Old 03-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #91
Just ordered a small hybrid, and decided to not get the oven. If we're camping its summer and we're grilling, or simmering stovetop, or crockpotting. That's quite enough cooking for a vacation! I'm so glad I will have more storage, cause it will be tight!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:26 PM   #92
Storage can be about the same I would guess if the oven uses to store things in when not in use. Maybe best of both world ??

CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #93
Pizza stone trick is everything. Great biscuits and brownies. We use our oven every trip

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
What is the pizza stone trick
danielabram71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:27 PM   #94
A small (12") pizza stone placed directly above the burner distributes the heat evenly and helps eliminate the hot spots that cause burning on the bottom of baked foods. Makes all the difference in the world. Amazon sells the small stones. Another person posted that unglazed tiles work too. Haven't tried that. But the concept is the same. Force that direct heat to envelop itself around the oven's sided. You'll be impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RiverBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:45 PM   #95
One of the major reasons my wife and I bought our Apex 189FBS was because it had a "full" kitchen with an oven. All the other sub 24' ultralites just had microwaves.

I just use a round teflon pizza sheet pan to difuse the heat. Being able to cook inside when it is a bit frigid outside is well worth it!! I made a full New Years day dinner with turkey breast, stuffing, baked yams, roasted carrots, gravy, fresh cranberry sauce and brussel sprouts in my little compact kitchen. It was 30 degrees outside!

I also setup an outdoor kitchen with a 2 burner stove, small weber grill and a large dutch oven.
Chevy Silverado 1500 V8 5.3L DBL Cab
Apex 189FBS
a59cheffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #96
we always use our oven from our very 1st TT to now. each oven is different most of our ovens had a way to adjust the temp to get it accurate and we had a great time with those. Our last TT (2014 Avenger) there was now way to adjust the temp (if it wasn't accurate) and that oven would burn everything on the bottom yet the middle and top would be raw. so we measured the inside dimensions of the oven and shopped around and found a round 13 inch diameter pizza stone and that fixed the problem. we will be using the stone in our new 5th wheel. we always at elast bake biscuits or corn bread when camping
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #97
geezer with gadgets
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
The stones are subject to breakage so wrap it in a towel or some kind of padding before moving down the road.

Do most of you wrap your stones while traveling down the road to prevent breakage?
I see what you did there

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 56
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:02 PM   #98
If you are using a wood fire you can use a cast iron dutch oven with a trivit in the bottom and place a pan of biscuits etc in it to bake. there is a chart on Pinterest that shows how to apply coals below and on top to get the right temp. Love cooking over the fire, but when weather is bad like having a kitchen inside for cooking. I have even purchased a cast iron pizza pan and will be trying it out sometime this summer. love my cast iron weather cooking on fire or on the stove. happy cooking and eating whichever way you do it.. this has been an interesting post...
Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #99
Moderator Emeritus
We, also, don't use our stove for very much...not even for storage!

But I can see us using it during longer drives to make coffee or fry some food since the BBQ and microwave aren't an option when wanting something quick before getting back on the road.
Rick & Karen
(Retired USAF, MSgt)
Monument, Colorado
5-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #100
we looked and looked for the unglazed tiles but couldn't find any so we bought the pizza stone.

ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote