/yellow/white) for the coax (Wally has no coax output). If your 211 is a "Z" you are using HDMI and this is not an issue. The Wally does require an adapter if you connect your over the air antenna to your 211. Nice things about Wally to me are; small size, doesn't get as hot and uses RF remote instead of IR. Mine is inside a closed cabinet. I have hooked up 200 feet of antenna coax to Wally and have had no issues with SAT signals. I don't care for the program guide layout though (liked the 211/personal preference).
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote