Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 08:05 AM   #1

Disney World Fort Wilderness

Planning to go in the spring of 2019, but before I finish these reservations, I am asking anyone who has been there for advice:

- Good time to check in there?
- Anything on discounts for the campground?
- Good location at the campground I should ask for?
- Leaving from Northern VA and will make one stop before Orlando, any good
campgrounds to stop along 95 before Jacksonville, FL? (With heated pool
and/or hot tubes have two teen kids).

Thanks
Moosey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:18 AM   #2

Fort wilderness is fantastic!
Check in is at 11:00 some times they are ready early sometimes a little later. I do like on line check in. They will text you with tour site number and you go right in.
Call now to reserve a golf cart. The place is huge and it is so much fun to ride around.
No discounts. Off times such as mid January is a bit cheaper.
Premium site! Especially if you have a good size rig. They are all nice but we like the 800 and 900 loop.
On the trip down you just have to research a bit. Most kOA camle are nice.
Have fun it is great. By the way don't over book at the parks you will regret not spending more time at camp.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #3
Enjoying Life

Actually check-in is 3pm. Check out is 11am. Both are flexible. I have done early check in as soon as 9am. Use the online check in and you will be notified when your site is ready and can go on in. They also have an overflow area you can park in and wait. The beauty of the overflow is you can get there anytime and park. Then go to the parks and enjoy, come back later and then go to your site. We like the 600 or 700 loops (pet loops) and close to the boat for MK.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
Always Learning

Here are 2 articles that can be helpful for learning about Fort Wilderness:

Mine- this tells about the different site categories and what not:
Camping at Disney World’s Fort Wilderness | Learn To RV

On a friend’s blog that shows check-in and all that jazz:
https://letsplanwdw.com/2016/08/15/d...erness-primer/

Discounts are tough as they typically fall into whatever Disney is doing for its hotels and, often, Fort Wilderness is excluded. Having a travel agent watch and guide you is the best way to stay in the know and snag the discount. They’re free for you.

Check-in is whenever you arrive. As long as your site is ready, you can go to it. Or they can re-assign you at the gate. Or you can put your camper in overflow and go play for the day.

The location is largely based on the site category you pick. Their Preferred sites are closest to the boats for Magic Kingsom. But they’re smaller and sometimes can be tricky to park at. The Premiums are the biggest and a few loops are walkable to the boat. For both, you’d have to take the internal bus to the Disney busses for all other parks/destinations. Renting a golf cart can’t be really nice! Or bikes if you don’t have littles in strollers.

As for destinations- I’ve only ever picked places for late night arrivals. I have no idea about the amenities of the big handful of places we have stayed.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
code.org

We spent a week there this past April. We stayed in the 200 loop so that we would not have to rent a golf cart. From the 200 loop it is a short walk to the docks where you can catch a boat to take you to either the Magic Kingdom or the Contemporary Hotel where you catch the Monorail to Epcot / Disney's Hollywood Studios. That way you only have to catch one of the Fort Wilderness buses to the Transportation Center when you want to go the the Animal Kingdom Park, which is relatively small and can be done in a single day. This strategy was suggested to us by the reservation person.

Make reservations now. They fill quickly. Site prices vary by time of year. We couldn't find any discounts. Even Disney employees we know couldn't get us a better rate.
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #6

The fort is a great place. Plenty to do. Take bikes and enjoy the scenery. IF it is the summer, well it's just hot. We have stayed in several loops. As others have stated, the closest loops are smaller, but I have seen large rigs in all loops.

We have stayed at the St. Marys KOA on 95 in GA, and Camp Lake Jasper in SC. Both are nice. Didn't venture to the pool as we stopped for the night only. The KOA has breakfast on weekends!

If you want to venture on down further, Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park in Jax is on the beach. Large sites and lots of shade.

I4 is under construction and a hot mess. If you don't like tight lanes, stop/go.stop/go and bumpy construction, venture a little further south on 95 and cut across. There are a bunch of tolls on the alternate route, but worth the smooth flowing ride IMO.
natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:22 PM   #7

Plan, plan, plan.... there are so many things to do at mouse land. plan every park. Rush when you have to and relax when you can. Plan, plan.... and the vacation will be very enjoyable.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:26 PM   #8

We go to Fort Wilderness 3 to 4 times a year.

There is a very good KOA at exit 1 in Georgia (St Mary’s)

Best time to check in is at 12 noon. From St Mary it is about 4 hours To avoid the construction on I-4 take 417 which is a toll road but will save you a lot of aggravation

Best loop is the 400 which is closest to the marina where you get the boat to the Magic Kingdom.
Call a few days before to the front desk to request a specific loop/site.
Enjoy the Fort
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:40 PM   #9
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosey1 View Post
Planning to go in the spring of 2019, but before I finish these reservations, I am asking anyone who has been there for advice:

- Good time to check in there?
- Anything on discounts for the campground?
- Good location at the campground I should ask for?
- Leaving from Northern VA and will make one stop before Orlando, any good
campgrounds to stop along 95 before Jacksonville, FL? (With heated pool
and/or hot tubes have two teen kids).

Thanks
To get any discounts or make plans we use a travel agent that is an expert in WDW. Her name is Elaine Zervos and she has taken excellent care of us for the last 15 years and now plans all of our vacations no matter where we are going. Email or call her and see what she can do for you. Elaine@mickeymagicvacations.com or 973-812-0770. She can set up dinner reservations, meet and greet, special events, tickets to events. Just tell her when you want to go and what you want to see. Good Luck and have fun on you vacation!

