Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2015, 07:42 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
We purchased this RV last July. It came with convection microwave & a cooktop. No oven.

Wife doesn't like it without an oven. So where does that leave me ??

While in Florida in this winter I went to local dealer and ordered an oven. Took out the drawer below cooktop and installed new oven & cooktop combo.

I now have a convection microwave combo & an oven cooktop combo that all look like the coach came from factory with them. I lost a large storage drawer. Very easy switch.

Even more important the wife is happy--and the bad side I'm lighter by about $800.

Russell

lol Russell. You need to keep the wife happy.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #42

We use ours all the time, especially if you run into days of bad weather.

There is not a broiler option in most ovens, I have never seen one with. Biggest trick other than getting the lighting of the pilot light down to a science is now the heat settings.

Campers definately keep the Pilsbury Dough Boy in business, thousand uses for them.

I have heard people say before they do not use the oven as they do not want to put cooked food smells in their camper.....I say why did you buy the camper if you were not going to use it. If you are on that tangent, don't use the bathroom either!

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #43

The oven is used every time we go out with the trailer!
Old 03-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #44

biggest problem we have ever had is learning to get the air out of the gas lines so everything light easier. When setting up camp I light all burners and let burn for a little bit to purge the gas lines. Just have to know where the pilot light is so you can get lighter close enough to light the pilot. I like to cook over fire but when it rains it nice to have a back up plan.
Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #45

We use ours every trip. Like others have said, fries, onion rings, biscuits, cinnamon rolls, regular rolls, pizza. I am the cook at home and the DW and I work together cooking in the camper. I cant imagine having a camper without an over. We do have a large unglazed pizza stone and that really helps cooking evenly. With that said we do keep the cooking temps lower and cook longer.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:03 PM   #46

We use ours mainly in the fall when in gets cold. Baked ziti casseroles cookies. It is hard to light but its just like a gas oven. Don't get me wrong, I love the grill but enjoy the smell coming from an oven too.
NYDP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:10 PM   #47

Use ours all the time. A little hard to light the pilot light but it keeps me limber.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #48

Never.
lkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:46 PM   #49
Dazed & Confused

Put us in the yes we use it category. Primarily for things always mentioned. Biscuits, cinnamon rolls, etc.
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #50
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Use ours for storage and occasionally to cook with.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #51

We would not have a camper with out one. Like everyone else used for taters biscuits etc. but also used as a food warmer when cooking for the whole family. Hard to cook hash browns and eggs for 6 at one time. I just get an early start and put them in the oven as cooked. Woks great.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #52

I'm so glad I started this post! So many great tips on using the oven. I have a round pizza stone I use at home so I will definitely be moving it to the camper. We are moving our camper out of indoor storage to my daughter's house the end of the month. It will be scary getting it out of storage and towing it since this is our first TT and the only thing we have ever towed was a pop-up. But we are so excited to be able to start using it and figuring out how everything works.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:14 PM   #53

We use a small convection oven from Wallmart $89.00 work great. Keep it out side in out door kitchen. Best money spent / cooks perfect.
lynn brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger60 View Post
I'm so glad I started this post! So many great tips on using the oven. I have a round pizza stone I use at home so I will definitely be moving it to the camper. We are moving our camper out of indoor storage to my daughter's house the end of the month. It will be scary getting it out of storage and towing it since this is our first TT and the only thing we have ever towed was a pop-up. But we are so excited to be able to start using it and figuring out how everything works.
The stones are subject to breakage so wrap it in a towel or some kind of padding before moving down the road.

Start out towing slow (baby steps are good) as you put miles behind you it will become second nature.

No person on this forum or anyplace for that matter started towing like they had done it forever.

Good luck this year and as always.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:28 PM   #55

Oven

As mentioned we have been RVing since 81 and only burned up 1 pizza. That was enough, never used the oven in any of our RV's since. Our 8528IKWS does have a pan drawer under the oven. Two more could have been in place of the oven. I am currently building a truck camper that will have only the 3 burner drop in cook top.
leland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #56

Is there anything that a gas oven will do that a microwave/CONVECTION oven won't do, other than blow you up or singe all the hair off your arm and eyebrows? You can use either one, or both at the same time. You don't need a "stone" with convection heat as it is already equallized throughout the oven. They make great cookies and pizza. Been there, done that.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:39 PM   #57

We have never used the oven in any of our trailers. We have a small sized wood pellet grill that we use for everything from bacon to pizza to casseroles....Since there is no direct flame it is used the same as a convection oven. At home we have a larger pellet grill we use for everything. Hardly ever use the home oven for anything..
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #58

This thread just inspired us to bake a pan of brownies. Rain moved out of N Georgia. Sitting at the fire. Hank Williams mix on Pandora. This is camping! This is the life!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RiverBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #59

2x on the pizza stone!! We burned the bottom of cookies and biscuits till we learned about the pizza stone hack.....made all the difference. Also we added an oven thermometer to ensure the temp was as needed sine we didn't trust the markings on the oven temp knob....learned that the knob markings were very close.
2015 Flagstaff 26RLWS
Equal-i-zer 1000/10,000
mlarryeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #60

We primarily just bake biscuits in the oven and the trick I learned from my grandmother was to flip them about 2/3 way done. Have not thought of the pizza stone before but will have to try that.
Steven379 is offline   Reply With Quote