Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #161
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Pwoods, sounds familiar. We had an ‘87 Starcraft Nova that just loved eating tires. We had 2 mounted and 1 loose tire that I would remount and fill with a small 12v.

Early on, I thought I was just overloading the camper. Every trip out, and losing tire after tire. On one trip, lost another, sent wife and kids off to Mikkey D’s. Jacked up the trailer, figured out the axle mounts were flexing, allowing the tires to hit the frame in different spots. Yup, they made crappy cheapness back then too! Just thin sheet metal supports to the frame for the axle. Fgot lucky and found a willing welder to let me use his shop, made new brackets and supports. Never lost a tire after that. (Got a job offer from the guy too....LOL!) We were able to continue on to Yosemite.

Wrote a great letter to the guy and the Chamber of Commerce. He would not take any money....just pay it forward! (Left him some in his desk anyway). It was ‘92 or ‘93. This was somewhere just north of Lodi, south of Fresno.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Blue View Post
In addition to the 3 gallon, one horse stored in my biggest bay, I carry a Klein slung under the axel on my toad, a Wrangler. My vacuum cleaner reverses for blowing up water toys and air mattresses.

Why? I carry a half inch drive impact that runs 450 ft.lbs. of torque. An air grinder and a high pressure nozzle for cleaning with air pressure. You only have to be stranded boon docking a single time when ten miles back a dirt road and 75 miles from the nearest village with a blowout to affirm you will be self reliant next time.
Yep, yep, yep. We boondock 99 percent of the time. Live and work in the city, so we RV to be in the middle of nowhere.. alone or with close friends. You can actually dismount and mount a tire to a rim in the sticks with some good tire spoons, compressor, and physical strength. Beer helps too. YouTube it.
My toyhauler carries almost as many tools as my garage at home. It's a lot of crap to carry around, but one must be as self reliant as possible in the sticks. If I could be sure that my Onan 4000 would handle a Lincoln 140 MIG, I'll carry one of those too. ?
But, if you're a RV park type, all you need to carry is cash, check, or Amex.
ADVtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #163

compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Lots of posts on this. Many carry a compressor. Many use a small pancake from whatever their favorite store is. I went with a Viair 400P, mostly due to its small size and overall capacity - it can fill 100+ PSI tires. Good luck
We carry a small 120v oilless pancake compressor in our Class C. No problem getting the tires to 80 psi. Also use it to blow out waterlines in winter. Usually end up winterizing at least three times due to tripe south, so makes the process quick and painless.

2005 Forester 2901
2005 Scion XB
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires