Old 01-26-2015, 10:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post

I keep ours coiled and hang the slack around the rear bumper tube since our connector in toward the rear .
Ditto

2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:42 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger60 View Post
We have a 2011 Micro Lite 23 LB. Bought it from a car dealership that took it as a trade-in. Found out today that the previous owners of the camper are friends of the dealership owner. He said he had the camper stored in his barn and will look for the cord. I'm not confident that we will ever see it so I'm thinking we will be purchasing one. Not sure why a power cord would not be stored inside the camper instead of being taken out.
Thieves have stolen a lot of cords for the copper. If you have to buy one, do not get it from a dealer as they charge a arm and leg for one. Get one by doing a google for rv power cord. 30 amp or 50 amp Walmart, Amazon, Ebay all sell them for less than the dealer.
Mel

Old 01-27-2015, 12:38 AM   #13
BamaCamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
Well, at least you know it was stored in a barn which means it wasn't left out to weather. I have mixed feelings about the plug on the camper verses pulling the cord out. You can never lose the attached cord. When you only need a few feet, you just pull out what you need. Now I have to use a hanger to keep the cord from lying in the mud when it rains.
Yes we agree! Our previous camper had the pull out kind of power cord. But the Aviator has a very heavy power cord that takes up space in the storage compartment. And like you said when it rains it sits in the mud. We also rig up something to keep off the ground like milk crate. It works pretty good. but hard to wind it up.
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Thieves have stolen a lot of cords for the copper. If you have to buy one, do not get it from a dealer as they charge a arm and leg for one. Get one by doing a google for rv power cord. 30 amp or 50 amp Walmart, Amazon, Ebay all sell them for less than the dealer.
Mel
Craigslist you can pay more then the scrap yard for the copper.
We were just discussing the stolen cord issue as our Teton was a pull out in the trunk. Still trying to figure out a way to tether a lock to ours that would wake us if someone was trying to take it. We're full timers.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:44 AM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to chuckw5kav
Our 5th wheel had the pullout cord, we changed it to a plug-in
after dragging the cord down the road three different time's
and destroying the plug end.

I would check the cord and all would be find, then a car would
pullup along side and hold up a sign saying the cord was dragging
Ugh

Try to find a plug end in the middle of South Dakota is a challenge
to say the least .....
W5KAV
This years Camping 75 days
chuckw5kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:14 AM   #16

This is probably what you need right here:

Camco 55501 PowerGrip 25' Cord with 30 AMP Male Standard/30 AMP Female Locking Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BNZGCS..._ul3Xub0EFBYE2
2005 Chevy Express 3500
castlemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:30 PM   #17

Thanks, everyone! We just called the dealership and instead of leaving word with the salesman that the cord was located or not, the owner is out of the office all day today. They have their money for the camper so they really don't have any incentive to look for the cord so I'm pretty sure it will be up to us to buy a new one.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #18

Shore Power Access Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
Well, at least you know it was stored in a barn which means it wasn't left out to weather. I have mixed feelings about the plug on the camper verses pulling the cord out. You can never lose the attached cord. When you only need a few feet, you just pull out what you need. Now I have to use a hanger to keep the cord from lying in the mud when it rains.
We have never lost our attached cord, but we did push the end of it completely thru the back of the access hatch, which was extremely difficult to retrieve. I finally got a cord looped around one of the prongs and pulled it back out. I like the idea of converting it to twist lock attachment. Good idea!
Old 01-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #19

Our current camper has the detachable cord, and I like it better than the attached version that pushes back in. The push in can get tangled up and be a pain to pull out sometimes, as well as being someplace ants/bugs can get into.

Sounds like you may end up buying a cord, but I would take the receipt back to the dealer and see if they will cover it. Selling a camper without a power cord is like them selling a car without keys. Its not an option, it part or the standard stuff it should have had. They need to do a bit of homework if they are going to deal product outside of their comfort zone. Good Luck.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #20

As someone who's had both types on my two campers, I think I prefer the plug-in cord vs the permanently attached cord. I always felt like cold air (and mice, and who knows what else) was coming in where the cord passed into the camper. As for the cord being a bit of a PITA to deal with, yes it can be. For storage, I picked up one of these at the Hershey show and installed in in my front generator compartment (that doesn't have a generator in it.)

MOR/ryde Products

Makes winding and storing the cord a breeze. Yes, you have to unreel the whole thing to use it, but it's much easier to deal with on the reel.

And +1 on the dealer either "finding" your power cord or buying one for you. That is an item that needs to be included in the sale, and if its not, they need to make you whole. No excuses. Good luck!

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power