Alan
Old 10-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #10

Seems like it may be a little late, sort of shooting from the hip but we just came up with the idea for a winter trip (after Christmas, first week or two of January) and thought of making a stop at Fort Wilderness but it appears to be pretty booked up, so we're not sure if it's really in the cards. Being new to this we never really thought of the winter being a busy time for camping but I guess it makes sense in that area. May look into a travel agent like Alan suggested.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
I Break Everything

We've been to the Fort and other Disney resorts. We don't worry much if we Do or Don't see things. We go in to the parks when we want, not opening time for sure. Hop around from park to park. I understand the need to micromanage a trip like this but that's not for us. Don't expect discounts of any kind. We don't do any dining plans but do make dinner reservations. Get the golf cart, the park is big and the only parking places for cars/trucks outside your site is for golf carts only. The buses are more than adequate, if you're afraid you're gonna miss a bus, get up earlier, that's all. If you run into us there, we'll be the group walking slower than everyone else. Have Fun!

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #12

We are also ft wilderness fanatics.

Even as DVc members we don’t get a discount on the campsite.

I like loop 400, 600, 1200 and 1400. Check YouTube for loop videos.

We stayed at creekfire rv resort in savanah on the way home north in August and loved it so much this will be our new all time stop when headed to the fort. Stay for two days though. It’s brand new and amenities are great. Also hit a great bbq joint called cracklin bs just 15 minutes away from the campground.
primo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo20 View Post
We are also ft wilderness fanatics.

Even as DVc members we don’t get a discount on the campsite.

I like loop 400, 600, 1200 and 1400. Check YouTube for loop videos.

We stayed at creekfire rv resort in savanah on the way home north in August and loved it so much this will be our new all time stop when headed to the fort. Stay for two days though. It’s brand new and amenities are great. Also hit a great bbq joint called cracklin bs just 15 minutes away from the campground.

Might as well stay a few more nights at Disney as stay at creekfire tv resort, $85 a night
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Might as well stay a few more nights at Disney as stay at creekfire tv resort, $85 a night
True. And that’s how I feel when we it’s time to leave the fort. But it helps break up the travel day. The facilities are top notch though.

I paid 100 a night in myrtle beach once after paying 74 at the Fort.
primo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #15

We went to the Fort last November. They do not offer discounts for RV camping. Cabins are a different story. Like others said check in is when your site is ready. We stayed in the 100 loop. You are able to call and reserve up to three specific sites. This was our first time staying there and we love it. Also drive your car to the parks. Parking is free at the parks to Fort guest. The buses can take awhile to get to the parks and the longest drive we had from the Fort to a parking spot was 15 minutes. www.fortfiends.net is a good site for info. Also AllEars.Net - The Unofficial Disney Vacation Planning Guide - Walt Disney World, Disneyland and Disney Cruise Line is good too. The 100, 200, and 300 loops are close to the boats.
kurtsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:38 PM   #16

Been camping at Fort Wilderness for almost 30 years. Highly recommend taking bicycles. The best way to get around! Ride the nice paved path from the campground to the Ft
Wilderness Lodge. If you are quiet, almost always see deer and turkeys. A fun thing you might try is to find the hidden Mickeys at the
Wilderness Lodge. Ask any one that works there and they will tell you all about it. Ride around all the loops...so much fun. Take the boat to the Magic Kingdom entrance and then catch the resort monorail and do want we call the monorail loop, stopping at each hotel to check it out or have a drink. Maybe you’ll get lucky and see a wedding taking place at The Grand Floridian...we have seen several. Take the bus to Disney Springs...nice shops and good restaurants. You can see the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the beach by the campground marina.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:14 PM   #17

As a military veteran I can get a good deal on the resorts but the rooms are really small besides I like staying in our camper. I can get a good deal on the tickets and I have tickets for this stay but will probably not get tickets next trip. Unless we take our granddaughter, she gets scared when she gets to close to the characters
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
As a military veteran I can get a good deal on the resorts but the rooms are really small besides I like staying in our camper. I can get a good deal on the tickets and I have tickets for this stay but will probably not get tickets next trip. Unless we take our granddaughter, she gets scared when she gets to close to the characters
It will change when she gets older my daughter was the same way. She still won't sit on Santa's lap and that doesn't bother me o e bit . lol you never know who is in on of those suits. Also thank you for your service!
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:20 PM   #19
Enjoying Life

If you are having trouble booking dates, try booking them one day at a time. We have done this and we were able to string together the dates we wanted. When we arrived we just had them link the many reservations and we were all set.
We have also been able to fill in when we arrived if we had a missing day in the middle. Just ask, they have a lot of last minute openings.( understandable , since you can cancel without penalty up to 5 days before your start day) We have also been able to change the type of campsite. We had multiples for a reservation , some were Full Hook up and others were Preferred, when we arrived we asked if we could combine and they made them all Preferred and only charged the Full Hook up rate. So, yes they don't have published discounts but sometimes they make deals at the last minute for that "Disney Magic".

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:52 PM   #20
Traveling along

Went this past summer. Really hot. Download the app "Fort Fiends" for pics of each site. It tells where the hookup is and how hard to back into it. Helped us pick a site. Had a list of sites we wanted and when we checked in, found one on our list that was available. Also best day to check in is on a Sunday. We stayed from a Friday to Wed. Most sites emptied on Sunday. Good luck and hope you enjoy it.
2019 Silverado 2500
2019 Primetime Crusader 29rsle
Bill and Margo is offline   Reply With Quote