Old 03-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #1

Do the Manufacturers really have a quality Problem?

Very interesting observation I had the pleasure of making during a 10hr round trip of driving I completed over the last few days.

On my way I met quite a few RVs being hauled by trucks in mid winter and tons of salt. These trailers are on their way to the dealers and in some cases being transferred between dealers. All well and good, most Canadian drivers are aware of this and it is part of the the general knowledge your rig most likely shipped in the winter months to be there first season. Some prefer to order mid season so they do not deal with this, good dealers wash them well.

The second part is what got me, I was driving 75MPH which was speeding by roughly 10MPH, (Not Hauling). These trucks were catching me and going by me, not as if I was standing still but by me quickly, My guess is 90MPH, on roads after a Canadian winter which are very very bad from the salt waking the asphalt and the low places tearing it up. I watched these campers in the brief time they were in my line of site hitting many pot hols and bumps that made them come clear off the ground. The jolts and shapes these things were going through were unreal. There is no way those campers are making it to the destination without issues of trim and things being clear torn apart.

I often see post where the integrity of the manufacturer is put into question and it is asked how can they let it leave this way. My question is, would what I saw today be common practise? Is this back to the dealer PDI lacking as the main problem and not a Quality issue at the manufacturer?

This would not cover some of the things we get, bad back flow valves, fading paint, staples through a pipe and such. But much of the broken items my bet could be in how they are hauled before their forever home.

X96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #2

Those haulers are paid by the mile,less time = more time to pick up and delive a back haul,and it pays the same.When I was in the marina business our new boats would be delivered in the same manner (contract haulers).When they picked up the boat or boats from the factory they would have to fill out 3 different sheets that would note size,location,and severity of any defects,The mfg would keep one copy.After they got here they would turn in one copy to us,then we would go out and re- survey the boat/trailer to check the acuracy of thier first evaluation,and note any new damage, The driver would have to sign off on it and as part of his contract agreement,was financeuly responceable for any damage that occured on his haul.The factory would only authorize warranty repair on the items marked on the first sheet,anything else was on the drivers insurance.They were way more acountable for the haul knowing that they were responcable for damage.broken or missing items.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:25 PM   #3

The manufacturer needs to own the whole process for quality and service. At the end of the day, any issues with the RV will be tied back to the manufacturer, directly or vicariously by way of lousy dealers or middlemen. Pull contracts from bad dealers and hire your own drivers, if that is what it takes.

You donít see nearly the number or severity of these types of issues from other manufacturers.
Quality of craftsmanship and materials is a whole different story.
Not all RV manufacturers are created equal and in most cases, you really do get what you pay for.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #4

After reading the first post and the speeds that the trailers were being hauled and the abuse from pot holes it is any wonder why the "china bombs" do not hold up. If the trailers were supplied with higher brand tires they would still be bombs just waiting to blow. So many of the tire problems might not be the brand but the delivery driver who does not care about the trailer but just getting it to the dealer.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:40 PM   #5

There is probably some truth in the above post. When our 315 came in the rr tire was half flat,and the lf was down enough that it was noticeable.It only was hauled 60 miles or so,but thats enough to damage any tire.Really didnt matter because we replaced them with marathons before it left the lot.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:48 PM   #6

Uff-dah!!
Old 03-11-2015, 10:27 PM   #7
DDC

The answer to the OP is yes they do, they lack a system of true and consistent quality control, the process that is used to deliver units is also part of their problem, I got a good unit on my last purchase but this is not the first one.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post

You donít see nearly the number or severity of these types of issues from other manufacturers.
Do you have any source data to back that up?

Between Thor (Dutchmen, Heartland, Keystone...) and FR, plus Jayco that has to be the majority of the light weight towables and my perception would be they are all about equal in price and quality from their entry level lines to their higher end brands. And all could improve, but I've never seen any data to say one way or the other.

And to the original topic - maybe they can add "black boxes" to trailers so the future owners can see what kind of abuse the delivery driver put their brand new RV through. Delivering trailers has to be a tough way to earn a living, but they still need to take it easy.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:56 PM   #9

Objective analysis of manufacturers

Something that has probably popped up in everyone's mind at least once is where to find reliable and objective data on manufacturers and their products. Unlike cars or trucks, finding information on the quality of fifth wheel and travel trailers is next to impossible. Anybody have any suggestions other than "you get what you pay for", which isn't always the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Do you have any source data to back that up?

Between Thor (Dutchmen, Heartland, Keystone...) and FR, plus Jayco that has to be the majority of the light weight towables and my perception would be they are all about equal in price and quality from their entry level lines to their higher end brands. And all could improve, but I've never seen any data to say one way or the other.

And to the original topic - maybe they can add "black boxes" to trailers so the future owners can see what kind of abuse the delivery driver put their brand new RV through. Delivering trailers has to be a tough way to earn a living, but they still need to take it easy.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #10

If you go on the forums for the other manufactures I would say they all have there problems.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality