Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #1

Do I have to level to open my slides?

Apologies first, A newbie to travel trailers and I have looked for an answer to this question but have not seen it specifically answered. So If it is here, I missed it.

I have 2 slides on my TT and just brought it home to do some maintenance. I kept it hooked to my truck and it is fairly level front to back and side to side, but not perfect. Is it a problem to have the slides out while attached to the truck and not perfectly level? Should I drop my stabilizers while hooked to the truck?
pd2436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:24 PM   #2

I would think that it depends on how long you plan to leave it like that. For prolonged times, I would suggest leveling and putting the stabilizers down. Whether the stabilizers are down or not shouldn't matter when you open it.
RFGTLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #3

Just a day or 2 while I get it ready to go on the first trip next week.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #4

I leave my Cedar Creek fifth wheel slides out all the time with just the front two jacks down. I'm not camping just now but the slides stay out. If I'm camping and just staying for one night only the front jacks are down for one night
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:08 PM   #5

Yes, you need to be level, otherwise there's a possibility you could tweak or twist it. We always level up completely before putting out the slides, whether home or camping.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:18 PM   #6

I must be lucky because I have been putting the slides out without the level up, just the front jacks down for at least four years
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #7
Retired Army MSG!

Actually leveling first can sometimes cause the frame to twist slightly and find the slide out. If you are relatively level you are safe to deploy slide prior to putting stabilizers down.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #8

As long as it is reasonably level yes you can open them. Stabilizers do not need to be down.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:27 PM   #9

Leveling with sliders out.

Checking with the slide manufacture, I believe that the slides should only be extended when the RV is leveled. If not, it could cause some twisting of the slide or the mechanism to be stressed. A friend of mine extended his slide on a slight incline, it cause slide to cock and twist in the frame and could not retract it. Caused a major repair bill.
paule253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule253 View Post
Checking with the slide manufacture, I believe that the slides should only be extended when the RV is leveled. If not, it could cause some twisting of the slide or the mechanism to be stressed. A friend of mine extended his slide on a slight incline, it cause slide to cock and twist in the frame and could not retract it. Caused a major repair bill.
Same here, owners manual for my Chaparral said level and supports down before extending slide outs. Mine would bind if it wasn't.
Nascon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #11

And all those RV dealers with the slides out with unlevel sales lots and no stabilizers out.............. could be some of the issues today ??

I have had two campers with super slides and never worried about the stabilizers or being perfectly level with no ill effects when I am at home.............. but no if it is way out of level I do not extend the slides.....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
Yes, you need to be level, otherwise there's a possibility you could tweak or twist it. We always level up completely before putting out the slides, whether home or camping.
Prior to our first trip our 5er was parked way out of level at our home with the slides out while we loaded. I ran the slides in, the big living room slide apparently tourqued and the top plate broke off in several pieces. Chunks of trim flew off too. I brought the trailer back to the dealer where it was repaired, but not covered by the warranty or extended service contract.
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #13
Sunstar35F

The Physics or Common Sense approach

So...just applying the common sense approach or looking at the physics of the mechanical Sytems....
You are asking electric motors to move a large 3 dimensional mass (the slides) that is spread out over a distance.

If you have the motors move the mass on an uneven tilt, the weight of the mass will be heavier at whatever point is lower. The torque will be higher on that motor and the 3D mass will have tendacy to twist. The amount of torque, twisting and strain on the motor will be proportional to the amount of uneven level so... on a slightly uneven level the effects will be smaller than that where the level is greater.

Bottom line, stabilize & level first, then deploy slides. Failure to do so can and will put undue stress on motors and slide extension components and even the slides themselves.
mjpallone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpallone View Post
So...just applying the common sense approach or looking at the physics of the mechanical Sytems....
You are asking electric motors to move a large 3 dimensional mass (the slides) that is spread out over a distance.

If you have the motors move the mass on an uneven tilt, the weight of the mass will be heavier at whatever point is lower. The torque will be higher on that motor and the 3D mass will have tendacy to twist. The amount of torque, twisting and strain on the motor will be proportional to the amount of uneven level so... on a slightly uneven level the effects will be smaller than that where the level is greater.

Bottom line, stabilize & level first, then deploy slides. Failure to do so can and will put undue stress on motors and slide extension components and even the slides themselves.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #15
I Break Everything

I don't know about the structure of your unit, back when we had a 5th wheel we were in a KOA sort a close to Chicago. The site was grass, It wasn't level at all. I level it up a little. Not enough. It rained and rained and rained. Not lots of water, but some water came the direction of the slant in through the slide.

It wasn't much, but it did cause a headache.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:06 PM   #16

Schwintek should only be opened after RV is leveled. The rack and pinion is a little more forgiving, not much, if the slide goes out crooked some of the rack bolts may fracture/brake. Replacing parts and pieces in either system is not for amateurs.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #17

You can leave the trailer hooked to the TV but you have to be level, I wouldn't even dare to put out a swhintec (spelling) system not level. You might get by if your a little off with the LCI gear system but it will stress. There are gears that are set at level if you to far off it will cause an alignment problem going in and out. You do not need the stabs down but you should be as level as possible, UNLESS YOU HAVE A LOT OF $$$$....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #18

What about the fridge?

My only thought was if you are getting ready to leave in a few days you may be pre-cooling the fridge which works better if the rig is level.

2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS Classic Platinum Edition
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:49 PM   #19

In my case the slide is very large running the entire side of the MH. It's heavy enough that it unlevels the MH when deployed after leveling first. So I programmed the Bigfoot to take into consideration the weight of the slide. Now I can safely use Bigfoot with the slide in and when I deploy the slide it goes to perfect level. I would not have a slide out while using Bigfoot as a SOP.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:38 PM   #20

level

thanks for all the replies. Like so many other topics, it seems we all do things a bit differently based on our experiences and trailers. I will go on the safe side and not open the slides unless I'm level.
I'm lucky that my street in front of the house is fairly level and to get it perfect I have to unhitch and level front to back, but not a big deal.

Better safe than sorry! Thanks again for all the replies, much appreciated as I am new to this.

Tags
slide