Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #1

Do I have a lemon?

Hello.
Can someone let me know if this is typical or do I have a lemon in my driveway.
My wife and I just bought a 2017 Forrest River Sunseeker 3050S. we wanted one without an overdrive bunk as we have no kids so we found one in Texas. We live in Florida so I flew down to pick it up and drive it home. It looked great on the lot but during the inspection we missed a few things that I didn't think of looking for.
Here is a list of things wrong so far:
1-The couch wasn't bolted to the floor.
2-The main TV died after a week
3-The awning was not put on right. It would have torn after a few uses.
4-The ice maker in the fridge leaked
5-The outside TV has a loud hum when you watch a DVD.
6-The shower stall was not caulked on the bottom so water would get in behind the plastic.
7-The "BigFoot" leveling jack had a hydraulic leak after only 2 uses
8-The inner tires on the rear of the vehicle had bad valves and would not accept air and we could not check the pressure.

We have brought it to Camping World 3 times to get things fixed and thank God for a warranty but I am worried about what happens after the warranty expires.

We have only camped in it twice.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks

Pierre
Jeanguypataterubberboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #2

Under warranty get the things fixed and you should be a happy camper. I would not think that your rig is anywhere close to a lemon. Seems to me all are easily fixed. could you tell me what a overdrive bunk is? lol
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Under warranty get the things fixed and you should be a happy camper. I would not think that your rig is anywhere close to a lemon. Seems to me all are easily fixed. could you tell me what a overdrive bunk is? lol

I'm guessing he meant overhead bunk.
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:44 PM   #4

Not sure how bad it has to be to qualify as a lemon, but it's certainly a sad indictment on the RV industry. There's just no excuse.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:53 PM   #5

Shower stalls do not need to be caulked. Pan comes up several,inches behind sides.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Shower stalls do not need to be caulked. Pan comes up several,inches behind sides.
X2 on shower pan.
The other items listed are minor bugs to be worked out under warranty.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeFeo View Post
I'm guessing he meant overhead bunk.
I know I was being a wise ass you know it happen sometimes! lol
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #8

Number 8 probably isn't a fail. I bought a new 3050s and the valves on the inside dually are different from all the other tires. I don't know why but would like to know about them. I had tjose valves changed out right away. There's no sense keeping two different types of valves only to require 2 different ways of filling them up! BTW, consider getting tire monitors the first time they warn you of low pressure they've saved you more money then what they cost.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
lol Sorry. I meant the bunk over the driver.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #10

I'd have to say No Lemon, one thing is the chassis giving you any problems? The things your listing can be mixed and probably wouldn't cost much to take care of. On the other hand if the motor, electrical or other major components start giving you problems then you might have a problem.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #11
Some guy in back...

Quality? What is that in the RV industry in 2017?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Not sure how bad it has to be to qualify as a lemon, but it's certainly a sad indictment on the RV industry. There's just no excuse.
The excuse exists, and it has two parts: Management and the piecework standard.

Getting things done right in manufacturing is a management issue. "Right" means satisfying customers inside and outside the business. Inside the business, it's shareholders (if it's public) or the actual management team if it's private. Outside the business, the customers are the RV dealers (primarily); End customers, actual RV'ers like you and me, are secondary.

The piecework standard is the way RV manufacturing, for the most part, makes RVs. Line workers are paid to produce a certain number of units in a given time and then they can go home or stay and get paid more money. If you have a farm, going home "early" is great. If you need to make a car payment, maybe you work more. Everyone works FAST. Are corners cut? Without a doubt.

As rv users, we get the product. Incompletely finished units (poor quality), poorly (overly quickly) executed assembly, things forgotten (what's stuck in my black tank?) and lots of "close enough".

There are is an excellent article on working in the RV industry out now:

Where factory jobs are plentiful, Trump's supporters want better

So, all I can say is "Caveat Emptor"...and use a PDI checklist when you buy a rig!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:33 PM   #12

Don't think you got a Lemmon...my 2016 3050S had several issues and I've gotten them taken care of by various means. Some I've done some I got done at the International Rally. My purchasing dealer is worthless so I've decided to use other dealers. I'm out of factory warranty now, but any big bugs have been resolved and I look forward to the rest of the season without any big issues. I recommend you contact the closest FR dealer and see what you can work out to get your warranty work completed as soon as you can. It doesn't hurt to get in touch with FR factory warranty folks early in the process, they may be able to assist with your dealer expediting your repairs. Either way, enjoy your 3050S and have fun camping..
Old 06-30-2017, 06:31 PM   #13
Crazy Dog Lady

mkekflyers: I also had problems with a worthless dealer, but when I checked out other Forest River dealers, I was told that no one would touch warranty work because Forest River won't pay enough for the work. This means that if the dealer that sold you the new unit won't "get around to" the warranty service, you are out of luck.
Granny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:40 PM   #14
Who Dares, Wins

I know a TT cannot be a "Lemon" under the law but can a moho? If the chassis is good but not the rv part I wonder if you would even have a leg to fight.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:53 PM   #15

Doubt it could be called a lemon by law.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:48 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny K View Post
mkekflyers: I also had problems with a worthless dealer, but when I checked out other Forest River dealers, I was told that no one would touch warranty work because Forest River won't pay enough for the work. This means that if the dealer that sold you the new unit won't "get around to" the warranty service, you are out of luck.
That means THEY won't accept what FR pays for warranty work.
We bought our Rockwood from a dealer 2000 miles away.
FR found us 3 local dealers willing to do the warranty work, even at FR's rate.
Many dealers do.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #17

If it's new, you got a lemon. If it's used and still under warranty you better get so friends to help you find the rest of the problems. If anybody thinks this is normal they must own stock in FR and don't believe in quality control.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I'd have to say No Lemon, one thing is the chassis giving you any problems? The things your listing can be mixed and probably wouldn't cost much to take care of. On the other hand if the motor, electrical or other major components start giving you problems then you might have a problem.

No, mechanically it's fine. It's just the "toys" that are the problem.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:30 AM   #19
Crazy Dog Lady

Very interesting thread! We have owned our Forester 2391TS since mid-May and have yet to get it off the driveway. But I have learned a lot.
One very important thing I learned is that buying a motorhome is not the same as buying a car. Problems, it seems, are to be expected. The dealership I was dealing with was worse than useless but I bent some arms and got the worst of the bugs fixed.
So, now I know that buying a motorhome is more like buying a house. There is always something to fix, but generally the issues are surmountable. There is still one light for which I have not found the switch.
I wish there was MUCH better documentation of all the components. The "owners manual" that came with the motorhome is not even good enough for toilet paper (and would only clog up the black tank). I would like to get my hands on a good block diagram and schematic of the charging system as I would like to add a second battery. And it seems I need to take the generator apart to find out if it has a shut-off valve for the fuel. Ah, the joys of motorhome ownership...
Granny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:56 AM   #20

When the industry is pulling in 50 billion in 2015, poor quality doesn't really seem to concern them. Pulled nine wall sockets looking for broken wire and noticed the only insulation in the entire trailer are little tuffs of bat insulation stuffed here and there. I can see the exterior metal thru every hole that I can look thru inside the trailer. Not surprised that 2 AC units can't keep up with the heat. One AC unit did fine in my old Jayco. I have never seen sure poor quality in my life.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote