Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #1

Dishwashing Liquid Ruined Stainless Steel Sink

We left one of those dish scrubbers, that stores dish washing liquid in the handle, in the bottom of our stainless steel sink. We didn't notice until about four months later that the dish washing liquid (Dawn brand) had leaked out of the scrubber and in to the sink. It has damaged the finish on the sink by causing erosion of the sink itself.

Is there any way to make this damage look less obvious? We really do not want to have to replace the sink as the trailer is only one year old.

I've attached a picture so you can see the damage that was caused by the dish washing liquid.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1909.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	190933  
ShutterbugSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

wow, that's a shame! it looks like some sort of 'plating' that got eaten away. No longer under warranty?
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
Junior Old Fart

Try using a scotch brite pad and rub in the same direction as the finish in the sink.
LTDunltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDunltd View Post
Try using a scotch brite pad and rub in the same direction as the finish in the sink.
Not gonna help repair cheap Faux Chinese SS.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #5

That's not real stainless steel.

If it couldn't hold up to Dawn, I'd be demanding a replacement from FR.
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #6

Looks like there is liquid stainless steel that you may be able to use to refinish it. If you try,et us know how it works.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:05 PM   #7

Quote:
We really do not want to have to replace the sink as the trailer is only one year old.
really, replace the sink?... just a little cosmetic damage that does not effect the operation of the sink...

obviously NOT stainless steel, but painted to look like stainless... some touch-up paint from an auto parts store might hide it a bit and protect the unpainted metal...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:08 PM   #8

I'll have to check and see what the warranty period is on the sink. I doubt they'd cover it though as they will probably say it's our fault for leaving dish washing soap in the sink.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #9

I probably wouldn't replace it but will look at some stainless steel paint or liquid stainless steel.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #10

Wash the area with a mild citric acid (vitamin C and water). Use a plastic or brass scrubby. Scrub with the grain in the metal. Do NOT use bleach. Bleach eats stainless steels. Do not scrub with steel wool - the iron will embed in the metal and rust. Dry the area and let it sit. Stainless will repair itself to some extent. If I remember correctly, the chromium in the metal oxidizes and creates the "stainless" coating. Not sure how long it takes for the chromium oxide to coat the surface. It will depend on how much chromium is in the metal.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Wash the area with a mild citric acid (vitamin C and water). Use a plastic or brass scrubby. Scrub with the grain in the metal. Do NOT use bleach. Bleach eats stainless steels. Do not scrub with steel wool - the iron will embed in the metal and rust. Dry the area and let it sit. Stainless will repair itself to some extent. If I remember correctly, the chromium in the metal oxidizes and creates the "stainless" coating. Not sure how long it takes for the chromium oxide to coat the surface. It will depend on how much chromium is in the metal.
Thanks I'll try this!
Old 11-08-2018, 06:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterbugSue View Post
Thanks I'll try this!
It appears your sink is nickel plated and scrubbing on that area will not make it better...only worse.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:32 AM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

Yup, that's plating that came off. Never seen that before on stainless steel. I know these things are cheaply built, and going to have to be extremely careful to the point of using care with dishwashing liquid in a sink? Brother! They really should replace that sink. And don't tell them the liquid sat in there, just tell you noticed the finish is separating or they WILL try to get out of this.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Yup, that's plating that came off. Never seen that before on stainless steel.
This is how many of the no-name and lower cost stainless steel sink manufacturers create the “mirror finish” look on their sinks. The quality manufacturers use more nickel and chromium content, then buff to a mirror finish.

If a magnet sticks to stainless steel, that’s a good indicator of cheap, low-quality stainless steel — if it is, indeed, stainless steel.

Bruce
Old 11-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #15

Stainless Steel Cleaner available at most hardware stores and electric buffer...light pressure only, should do it.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:57 PM   #16
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I keep one of those small Bissell Pet carpet shampoo machines in my 5'ver, and in the hot Arizona heat this summer it made the bottle of carpet shampoo leak.

When I discovered it out in the storage lot before it made a big mess under the sink I put the bottle in the plastic kitchen sink to deal with later for a couple of days and it stained the sink.

I've tried scrubbing it out to no avail.

But...it is just a sink, so I've decided to just live with it.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #17

Dawn dish soap and stainless steel sink

OR.... you could send a picture to the makers of Dawn and say "Look what Dawn did to my rv sink!". Just a thought....
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #18
Just as confused as you

As others have said that sink is nickel plated. The base metal is most likely mild steel. Try looking at the bottom of the sink. If it is metal, either mild steel or stainless, there will be a sound dampening material made from a asphalt type material. If it doesn't have the dampening material on it then the sink is most likely made from some type of plastic.

It doesn't matter what grade, Stainless will not eat away from regular household cleaning agents. Undiluted household bleach will tarnish stainless if left for a week or more, other than the tarnish the stainless will not be harmed. Magnetic stainless will start showing signs of rust if left outdoors 4 to 6 months in the weather.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #19

Are you sure it is metal? Our faucet is plastic but has a nickle finish like it's metal. An abrasive scrubber will make it worse.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #20

This was the response from Forest River:

"Yes this is a stainless steel sink, i'm not sure what chemical compound was in the cleaner but this isn’t repairable, you would have to replace the sink"

I did email back to ask if this was covered by warranty and am waiting for a reply. I'm not too hopeful.

Tags
sink